Differences between US and International S7? Pro's and Con's?

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
If you will use the Int'l version on Sprint, you may have problems making calls.

The Int'l version doesn't support VoLTE and Sprints voice calls (circuit switching) are over CDMA.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Features like VoLTE, something called "shutter," and the like.

If you will use the Int'l version on Sprint, you may have problems making calls.

The Int'l version doesn't support VoLTE and Sprints voice calls (circuit switching) are over CDMA.

Posted via the Android Central App

VoLTE on the Global model is supported and covered, as described in post #11, above.

Not heard of, "Shutter". Perhaps you could elaborate.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't watch the video comparing the exynos vs snapdragon until now and I was kind of shocked how much better the exynos performed at opening apps. It was a night and day difference. I wish they repeated this test a few times to see if the results held.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I didn't watch the video comparing the exynos vs snapdragon until now and I was kind of shocked how much better the exynos performed at opening apps. It was a night and day difference. I wish they repeated this test a few times to see if the results held.

I know! I was quite impressed too! I'd actually seen that video prior to posting this thread, and was one of the reasons I'm so keen on going with the Int'l version. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really going to be that big of a deal other than maybe warranty issues? Ironass has pretty well shown that it is able to function on a GSM network like AT&T, which is where I will be using it, without issues. Perhaps if we could get someone to comment on this thread who actually owns an Int'l version and uses it here in the US if they have any issues with it, and if so, what?

capT

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Features like VoLTE, something called "shutter," and the like.

Hey Emerald, are you referring to the slow motion video feature of the S7 perhaps? Just saw something on YouTube called Hi Speed Shutter when referring to the S7, and it was the slo-mo feature. Just wondering if that might be what you are thinking of?

capT

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I believe so. Is that feature disabled on Qualcomm devices, or Sprint devices only?

Hmm, I'll have to look and see where I saw this again, but I saw an article somewhere that did a comparison between the US and Int'l version of the slow motion feature, and found that the US version had glitches, where the Int'l version was smooth as can be. Ah, here it is:

Snapdragon 820 Galaxy S7 suffering from slow-mo video stuttering

It doesn't necessarily say if one carrier has disabled the feature or not, but it doesn't sound like it. Then again, check the comments on it, there may be some mention there? I don't know for sure, didn't read all of them. Good luck.

capT

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone is interested, I just found a very interesting post here on AC that has some good info.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...lular-band-support-chart-usa.html#post4982370

There is a link there to a willmyphonework.net, which once I went there, looks like what ironass posted regarding if all the AT&T bands would work. Looks like you can check it for any phone on any network. Figured I'd share that as it is good info.

capT

sammy_pit

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Mr CapT, so what did you get eventually?
I am trying to get the S7 Edge global version (will be using with AT&T) as it much cheaper than the US version.
Still deciding over next 2 days to go with Edge at all, due to all the @*exploding*@ batteries out there.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Mr CapT, so what did you get eventually?
I am trying to get the S7 Edge global version (will be using with AT&T) as it much cheaper than the US version.
Still deciding over next 2 days to go with Edge at all, due to all the @*exploding*@ batteries out there.

Sammy,
I ended up purchasing the S7 in pearl white from Amazon, unlocked, from the UK. It actually ended up coming as a dual SIM interestingly enough. So far, I've not had any real problems with it, and I like it very much. The charger it came with was for the UK, so I had to get my own charger for it. I ended up getting a white fast charger (US version), and it works great! I ended up seeing it for a great price at Amazon, but I wanted it that day, and it wasn't a same day delivery item. So I showed the posting on Amazon to the clerk at Best Buy and they matched the price for me, saving me about $10! There is only one or two strange things I've encountered using this phone. In the contacts, I CANNOT sort them by last name! It's just different. There is something about VoLTE but it is grayed out. I guess the version of software on this phone does not enable that yet, even though the hardware should be able to do it. Because it is dual SIM, every phone number in the call log, or in the texts shows up with a tiny little blue SIM icon with the number "1" in it, I suppose to show which SIM card it is using to contact that number...? Not a huge deal on any of those right now. The battery life is pretty good. I'm trying a little harder on this one not to leave it plugged in all the time like I did my S4. So far so good. Some days are better than others batterywise, and I'm not entirely sure why sometimes. In any case, I think I got lucky with a very capable and well featured phone, that I enjoy using.

capT

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
You will have to get used to receiving bugfix/security updates direct from Samsung every 4-8 weeks approx:

You will have around another 1 GB of phone storage.

You will NOT have any of the following AT&T apps...

• AT&T Locker: Cloud storage from AT&T.
  • AT&T Protect Plus: Cloud backups, device locator and "Pro Tech support."
  • Device Help: Essentially a wrapper for the att.com help pages
  • DirecTV: AT&T purchased satellite TV company DirecTV in 2015, and now their app is right here for you
  • Drive Mode: Sets auto-replies to texts and calls straight to voicemail when moving faster than 25 mph
  • myAT&T: Access your AT&T account
  • Plenti: A rewards program in conjunction with Exxon, Macy's Hulu, and others
  • Smart Limits: Parental controls on times, calls, data, and more
  • Usage Manager: Track data usage by app
  • Visual Voicemail: View your voicemails with your eyeballs

The Global Galaxy S7, G930F, is compatible with the AT&T network on the following bands...

[url]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/ironass01/G930F%20on%20ATampT_zps9foxqapp.png[/URL]

The AT&T Samsung models just always feel like a better model, overall. They feel like their built stronger, I've noticed that the Galaxy lights are brighter(as if their models have LED's, I suppose?) and like you said, they get preloaded with useful extras as opposed to the Sprint model which comes with absolutely nothing in it and a less appealing home screen setup. Any idea as to why this is? Have been trying to figure it out and I want to get one and I feel like the AT&T model is the only one to go for. Thanks.

Steven Inman

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
I know! I was quite impressed too! I'd actually seen that video prior to posting this thread, and was one of the reasons I'm so keen on going with the Int'l version. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really going to be that big of a deal other than maybe warranty issues? Ironass has pretty well shown that it is able to function on a GSM network like AT&T, which is where I will be using it, without issues. Perhaps if we could get someone to comment on this thread who actually owns an Int'l version and uses it here in the US if they have any issues with it, and if so, what?

capT

From what i've seen, i tried to use a int model with metro PCS(t-mobile) and it didn't want to work properly. Best bet is to use a us model if your in the us that way you know you have all the bands that are in use here and you should have most bands for int for whatever carrier you use. Not sure if you are a diy'er but also it seems to me that due to the different chipsets certain parts are incompatible with the f models. something to keep in mind too.

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
From what i've seen, i tried to use a int model with metro PCS(t-mobile) and it didn't want to work properly. Best bet is to use a us model if your in the us that way you know you have all the bands that are in use here and you should have most bands for int for whatever carrier you use. Not sure if you are a diy'er but also it seems to me that due to the different chipsets certain parts are incompatible with the f models. something to keep in mind too.
Now it is better to get the US unlocked version (SM-G930U) instead of the international one (SM-G930F). Note that unlike carrier models it supports both GSM and CDMA. That means that it should work on most all US carriers including AT&T, TMobile and Verizon. Another advantage is that the SM-G930U comes with a US warranty while the SM-G930F does not. Mine works just fine on metroPCS.

Ethan Kispert

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site

capT

To answer your question, I am using an international Galaxy S7 (G930FD) and it runs better than I expected here in the US. I get 4G constantly and no LTE, which may have something to do with the kind of phone I have. I haven't had any issues with the phone yet as far as I know. The Exynos version I have is pretty snappy and gets all of the tasks done that I throw at it. Definitely a worthy buy in my opinion.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The lack of LTE might be causing your internet connection to be slower than it could be - but since any internet speed over 5mbps doesn't really affect the device (yet, in early 2018 - if you're reading this in 2118 please try to not laugh too much), it doesn't matter much for practical purposes.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To answer your question, I am using an international Galaxy S7 (G930FD) and it runs better than I expected here in the US. I get 4G constantly and no LTE, which may have something to do with the kind of phone I have. I haven't had any issues with the phone yet as far as I know. The Exynos version I have is pretty snappy and gets all of the tasks done that I throw at it. Definitely a worthy buy in my opinion.
4G is LTE. It's the same thing. LTE is just a type of 4G. The international version just displays it that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon