What should I expect? Any major hitches moving from iOS to Android and or Touchwiz? Any suggestions about how to deal with losing iMessage and how to make sure I don't miss text/group messages from those who have iPhones?
    04-11-2016 07:39 PM
    What should I expect? Any major hitches moving from iOS to Android and or Touchwiz? Any suggestions about how to deal with losing iMessage and how to make sure I don't miss text/group messages from those who have iPhones?
    Expect to finally feel like you have a real phone that enables you to do simple things easily without the need for the complicated iTunes and now you have the best phone camera to date
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    04-11-2016 08:47 PM
    Just make sure you turn off IMessage and unregister before you switch. I agree you won't look back if you want a phone to do what you want. Not do what apple says you can. It's such a pleasure to be apple to move music and photos around without the OS fighting against you. Is the S7 perfect. No but it's the best ive come across, for me. WhatsApp is a great alternative to I message.
    04-12-2016 06:05 AM
    I think your biggest hitches are going to depend on how invested you are in the Apple garden. How many other iOS devices do you have? For example, I have an iMac and several Apple TV's, my wife and son have an iPhone. I do miss iMessage a bit, as it is nice to see when someone reads a message on the iPhone, but texting and group messaging works fine other than that. Just follow Alanhd's advice about turning iMessage off first on your iphone before you swap to ensure a clean move to Android.
    I also miss some of the ease of interoperability between iOS device (AirPlay to the AppleTV, etc.). Yes, there are work-arounds such as AllCast, but it's slightly more cumbersome.
    However, with that said I've been on Android for several years now and the customization and being free to do whatever I want, rather than constrained within the walled garden is something I wouldn't change. And the camera is great - the auto-focus is super quick and puts my wife's iPhone 6 to shame in the ability to quickly focus on things, especially in lower light situations.
    Most of the other things I missed most on the iPhone have all be addressed by newer versions of Android or by the OEM manufacturers (i.e. quick-launch of a the camera from the lockscreen - I hated on my first Android - the Galaxy S3 - that I had to unlock my device just to get to the camera). But on the Galaxy S7, having the ability to double-click the Home button from ANY screen, from inside ANY app, including with the screen turned off and launch the camera is so cool!
    Ok, I could go on and on. Welcome to Android!
    By the way, if you don't like Touchwiz, you could always try another launcher such as Nova. If you don't like the Messages app, you could always try another messaging app such as Google Messenger or Textra. If you don't like the keyboard, you could always replace it with either Google's keyboard or Swiftkey. That's the beauty of Android. If something isn't to your liking, there most likely really is "an app for that".
    anon(1733) likes this.
    04-12-2016 01:01 PM
    That is the best thing about Android you are correct. If there is anything you don't like there is almost always a replacement or several replacements.
    04-12-2016 04:16 PM
    I'm a new switcher. The Samsung swipe keyboard is magical. My wife insists it reads minds. She's still on an iPhone, so I miss iMessage and Find My Friends. iMessage is irreplaceable but there are Android replacements for finding friends and family.

It's so nice to plug in my phone and not have freaking iPhoto and iTunes automatically open. Get an app to backup your text messages if you're want to keep them, they aren't automatically backed up.
    04-12-2016 10:57 PM
    iMessage is irreplaceable
    iMessage is not irreplaceable. My regular texting works perfectly with people across all platforms, whether I'm using Textra or the Verizon Messaging+ app. Not to mention other options like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. Plenty of choices. The only thing I "miss" about iMessages is that the videos always looked much better, but there are ways to combat that also.
    04-13-2016 07:09 AM
    iMessage is not irreplaceable. My regular texting works perfectly with people across all platforms, whether I'm using Textra or the Verizon Messaging+ app. Not to mention other options like Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. Plenty of choices. The only thing I "miss" about iMessages is that the videos always looked much better, but there are ways to combat that also.
    iMessage encrypts all messages between iPhone users, it's backed up to the user's account as well. iMessage allows the user to pick up conversations on their computer or tablet seamlessly, and it uses wifi/data rather than sms between iPhone users as well. With all due respect, for me personally, it remains irreplaceable.
    04-13-2016 07:25 PM
    iMessage encrypts all messages between iPhone users, it's backed up to the user's account as well. iMessage allows the user to pick up conversations on their computer or tablet seamlessly, and it uses wifi/data rather than sms between iPhone users as well. With all due respect, for me personally, it remains irreplaceable.
    In other words, everything that Verizon's Messages+ app does. (Aside from the encryption, that I'm not 100 percent certain about). I get every text message on every device I own using Messages+. With all due respect.
    t0ked likes this.
    04-14-2016 06:49 AM
    In other words, everything that Verizon's Messages+ app does. (Aside from the encryption, that I'm not 100 percent certain about). I get every text message on every device I own using Messages+. With all due respect.
    I'm not on Verizon.
    04-14-2016 08:59 AM
    I did the same thing recently. Love my GS7! Soooo FAST!

