As soon as I picked up my Galaxy S7 I purchased an OtterBox Defender case and a fast wireless charger from Samsung. Some nights I wake up around 3 o'clock or so and reach over to check the phone and it is beyond scorching hot. I mean hot enough that you would think the glass panels would just fall off from the glue releasing under such heat.

Anyone else experiences this situation with the combination of OtterBox Defender and fast wireless charger? I suppose the defender case just doesn't shed heat that well.... But....

I had thought the phone would stop charging once it hit 100% And then slowly trickle charge for the rest of the time but mine just seems to build up more and more heat (kinda like a snowball effect).

Maybe it's possible my wireless charger is defective.
    04-28-2016 04:37 PM
    Have you tried to charge the phone without the case?
    04-28-2016 06:13 PM
    I just gave it a shot an hour ago, from 80% to 100 with minimal heat of fast charge.
    Guess the defender case just holds too much heat. Still don't know why it runs away though & builds up so much heat...
    Maybe it's due to the distance the OtterBox case holds the actual phone away from the fast wireless charger.
    04-28-2016 06:20 PM
    Did you have an app pulling down data causing the heat? Possibly leaving YouTube or other streaming apps?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-28-2016 09:54 PM
    I have the Defender and sometimes fall asleep watching a purchased movie on YouTube. Mine sometimes gets slightly warm after a couple of hours but never hot.

04-28-2016 09:56 PM
    Did you have an app pulling down data causing the heat? Possibly leaving YouTube or other streaming apps?

Nope, it's not an app updating or any type of backup as far as I can tell.
    I keep my phone pretty clean app wise and never stream anything really.
    04-29-2016 07:17 AM
    The case is silicone rubber - a pretty good heat holder. The receiver is getting hot and has no way to get rid of the heat. (Yes, it's a pain to take the pohone out of the case to charge it every day. Normal, as opposed to fast, charging might be a better idea. [I've been charging my Note 3 wirelessly, in a Defender, for a couple of years with no excessive heat build-up.])

"Maybe it's due to the distance the OtterBox case holds the actual phone away from the fast wireless charger." Nope. That would, if anything, lessen the charge AND the temperature. It's the material of the case that's holding the heat in.

BTW, charger or not, it's the charging circuit in the phone (after the charging port or the wireless receiver) that cuts off the charge once the battery is charged. But the charging receiver still generates a lot more heat than the battery does just receiving charging voltage, even if the phone isn't using it to charge the battery.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    04-29-2016 06:34 PM
    It happens on normal slow wireless charging also. That's what makes me wonder what's going on.
    I just wake up early now & place the phone on the charger before work - no more overnight melting until I figure out what's going on
    I ordered one of the clear ultra thin TPU cases - I'll see if it happens with a much thinner case as soon as it comes in.
    04-29-2016 06:50 PM