Hey everyone,

I've had my S7 for a couple of weeks now and the battery life seems to be poor compared to my old phone (Sony Xperia Z1). I have Bluetooth and NFC off and app battery saving mode on (the one that turns off background usage on apps you've not used in 3 days). I always have the brightness at almost the lowest level possible, and manually switch the screen off as soon as I stop using it. I never ever leave it on to turn itself off.

I use my phone and average amount I think. At work I use WhatsApp Web so I don't have to use the phone directly. I've been doing this for over a year on my old phone and it barely used any battery, so I don't think it's that. But by 4pm my battery is dead. A couple of days ago, it was at about 11% and then it suddenly died when I wasn't even using it!

According to my battery usage, Facebook is using 50% of my battery. This seems really high. I'm not on it THAT much! I don't want to uninstall the app because I used to use it a lot on my old phone and it doesn't seem right that I should have to cut down and go without things, when this phone was meant to be an improvement!

I'm just surprised because I was expecting a big improvement in battery life, but I'm actually using this phone less than my old one and it's not even managing a whole day. Is it faulty?

Thanks!
    Lindsay
    05-11-2016 01:38 PM
    Facebook is using 50%!? I don't use FB that much either, my battery drain is VERY low by comparison, +-2%. You must have either a bad install or you're on it more than you think. The FB issue aside, I'm not that impressed with the battery life either. My other device is a 6s+, it will last forever if untouched, the S7 will last for 1.5 days max untouched.
    05-11-2016 02:18 PM
    Facebook is always a crap app for your battery haha! It always keep loading om background.
    05-11-2016 04:10 PM
    You can change Facebook settings to prevent it from hogging so much battery. I have it open all the time and haven't seen it reported higher than 1.6 percent by Gsam battery monitor.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-11-2016 04:18 PM
    Keep in mind thats 50% usage of the amount of battery used. So if you used half your battery, and FB is using half that then total battery consumption is actually 25% by the app.
    But either way you can test this by not using the app for the day and seeing if you have bad battery life as well.
    05-11-2016 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies! The 50% came from when I'd looked at the battery usage when my battery was nearly dead. I did this on two days and it was the same each time, +/- 5%. How do you stop Facebook from running in the background? This was my first thought when I noticed how much battery it was using, but I couldn't find where to change that setting.
    05-12-2016 08:42 AM
    Uninstall Facebook and use the web app. Total battery saver.

dadathepanda likes this.
    05-12-2016 09:11 AM
    The thing with iPhones lasting almost as long as dumbphones on standby is that it really doesn't allow true background processes/multitasking to run. Android runs closer to a full computer where nearly everything you left running might actually have been left running, unless the phone was optimized to close that after some time.
    05-12-2016 09:38 AM
    Cool, well I've been trying to use Facebook less yesterday to see if that made a difference and it really did. I only went on it in the morning for 10-15 mins and by about 2pm it had used 12%, (of about 20% total battery usage) which seemed more fair. I just resent having to try and avoid it when I could be on it constantly on my old phone.

Is there a way of turning off Facebook from running in the background?
    05-13-2016 02:48 AM
    Uninstall the Facebook app, then install Tinfoil for Facebook. It is a wrapper for the web-app, and is far less of a memory hog than the official FB app. It does not push notifications, but those were always more trouble than they were worth anyway.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    05-13-2016 08:32 AM
    I've been using Swipe (another FB wrapper) they really do make a difference in battery life...
    05-13-2016 09:01 AM
    Cool, well I've been trying to use Facebook less yesterday to see if that made a difference and it really did. I only went on it in the morning for 10-15 mins and by about 2pm it had used 12%, (of about 20% total battery usage) which seemed more fair. I just resent having to try and avoid it when I could be on it constantly on my old phone.

Is there a way of turning off Facebook from running in the background?
    Just stop using the app and use it on the Web.

05-13-2016 09:05 AM
    Uninstall the Facebook app, then install Tinfoil for Facebook. It is a wrapper for the web-app, and is far less of a memory hog than the official FB app. It does not push notifications, but those were always more trouble than they were worth anyway.
    If it doesn't do push notifications then you're better off with Chrome. Using Facebook on Chrome and saving your credentials on it gives Facebook notifications.
    05-13-2016 09:20 AM
    You can change Facebook settings to prevent it from hogging so much battery. I have it open all the time and haven't seen it reported higher than 1.6 percent by Gsam battery monitor.

What settings do you change?
    05-13-2016 03:28 PM
    What settings do you change?
    I turn off Notifications, Sounds, Background Refresh (or whatever it's called) and whatever else is available to turn off. And I make sure to close it out completely when I'm done.

05-13-2016 03:37 PM
    has this been the case the entire time you've had the phone?
    it could also be a faulty battery. I was losing 10% of my battery in half an hour without using it originally, got a replacement phone and it's been awesome, even with facebook.
    05-13-2016 03:59 PM
    I leave literally everything you can have on turned on....NFC, wifi, Bluetooth..everything AND have the Facebook app running and don't have these battery issues. I do however have Facebook's notifications turned off.
    05-14-2016 02:52 AM