Alternative ways for pulling off data/factory resetting phone

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for some options here and hoping you all might be able to help. My wife was putting her phone on her night stand to charge it and lost grip. In trying to catch it she managed to slam it screen first against the ONLY hard object on her night stand, a ceramic ring holder... Made point contact and obliterated the screen AND the Zagg Glass protector... Does anyone know of a way to either mirror the display on something via cable (as the screen will now not come on) or the button sequence to factory reset the phone? The screen touch sensor does not work but the physical buttons and soft keys (recent apps and back) work. Her photos and contacts should be backed up on her Google drive but I was hoping to get the original, full res photos. If this isn't possible, I at least want to wipe the phone before sending it back after insurance replacement arrives. I just don't want to send a phone back with all of her stuff still on it .I tried using one of those hdmi adapter kits that worked on the S4/Note3 and lower but it's a different usb than what the S5-S7 have so no luck there. ANY help is definitely appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. An OTG cable will allow you to use a USB mouse with the phone. A 2 port OTG cable (they're less than $10) will allow you to use a mouse and keyboard.

2. If there's an HDMI cable available for the phone, that will give you a "screen" (connect the phone to one end of the cable and an HDMI port of the TV to the other end).

3. Always back up (not sync) important files, so you have a digital duplicate of the file. If you need more storage space, MEGA gives you 50GB for free.

To completely wipe the phone (well, maybe not from the NSA), reflash the ROM. (See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - it's really boring.) Reflashing the ROM virtually guarantees that the data that was on the phone can't be recovered.

One caveat - all this will work if ALL she did was break the screen. If the shock broke something on the motherboard, the phone is probably already gone.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
1. An OTG cable will allow you to use a USB mouse with the phone. A 2 port OTG cable (they're less than $10) will allow you to use a mouse and keyboard.

2. If there's an HDMI cable available for the phone, that will give you a "screen" (connect the phone to one end of the cable and an HDMI port of the TV to the other end).

3. Always back up (not sync) important files, so you have a digital duplicate of the file. If you need more storage space, MEGA gives you 50GB for free.

To completely wipe the phone (well, maybe not from the NSA), reflash the ROM. (See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - it's really boring.) Reflashing the ROM virtually guarantees that the data that was on the phone can't be recovered.

One caveat - all this will work if ALL she did was break the screen. If the shock broke something on the motherboard, the phone is probably already gone.
The phone itself still works. Before the screen went completely black for good, I was able to get a mouse plugged in but if I opened an app, like verizon cloud, I guess it was too much for the screen and it would go black. If I hit back then it would go to the home screen. So, I've got item(s) 1 figured out on your list but I'm having difficulty with finding item 2... If I can get that then I'm set. Otherwise I just need to figure out the factory reset sequence so I can do that without needing to see anything on the screen. She doesn't have anything important really, just a bunch of photos and videos. I just don't want someone having complete access to her photos/contacts/emails etc. when the phone arrives at whatever facility the insurance company will send it to. I'll take a look at your link for flashing the stock ROM though.