Questions regarding factory unlock

gps360

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just joined here and I got my S7 last week. I used to be an apple user. The android is totally new to me.

I have some questions regarding the unlock. I got the unlock code from Samsung.

My existing SIM card is Rogers. When I followed the instructions from Samsung, I have to put another mobile carrier SIM card in order to to the unlock. Yesterday, I borrowed my co-worker Fido SIM card and try to unlock and I got no message on the phone indicating to input the unlock code. I tried so many time and nothing happened. When the Fido SIM card was inserted, surprising, I could make call from his SIM card.

Does it mean my phone has already unlocked?

Please advise, thanks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, it could very well be that Rogers didn't request that Samsung SIM lock their batch of phones. The SIM/carrier lock is an optional choice for carriers to pick... much like some used to request bootloader locks/unlocks... Granted, when Samsung built the Snapdragon S7's, they wholesale locked the bootloaders, taking the choice out of the carrier's hands (grrrrr).

But if the SIM works, you're good.

gps360

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Is there anyway to unlock the phone without other mobile carrier sim card? I just talked to one of my co-worker and he told me that Fido belonged to Rogers. And this maybe the reason that I can use the Fido card to make the phone call from his card and also not seeing the unlock code request.

I cannot find anyone around me using Bell or Telus sim cards because most of the people around me are either using Rogers or Fido.

How could I check the phone is guarantee unlock? I need to bring the phone overseas to use with a different sim card.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, do you have those burner, prepaid SIMs in convenience stores up there? It might cost $10 or $20 to get a cheapo card that isn't a Rogers MVNO, but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine straight from Samsung and they provide the unlocking codes for you, just for that reason. I'm on telus and it does work. If I take out the sim and put in let's say bell, Rogers etc...I have to then use the unlock codes. Not sure if you buy it straight from Rogers. If you are provided the codes on The box then they don't have to unlock it

Posted via the Android Central App with My GS7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to unlock the phone without other mobile carrier sim card? I just talked to one of my co-worker and he told me that Fido belonged to Rogers. And this maybe the reason that I can use the Fido card to make the phone call from his card and also not seeing the unlock code request.

I cannot find anyone around me using Bell or Telus sim cards because most of the people around me are either using Rogers or Fido.

How could I check the phone is guarantee unlock? I need to bring the phone overseas to use with a different sim card.
Fido is owned by Rogers, and uses the same network so no need to unlock if you want to use on fido. You would need a sim from a physically different network.