S7 auto correct stopped working...

mtngant

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
How do I get auto-correct to come back? It used to work, but is now gone.

Something that can be so irritating ... can really be missed when it is gone...:confused:

Thanks.

mtngant

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Okay. I found it.

Settings... Language and input... Samsung Keyboard... Predictive text and/or Auto check spelling.

Previously I had tried going through "Default keyboard" but I couldn't get there by that route. You have to go through "Samsung Keyboard".

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for posting! Mine somehow turned off and was driving me insane

Okay. I found it.

Settings... Language and input... Samsung Keyboard... Predictive text and/or Auto check spelling.

Previously I had tried going through "Default keyboard" but I couldn't get there by that route. You have to go through "Samsung Keyboard".

Thanks.

weaponsguru

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
My auto correct / predictive text just doesn't work - full stop!

It is really irritating!

I have it switched on in the correct settings i.e. In the "General Management, Language and input, Virtual keyboard, Samsung Keyboard" - I have Predictive and Auto check switched on.

But ....

I get some options when I am typing, but I cannot just start typing and then allow the "prediction" to be inserted (as I did with my S6 edge on Marshmallow that I just traded in).
Even when I have typed a word - or misspelled a word, it doesn't correct it for me - it shows me some options, but the best that i (occasionally) get is my typed word - whether it is correctly spelt or not, is one of the options I can select on the top.

There is no auto correct, no auto complete on any of the apps that I use the keyboard for.

The phone was bought with Marshmallow in Dubai, but when I got home, I got a download message with a Nougat update which I downloaded.

Am I the only person with this problem or are we many?

criscuit_love

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Ok I figured it out. language and input, samsung keyboard, and then go to reset settings at the bottom, and reset keyboard settings. Hope that helps!

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I notice lately when typing the words out they don't have spaces in between automatically. didn't it put the spaces in automatically by default before with Marshmallow? I'm assuming it did since I'm typing out of habit and not putting spaces in.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I notice lately when typing the words out they don't have spaces in between automatically. didn't it put the spaces in automatically by default before with Marshmallow? I'm assuming it did since I'm typing out of habit and not putting spaces in.
If you go to into your keyboard settings you can turn auto spacing on.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Try turning it off and turning it back on. If that doesn't work, on the bottom of the same settings page tap reset settings and then reset keyboard settings.
I reset the keyboard but it didn't help. But I know it worked for facebook this morning. But not a text message. Or on here. If I Swype it puts in the spaces.

Orion798

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Hey all. Here's the issue essentially. When your Android or Samsung suddenly stops spell correlating, first go to settings, language input, keyboard etc. and ensure the settings for autocorrect are enabled. If they aren't, choose them and go back out to test their efficacy.

If you find they still don't work, go back in and 'reset keyboard settings'. Then once again ensure that you've selected autocorrect etc because it might get deselected.

If that doesn't work. Do it all over again and also restart the phone. Then check

If that doesn't work, make sure you have the latest updates and restart.

If that doesn't work, take phone to repair man.

Steerpike58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I reset the keyboard but it didn't help. But I know it worked for facebook this morning. But not a text message. Or on here. If I Swype it puts in the spaces.

I have same problem with my new S7. I turned on 'auto-check spelling' and that caused words to be underlined in red, but not 'corrected' automatically. I saw no 'auto-correct' option anywhere. But I did find, under 'Predictive text', the option to 'auto-replace' words.

This seems to be the closest to auto-correct, but is not the same ... predictive text and auto-replace seems more than just correcting mis-spelled words.

In summary - there's
Language and input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Samsung Keyboard -> Auto Check Spelling On/Language
Language and input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Samsung Keyboard -> Predictive text -> On/Auto-Replace.

So has there ever been just a simple 'auto-correct' for mis-spelled words only?

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Come to find out I guess mine is messed up too. I had to retype every sentence today in messages. It gives me incorrect spellings as a suggestion when I spell a word right. Or uses all the wrong words that is irrelevant to the topic and sentence. I'm pissed. I can't take it anymore. Is this a android issue or a Samsung issue?

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Come to find out I guess mine is messed up too. I had to retype every sentence today in messages. It gives me incorrect spellings as a suggestion when I spell a word right. Or uses all the wrong words that is irrelevant to the topic and sentence. I'm pissed. I can't take it anymore. Is this a android issue or a Samsung issue?
Just found out someone else i know had the same problem. Hers is a SPRINT GS7.

Captainsweatpant

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I found out how to fix mine I had to go to Language And Input > Virtual Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Predictive Text Turn this on if it’s off and also make sure you have an Auto Replace language selected. Mine was on but there was no language selected. Hope this helps!

Ogmagic

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Okay I figured it out.
Make sure your keyboard language is the same as your predictve text language.
Mine was not working because my keyboard language was English(US) and my predictive text was English(UK)
Make sure they are both the same .
Same thing goes with using Auto check spelling.

Hope I helped you guys fix the issue.