How do i turn off sound notifications for apps?

mz7590

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got the new S7. i love it. but i am finding that i am getting sound notifications for everything. On my old S5 i got a popup notification for an instagram like but no sound. Now on the S7 it seems that i get a sound notification as well.

I want to know if there is a way to turn off sound notifications for certain apps, but keep their popup notification. I tried Settings > Notifications...but does that turn off all notifications for the app (ie pop up) or just the sound?

I want my S7 to make pop up notifications without sound. How can i do that?

Nicopatch

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Go into the notification settings for each individual app.

Posted via the Android Central App using my badass Galaxy S7

Hey, I have the same problem, but no, this doesn't work at all. In the notifications list for individual apps, you can only turn the notification on or off entirely, you can't choose "no sound but pop up yes"

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I have the same problem, but no, this doesn't work at all. In the notifications list for individual apps, you can only turn the notification on or off entirely, you can't choose "no sound but pop up yes"
To get to the app notification settings, you open the app, then go to the settings of the app itself. The app's own settings are not in the settings menu of the phone. On the Twitter app for example, you open the app, tap on your profile pic on the upper left, then you will see an option for settings. You can then go to the mobile notifications option and set your ringtone for Twitter. The popup can be controlled by the phone. It won't matter if the app has a notification tone or not.

ejmeier

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
I know this is an old post. But this might help someone else. I was having the same problem. Recently, I did a factory reset of my phone and notification sounds stated popping up when I listened to music apps. I had changed this before and forgot how this was changed. And many other sites didn't really tell how to stop the notification sounds. What worked for me was to go to: settings>accessibility>notification reminder> then from there, you can pick which apps you want the the notification sounds for and which apps you don't want sound for. And you can change how often you want the reminder interval (1 min., 3 min., 5 min., 10 min, or 15 min.).

mckillio

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old post. But this might help someone else. I was having the same problem. Recently, I did a factory reset of my phone and notification sounds stated popping up when I listened to music apps. I had changed this before and forgot how this was changed. And many other sites didn't really tell how to stop the notification sounds. What worked for me was to go to: settings>accessibility>notification reminder> then from there, you can pick which apps you want the the notification sounds for and which apps you don't want sound for. And you can change how often you want the reminder interval (1 min., 3 min., 5 min., 10 min, or 15 min.).

Has this functionality been removed from Android P? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to silence individual app notifications while still receiving notifications.

scrpphant

Jan 19, 2019
Visit site
Has this functionality been removed from Android P? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to silence individual app notifications while still receiving notifications.

Actually, it is quite simple if you know where to look.

Settings>Notifications>ADVANCE (top right)>Click specific App>Turn on "Show silently"

yvOnne1118

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site

o. m. g. - - this was it, exactly! i never turned ON reminders in accessibility, but it was definitely on. i had previously just turned the sound totally off, it was so annoying! i was miserable with my new phone, had checked every app, was keeping a record of beep times for hours, trying to figure it out! this was difficult & puzzling, since no new visual notifications were happening concurrently. thank you SO MUCH for the information & solution.