Things to note:
    -Free apps aren't free. I've paid to get rid of ads on most of the free apps from the Google Play Store.
    -Themes are very cool.
    -Not everything "just works" because you can customize the crap out of anything on the phone.
    -You won't get OS updates on day 1 like you did with the iPhone.

I have no regrets switching.
    04-14-2016 12:35 PM
    Expect to finally feel like you have a real phone that enables you to do simple things easily without the need for the complicated iTunes and now you have the best phone camera to date
    Really? Because I'm a week into it and missing the ease with which my iPhone does things. Also battery is no where near as good so I'm about ready to put my sim back in my allegedly inferior iPhone. Nor has iTunes ever felt complicated in 10+ years... Not that I've actually used it in the last few years because it's not necessary anymore.

I've never, not once, in the 20+ different flagships I've owned, ever felt like I don't have a real phone.

Can't you simply answer the OP question without going full fanboy?
    04-18-2016 02:50 PM
    I agree. I'm into it one week and feel the same. I don't think I'm made for Android. I pledged to keep it one month and it's an awesome phone, but I miss the iPhone too much. Not sure I'll make it one month, but I'll try.
    7AndTRT likes this.
    04-18-2016 03:01 PM
    I agree. I'm into it one week and feel the same. I don't think I'm made for Android. I pledged to keep it one month and it's an awesome phone, but I miss the iPhone too much. Not sure I'll make it one month, but I'll try.
    That's the thing. I've already had to charge it once today. I took it off charge an hour ago and I'm already down to 84. Compared to my 6S it's terrible and I have no power tweaks on my iPhone and I've gone through settings, adjusted everything I can, disabled bloat... It's a beautiful phone but this isn't my first flagship rodeo with Samsung and I hoped the battery would be better but so far its the same old thing. I never have to baby the battery on the 6S.
    04-18-2016 03:07 PM
    Mod Note -Some posts have been cleaned. Let's keep this civil everyone. There is no reason at all to take a civil discussion into an insult / trolling fest.
    Snappy Phoenix and t0ked like this.
    04-18-2016 10:59 PM
    Most of my friends who have switched to Android from iOS, will say they miss imessages and facetime the most, so expect that. There aren't any real equivalents in the Android world. If you are on Verizon, their messages+ program will likely be the most comparable (wifi messaging, multi platform support and syncing) plus with Verizon advanced calling there's always the option of making a video call. Otherwise we have to rely on apps to makes video calls (hangouts, WhatsApp,etc).

It used to be a big issue before switching over from imessages, but now all you have to do is make sure you turn off I messaging on your iPhone before switching. There shouldn't be a problem missing texts and such as Apple overhauled that on their end.

Battery life has been mixed from the reviews here. Most put the battery life of these phones as such, 6s -> S7 -> 6s+ -> S7edge. (The last two are highly debated). I find my S7 does outlast the 6s phones some of my colleagues have. I've never had to charge it during the day. With good use (Bluetooth in my car to and from work, multiple phonecalls, lots of texting, a little bit of web surfing, app use (medical programs), with much of this in a hospital that blocks some cell signal) I usually have about 20% left at the end of the day, but obviously your miles will vary.

You're switching over to the best Android phone you can buy right now, but even then it could be over whelming. Be sure to read and ask a lot on these forums. And try and ignore all the childish talk that sometimes gets in the way of real advice.
    04-19-2016 02:26 AM
    In my opinion fast charge takes the cake for battery life... I can fast charge for 20 mins and gain over 20% battery life.... and customization..... oh how I love not being a robot. Apple tells consumers what they can or can't do... android doesnt. The reason I always come back. I love my gs7

Posted via the Android Central App
    yunique likes this.
    04-21-2016 08:16 PM