06-02-2017 03:17 AM
29 12
tools
    Hello, names Spencer I am new to this forum. I just picked up a galaxy s7 I like the idea of the always on screen. But I'm worried there may be burn in on the amoled screen. I know Samsung would release this software if it ran that risk. I have left it on for about 20 to 30 minutes to see if the clock moves which I read it is supposed to, to prevent burn in but it doesn't seem to be moving. Does it only do it after a set period of time?

I mainly want to use it by my bed as a clock but I don't want to damage the screen. Thank you for any input
    04-25-2016 08:25 PM
    Yes, the image should move after every few minutes or so. Are you sure it didn't move? Sometimes it moves ever so slightly. Get something to make the top or bottom of the image and check back on it in 3-4 minutes.
    04-25-2016 09:22 PM
    I got a notification tonight that the Always On Display updated. Now the clock doesn't move.
    04-25-2016 10:07 PM
    Since the April update, mine hasn't moved (or appeared to, at least) after it activates.
    04-26-2016 03:46 AM
    I noticed it moved at first but after my first update it stopped moving until I unlocked my phone.

Is there any way to verify this?
    04-26-2016 05:19 AM
    I've just checked on mine and it's not moving. No idea when this behaviour started because I know it used to move.
    04-26-2016 05:55 AM
    With power saving mode, only have AOD when charging. I didn't notice yesterday but will watch today. Even if it doesn't move, I would think that it would have to be on more than overnight possibly days. I can't remember the last time that I went that long without using my phone. Is this behavior on all carriers?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-26-2016 06:05 AM
    Does anyone know how long it should be between each move. Sat here like an ***** watching my phone.
    04-26-2016 06:23 AM
    I had not realized that the always on display stopped moving but you're right, it no longer moves. It is in a different spot every time it comes on but it doesn't move around while on like it did originally. Wonder why they changed that.
    04-26-2016 06:45 AM
    There was a recent update for AOD in galaxy apps where they made it dimmer and move a few pixels a minute or something so it's not jumping around the screen so much

Colchicine likes this.
    04-26-2016 07:47 AM
    There was a recent update for AOD in galaxy apps where they made it dimmer and move a few pixels a minute or something so it's not jumping around the screen so much

I just applied the Samsung update as well.

04-26-2016 08:12 AM

You'r correct the new update moves it one pixel per minute in a random direction and the it jumps once per hour hour randomly. I actually turned AOD off on my phone thinking it wasn't moving.
    04-26-2016 11:23 AM
    Yeah that's what it seems like, less constant moving for very slight movement with a large jump every hour. I guess it makes more sense this way
    04-26-2016 12:02 PM
    Are you guys still using this feature? What do you think about it?
    04-26-2016 12:21 PM
    Ive not turned mine back on yet, I think I would prefer to see it move a bit faster than 1px per min.

I can see why they did it, it used to draw my eye to my phone every time it jumped.
    04-26-2016 12:25 PM
    My brother have one, and it doesn't move as well. I'm worried now :-)
    04-27-2016 05:45 AM
    My brother have one, and it doesn't move as well. I'm worried now :-)
    The new update means it only moves 1 pixel per minute. But then it jumps to a random position after an hour. In theory even the slow moment would be enough to prevent burn in.
    04-27-2016 05:53 AM
    The new update means it only moves 1 pixel per minute. But then it jumps to a random position after an hour. In theory even the slow moment would be enough to prevent burn in.
    Thanks Alanhd, next time im gonna be focused watching that pixel move . Are you sure that just with one pixel move its enough?. Theorycally its true but only of all pixels on the screen change i suppose.
    04-27-2016 06:05 AM
    It shouldn't burn-in.

Like users have stated, since the recent update, the AOD moves by a single pixel every minute to reduce the likelihood of burn-in.

It should move to a random position after 60 minutes.
    04-27-2016 09:22 AM
    How did you guys get the update for the AOD?
    04-27-2016 02:58 PM
    Nevermind, I had Galaxy Apps or whatever it's called disabled
    04-27-2016 03:07 PM
    it doesnt move at all. I put a small piece of paper just underneath the clock and let it sit there for a long time. but after coming back the clock was still on the exact same pixels. Only moment it does change is when it gets reactivated after you used the Phone.

On the short run i dont expect much problems. But even with the clock moving up and down in a few years you would be able to see a darker trail in the middle of the screen. In wich the pixels are more wearoff there because they have been on much longer then the rest. Amoled pixels will burn less bright over a span of time when used. So its not really burn in but degration of the quality.

You can say that an amoled screen will burn less bright over time the more you use the screen.
    10-19-2016 07:18 AM
    AOD does not move. The only way I can get the AOD to move is to hit the power button wait a moment hit the power button again and the AOD will have moved on the screen. Someone needs to merge Screensaver and AOD. Screensaver moves but only works during dock/charging or both, funny thing when in screensaver and charging the dispaly does not show the battery status.
    10-19-2016 09:16 AM
    AOD does not move. The only way I can get the AOD to move is to hit the power button wait a moment hit the power button again and the AOD will have moved on the screen. Someone needs to merge Screensaver and AOD. Screensaver moves but only works during dock/charging or both, funny thing when in screensaver and charging the dispaly does not show the battery status.
    It does move. It may only move a few pixels so you might not notice.
    10-19-2016 02:53 PM
    it doesnt move at all. I put a small piece of paper just underneath the clock and let it sit there for a long time.
    How long exactly was "a long time"? Because it should move visibly every 60 minutes or so. And as the above poster noted, it does supposedly move every minute by a very small distance - probably not detectable with the naked eye.

But to be fair, I haven't tested the 60 minutes duration since the latest update, so I'll post back once I verify it again.
    10-19-2016 03:06 PM
29 12