Can I back up apps and files on my Android S7 to sea gate portable plus potable dr.?

A

AC Question

Can I back up apps and files androids7 to sea gate portable plus potable dr.?

Can this be done without a pc portable drive model #SRDOSO ?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can I back up apps and files androids7 to sea gate portable plus potable dr.?

It should but you would need an external power source for mechanical drives. These drives usually come with 2 usb connectors

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A portable drive is normally externally powered, do plug it into the wall for power and use an OTG cable for the data connection (and use an app like App Backup & Restore to back the apps up as apk files, so you can reinstall them in the future).

Or you could just connect the phone to a computer, connect the external drive to the same computer and drag the backup folders to the external drive.

(It can be done with any drive that can be powered from the wall. A drive that can't will need a 2 [or more] port OTG cable, so you can power it from an external 5 Volt supply. [And it can't be a "bare drive", because they require 3 voltage sources, unless you have a drive power supply ending in a SATA power connector (I doubt anyone is still using IDE drives).)

MisterEd51

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can I back up apps and files androids7 to sea gate portable plus potable dr.?

It should but you would need an external power source for mechanical drives. These drives usually come with 2 usb connectors
That is not necessarily true. I have a Seagate 1TB Expansion+ external drive. Internally it has a mechanical 2.5-in Seagate SATA hard drive. The drive has a single USB 3.0 cable. The only power it gets is through its USB cable.

I hooked it up to to the Galaxy S7 using the OTG USB connector without any problems. I did have to download an app so that it could read/write to it since Android doesn't natively support the NTFS format. For NTFS support I downloaded "Total Commander" plus the "USB plugin for Total Commander".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance