Always on display risk of burn in?

xgibxrecon

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello, names Spencer I am new to this forum. I just picked up a galaxy s7 I like the idea of the always on screen. But I'm worried there may be burn in on the amoled screen. I know Samsung would release this software if it ran that risk. I have left it on for about 20 to 30 minutes to see if the clock moves which I read it is supposed to, to prevent burn in but it doesn't seem to be moving. Does it only do it after a set period of time?

I mainly want to use it by my bed as a clock but I don't want to damage the screen. Thank you for any input

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the image should move after every few minutes or so. Are you sure it didn't move? Sometimes it moves ever so slightly. Get something to make the top or bottom of the image and check back on it in 3-4 minutes.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've just checked on mine and it's not moving. No idea when this behaviour started because I know it used to move.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
With power saving mode, only have AOD when charging. I didn't notice yesterday but will watch today. Even if it doesn't move, I would think that it would have to be on more than overnight possibly days. I can't remember the last time that I went that long without using my phone. Is this behavior on all carriers?

Posted via the Android Central App

jackrock

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I had not realized that the always on display stopped moving but you're right, it no longer moves. It is in a different spot every time it comes on but it doesn't move around while on like it did originally. Wonder why they changed that.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There was a recent update for AOD in galaxy apps where they made it dimmer and move a few pixels a minute or something so it's not jumping around the screen so much

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
There was a recent update for AOD in galaxy apps where they made it dimmer and move a few pixels a minute or something so it's not jumping around the screen so much

I just applied the Samsung update as well.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

You'r correct the new update moves it one pixel per minute in a random direction and the it jumps once per hour hour randomly. I actually turned AOD off on my phone thinking it wasn't moving.

xgibxrecon

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that's what it seems like, less constant moving for very slight movement with a large jump every hour. I guess it makes more sense this way

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ive not turned mine back on yet, I think I would prefer to see it move a bit faster than 1px per min.

I can see why they did it, it used to draw my eye to my phone every time it jumped.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My brother have one, and it doesn't move as well. I'm worried now :)

The new update means it only moves 1 pixel per minute. But then it jumps to a random position after an hour. In theory even the slow moment would be enough to prevent burn in.

Gin Tonic

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
The new update means it only moves 1 pixel per minute. But then it jumps to a random position after an hour. In theory even the slow moment would be enough to prevent burn in.

Thanks Alanhd, next time im gonna be focused watching that pixel move :D. Are you sure that just with one pixel move its enough?. Theorycally its true but only of all pixels on the screen change i suppose.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't burn-in.

Like users have stated, since the recent update, the AOD moves by a single pixel every minute to reduce the likelihood of burn-in.

It should move to a random position after 60 minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay