S7 camera issue

Tafflad

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I have found an issue with camera on my S7… maybe its settings, but could be a bug, and the issues may be related.
SM-G930F running 6.0.1

Firstly … if I set it to save as RAW file (my preference) … I can do this OK, via camera>mode/Pro>settings
However, if you exit camera … when you next go into camera it has defaulted to standard mode & jpeg
Can I set it to ‘lock to RAW mode’

Secondly .. in camera>settings I have Storage Location set as SD card.
However any pictures taken in RAW mode are saved in device storage ….. this is a particular issue as RAW files are larger and I need the SD card space for this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

1) Nope. The camera always defaults back to 'Auto' when you exit and come back. Since the RAW mode is only available in 'Pro' Mode, that's why it's not available. But, in theory, if you set it to RAW once, the next time you open 'Pro' Mode it should still be RAW, even if it's compressed in other modes.

2)RAW pictures (I thought it was in the description for some reason, but I can't see it now...maybe I read it elsewhere) are saved to Internal Memory, and I thiiiink maybe Burst Shots as well, but I could be wrong about the latter (I don't trust SD Cards with pictures I haven't backed up, so I use Internal Memory for all camera pictures and then move to SD Card once I'm sure they're backed up in the cloud).

Tafflad

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
On my stills camera for burst mode it saves to device .. but moves to SD card in background.

The fact that in Pro mode under settings it shows storage location as DS card yet store on device seems a bug ...
RAW files are so much larger they really do need to go to SD card.
Hope they fix this is in a s/w update.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah burst and RAW photos save onto device. It's probably done for the speed as people are likely to use all types of SD cards with varying speed and quality.

Tafflad

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
No problem with it doing that .. but as it shows saved file location as SDcard .. then as a background task it should move them to SD card
Clearly showing they will be stored in 1 location and actually put in another is wrong.

Tafflad

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
When you are in Pro-mode and go to settings you can set (if you haven't) the storage to be SDcard.
It does not store RAW files in SD card - so it's a bug ......... you can resolve the functionality or just change what is displayed.

I have raised an official support tkt with Samsung - 'maybe' we can get it resolved in a s/w release.
Suggest anyone else who wants to use raw direct to SD card does the same

Tafflad

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
When you are in Pro-mode and go to settings you can set (if you haven't) the storage to be SDcard.
It does not store RAW files in SD card - so it's a bug ......... you can resolve the functionality or just change what is displayed.

I have raised an official support tkt with Samsung - 'maybe' we can get it resolved in a s/w release.
Suggest anyone else who wants to use raw direct to SD card does the same

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It should have a notification message that bursts would be saved to internal memory

I could have sworn I saw it before! I'm sure I read that RAW and Burst Shots were not saved to SD card, but I can't remember if that's something I read in a review or if it was on the phone itself. Maybe it's there the first time you switch to SD Card?

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I could have sworn I saw it before! I'm sure I read that RAW and Burst Shots were not saved to SD card, but I can't remember if that's something I read in a review or if it was on the phone itself. Maybe it's there the first time you switch to SD Card?
I'm thought I saw it when I first selected the modes,

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I know I saw it somewhere! Hehe Maybe it's one of those 'don't show again' windows (and nope, not going to format my phone just to find out hehe)
If I select pro mode with raw selected, the pop up comes up saying both will be store to internal memory before you take the photos, for burst mode it tells you just after you have taken burst shots.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Umm... is there a 'don't show again' check mark in those? I don't see either message on mine anymore (even going to Pro with RAW selected). T-Mobile S7 Edge.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No not on mine. I can't remember if this was the same before the latest software update tho. I'm using an unlocked S7 edge on EE.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I tried get a screenshot of the burst mode as well but it waits after the screen capture to pop up the message

Attachments

• 1461090168759.jpg
    1461090168759.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1