Can someone explain the app folder?

PretzelLogic

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm obviously new to Android. I've always used iPhones before I got my S7. So I am confused by the app folder. It seems completely redundant. All my apps are in the app folder, but they also get copied to the home screens. So, why exactly do I need the app folder? Or am I supposed to use it instead of additional home screens? And if so, why are there additional home screens?

Swiping to the left or tapping Apps is six of one, half a dozen of the other. So, what gives?

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You can turn off the automatic pinning of apps to the home screen. The app drawer is designed to give you easy access to all apps while the home screens are for often used apps and widgets.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The answer is that, unlike iOS, you have a choice. You can put all your apps on home screens, or put all your apps in the app drawer, or mix them up how you want them. I put only a few widgets and my most frequently used apps and shortcuts on my home screens, and the rest of them in the app drawer, to reduce clutter.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
It's to store you less commonly used apps offscreen. You can disable the auto add to home screen by opening the play store, going to settings, and unchecking add to home screen.
Remember the garbage folder you had on its own screen trying to hide? This is similar but out of the way. You can also hide apps you will never use, like Verizon..... anything.

I hate having anything I don't want or need on my home screen. For instance. I use trigger daily, runs totally in the background, I never have to actually open the app. So why would I ever want it on my screen. If I ever need to adjust the settings it's a max 3 clicks away.

Posted via the Android Central App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Someone PLEASE tell me how to set a newly download app from pinning it's self to the home screen! That would be great. Not a deal breaker as I just drag them to the trashcan (only eliminates the shortcut on the desktop) but I didn't know there was a setting to stop them from planting themselves there in the first place :)

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Someone PLEASE tell me how to set a newly download app from pinning it's self to the home screen! That would be great. Not a deal breaker as I just drag them to the trashcan (only eliminates the shortcut on the desktop) but I didn't know there was a setting to stop them from planting themselves there in the first place :)

Playstore-settings-add icon to home screen. Untick it

Mecomug

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
You can get rid of the app drawer of you feel you don't want it. In settings go to advanced features, galaxy labs and show all apps on homescreen

TB-1599

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
You can get rid of the app drawer of you feel you don't want it. In settings go to advanced features, galaxy labs and show all apps on homescreen

I tried that my self but AT&T has blocked access to galaxy labs :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze