Ok Google not coming through car bluetooth

Kevin Burk1

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
I am in the same boat with my S5 and 2015 Honda Odyssey. Cortana on my old WP 830 worked about as well as I could have expected. BT via Android has been a disapointment. I swapped for the apps and video options that were lacking from WP. I had hoped the WP10 release would have addressed those. It didn't. But I do miss the elegant and sophisticated OS of WP. I've only had this phone a few months. So many complaints. Too little time. I will most likely switch back after a couple of years. Maybe by then WP will have caught up with app options.

puppydg68

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
I have an S7 and a 2007 Nissan Altima.

On my old Windows Phone, when I activate Cortana, her voice would just come over the speaker in my car and I can talk through the card mic. When I activate Ok Google, that does not happen.

I made sure in the Google "Voice" settings menu, "Bluetooth headset" is enabled.

Chad

I just wanted to add, Blackberry also did this, faked a phonecall to voice command your phone. How do we formally put this request into Google Now? Its a safety feature i would use all the time and have missed it since i upgraded from blackberry to Samsung S7.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi All! Will be moving from WM to an S8. Can anyone please describe what Cortana can currently do in Android? Maybe might be easier what Cortana can do in WM that is not possible in Android? The hands free car functions I use everyday, from Hey Cortana to initiate calls etc, to send/read/reply to texts. The description for Cortana in Google Play does not say much of features and all reviews I find are several years old. Thanks for your help!

jburton823

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I have a Moto X Pure connected to a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X695 that supports Bluetooth Phone Audio but not Media Audio.

Motorola's Moto Voice works just fine, but Google Assistant does not. The problem is that Google chose not to support Bluetooth Phone Audio in Google Assistant, but there is nothing to indicate that this isn't supported. If you turn on the Bluetooth headset setting in the Google Assistant settings, it will not play or receive audio on either the car speakers or the phone.

The workaround (for me) is to use Moto Voice to launch Google Assistant. Your manufacturer may have something similar, if you don't have a Moto. Disable Bluetooth headset in Google Assistant because it doesn't work.

logicisme

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Speech output is enabled for Google now but I don't have that BT option. My car only supports phone calls, not media (like playing music through BT).

To fix the broken setting that causes Google search / voice to text apps to not work with Bluetooth Microphones, do the following:

Note: This will erase your google data on the phone maybe including your linked credit card authorization from your bank in android pay (tap payment only, not Wallet.) which I seem to recall having to re-set it up with my bank since they are very secure with that, so make sure you are prepared for that possiblity. It won't delete your linked accounts or authenticator two factor auth. Just the core googly stuff and settings related to the local settings on the phone.

Go into settings > apps > Google. Disable it to reset it back to the original version, then enable it again. Still in the Google app, click on storage, then manage space > clear all data.

Go back to settings > apps > show system apps. Find Google Services Framework. Click storage, click clear data.

Your Bluetooth microphone should now start working again. I have had to do this on two phones so far. You may just get away with deleting the data on the framework app, I usually do both since I don't want to mess around any longer than I have to.

GoogledGirl

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
To fix the broken setting that causes Google search / voice to text apps to not work with Bluetooth Microphones, do the following:

Note: This will erase your google data on the phone maybe including your linked credit card authorization from your bank in android pay (tap payment only, not Wallet.) which I seem to recall having to re-set it up with my bank since they are very secure with that, so make sure you are prepared for that possiblity. It won't delete your linked accounts or authenticator two factor auth. Just the core googly stuff and settings related to the local settings on the phone.

Go into settings > apps > Google. Disable it to reset it back to the original version, then enable it again. Still in the Google app, click on storage, then manage space > clear all data.

Go back to settings > apps > show system apps. Find Google Services Framework. Click storage, click clear data.

Your Bluetooth microphone should now start working again. I have had to do this on two phones so far. You may just get away with deleting the data on the framework app, I usually do both since I don't want to mess around any longer than I have to.

GoogledGirl

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S8 Plus. I want to try to make the Okay Google Assistant work through the Bluetooth in my 2012 Jeep Liberty. The stereo has it's own interface where I can answer and make calls, and listen to texts, but to reply I only have a list to choose from on the Jeep interface. I can listen to my audio and here notifications through the car stereo Bluetooth, when it is in in the Bluetooth mode, but for some reason the Okay Google Assistant doesn't go through the Bluetooth, just the phone speakers and I can only use the phone mic. I would love for it come through the stereo and use the car Mic so I can actually dictate messages.

Lannie Schafroth

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S8 Plus. I want to try to make the Okay Google Assistant work through the Bluetooth in my 2012 Jeep Liberty. The stereo has it's own interface where I can answer and make calls, and listen to texts, but to reply I only have a list to choose from on the Jeep interface. I can listen to my audio and here notifications through the car stereo Bluetooth, when it is in in the Bluetooth mode, but for some reason the Okay Google Assistant doesn't go through the Bluetooth, just the phone speakers and I can only use the phone mic. I would love for it come through the stereo and use the car Mic so I can actually dictate messages.

I came from Windows 10 Mobile as well and Android is quite useless for hands free. I tried many apps and they all fail at some point. I found Enhanced SMS and Caller ID. IT uses the Call Stream trick over bluetooth. You can specify what BT profile to use so it only turns on as needed. It allows other app notifications to play as well. OK Google does not play through the call stream making it useless in the car unless I'm actually on the Media stream on the radio, which is almost never. I did just enable google text to speach via this app and will see if it works. It's the best hands free app on Android that lets you select the BT profile and full reading and response to texts hands free.

Lannie

alanosman

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site
I just decided to make the switch from a Lumia 950 to Android. I had first purchased a Pixel 2 which I thought had a hardware issue. It was loosing connectivity to my car Bluetooth and the assistant would not work through the speaker system like Cortana did. I just returned it and got a Samsung S9, which while the UI is a bit simpler, still has the same assistant over bluetooth issue. Aside from the phone being a lot faster than my Lumia, which I would expect after 2 years, the UI and bluetooth hardware seems to lack from what I can tell. All I really want to do is dictate text messages without having to hold up my phone. I am still reeling from Microsoft's terrible decision to back out of mobile.

My question to everyone here: Is there a workaround?

pangadaywalker

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I just decided to make the switch from a Lumia 950 to Android. I had first purchased a Pixel 2 which I thought had a hardware issue. It was loosing connectivity to my car Bluetooth and the assistant would not work through the speaker system like Cortana did. I just returned it and got a Samsung S9, which while the UI is a bit simpler, still has the same assistant over bluetooth issue. Aside from the phone being a lot faster than my Lumia, which I would expect after 2 years, the UI and bluetooth hardware seems to lack from what I can tell. All I really want to do is dictate text messages without having to hold up my phone. I am still reeling from Microsoft's terrible decision to back out of mobile.

My question to everyone here: Is there a workaround?

That is exactly what I am going thru but with a different path.

I can connect my phone to my HU thru Mirror Link. I then use LG Mirror Drive to trick the HU and pair my phone thru USB cable just fine. This is a new unit (2017) and I can stream music and make phone calls fine.

I can get Google Maps, Spotify, etc you name it to work on the HU and make phone calls from Whatzap, Phone itself or Android Auto App, but if I try to use the microphone for any other app it won't work.

It seems the car's microphone will only activate when a phone call is detected or phone app is used. That is really odd....

Has anyone got a workaround for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles