Can You Reduce Picture FILE Size in Gallery?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
With my S5 I could reduce the file size of a picture. Not everyone wants to receive a 5MB photo! I can't find a way to reduce the file size. I can change ratio but no way to reduce the picture file size by 75% or 50% etc.
Thanks

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If they removed that (and I'm pretty sure they have) that's crazy! Everyone sends cell phone pictures but not everyone wants to use up that much data or wifi (us satellite internet people have limited data per month) for one picture. Large files are great for printing but an overkill for most photos sent via email or text.
Thanks for the link. I'll look into an app but if it's necessary to use one, I hope it's integrated into the Gallery. Don't want to have to save, exit, open another app, and save again.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't sending a pic via text automatically reduce the file size? I've always assumed that it does, but I could be wrong.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it does. It did on my S5. But I normally send pictures via email and it just makes sense that you'd be given the option to reduce the file size. Makes you wonder if some things just simply get overlooked when they're building a new phone and developing new software.

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I just found this on my S7:
Open the file in Gallery
Select Share
Select Email
Select RESIZE IMAGE
You have 3 size options: Large (70%), Medium (30%), Small (10%)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! I had not set up an additional email yet. I was using Gmail and that option is not available. I wonder why?

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
when you send a text it will automatically re size it. I think AT&T is 600KB. I use that for a couple of photos.. anything more you can use email and hit the 25meg limit on allot of those.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded Photo and Picture Resizer from the PlayStore. It's quick, seamlessly works with Gallery. I like it except for the ads. It's almost $5 to buy. A one time fee might be worth it but you have to pay that annually.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame that they removed all of the editing options from lollipop (samsung I guess). Being well versed in photoshop, it's annoying to be left with very few options to edit photos on the fly. Thumbs down, for this. F1.2 without control over it, either isn't very impressive.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that they removed all of the editing options from lollipop (samsung I guess).

Galaxy S7s are on Marshmallow. I don't see what options they removed. From the gallery I can pick a photo and rotate right or left, Auto-adjust or pick edit and edit the picture just like I've always done in the past even on my old phone which was an S5 that was on Lollipop.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S7s are on Marshmallow. I don't see what options they removed. From the gallery I can pick a photo and rotate right or left, Auto-adjust or pick edit and edit the picture just like I've always done in the past even on my old phone which was an S5 that was on Lollipop.

The version of L that I was on had many more editing options like curves, shadows, etc... If these are included in the M version, I'd sure like to know where they are.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Advanced editing ... I see what you are saying. I don't remember any really advanced editing options, just the standards.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

But you can't resize it in Gallery like you used to be able to (S5)

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Never found the need to resize a picture on my phone and I don't know that I ever would. You can however crop any photo in the gallery within two clicks even if it isn't on the menu as an option.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know I can crop a picture and often do. Most pictures are in the 4 to 5 megabyte range. That makes for a huge picture and a larger file size than is necessary to view on a phone or tablet. Not everyone has unlimited data and unlimited Wi-Fi. Not everyone has blazing fast download speeds. I don't want to send a friend a picture of my dog that is 5 mb when 500kb is plenty. Different story if every picture I took and sent was intended for printing. With lollipop you had the option right there in the gallery 2 resize, not crop, picture before sending it.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Most carriers automatically resize any image that gets sent via text in order to use less of their bandwidth. So again, why would I want to resize a photo when my carrier already does that to anything I send? Check with your carrier. If you're on Sprint you are already covered.