s7 durability

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
How durable are these phones? I know the glass is supposedly damage resistant and it has a metal chassis. I have a hard plastic case on as well but that won't help much with impact. I have had a few bumps as I have a 15mo old. Wondering how this will likely hold up

Posted via the Android Central App

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Where did you hear that the glass is damage resistant? I know for a fact Samsung doesn't market that as an advantage. As with any phone, as long as you take care of it, it won't break.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
"The sick feeling of dropping a phone and breaking the screen is all too common. Which is why Corning's top scientists performed thousands of hours of tests to understand how and why glass breaks when dropped. Then we developed a way to deliver dramatically improved performance against drops on rough surfaces. How dramatic? In lab tests, Gorilla Glass 4 withstood such drops up to 2X better than competitive glass designs. And our drop tests are the toughest in the industry, conducted on rough surfaces that best approximate the real world of jagged streets, sidewalks and parking lots. So when your whole life is on your device, help protect it with our toughest cover glass yet."

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine took one hech of a drop this morning, I was sure it would at the least have a hairline crack but nope, still fully intact & functional :)
It also got a hot coffee bath at the same time...
I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least :). YMMV & I did have an Ultra slim (almost nothing there) clear case & cheap glass screen protector..

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the phone because I wanted the water resistance. And front what I'm reading it does handle bumps and bruises fairly well.

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
It's still glass, meaning that any form of stress or drops can cause damage. The phone isn't damage resistant – it is just marketed as being less susceptible to damage. You will still receive cracks or other forms of damage if not properly cared for. There are many forums attesting to the durability/fragility of this device, which you can peruse at your leisure.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying it's a Droid turbo 2 with a shatterproof screen. Gorilla glass 4 is marketed as resisting drop damage. Obviously it's still glass and can Crack.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Basically I was sitting in my car with my 15mo on my lap. My wife let's my daughter play with her phone so of course she wants mine. I put on Netflix to entertain her and she starts banging it on the steering wheel. She's 15mo so she isn't hitting it THAT hard but still. Brand new phone and I suddenly am obsessing over damage. The exterior looks fine but I was all concerned about the internals.

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Sorry if I was coming off as a bit harsh, it's just that resistant usually means it's impervious to all damage, but they probably have said that with all versions of Gorilla Glass. As long as you don't run it over, shoot it, or drop it from 1,000 feet, it shouldn't break unless your kid is some hulk baby.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Haha sometimes she seems like a hulk. All bets are off when she gets angry.

When I hear "resistant" I take it as just that. I understand some people think it to be indestructible. But the phone is water "resistant". I'm not going to let it sit in a tub of water overnight.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL i would be worried to if a $700 device was in a 15 month olds hands.
I dont have kids, but i am one of those people who always recomend to people with kids to buy a cheaper phone for their kids so it can be used and broken.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 5 and doesn't care about it which is fine. But she set the precedence lol. I took it away pretty quickly but she got a few whacks against the steering wheel before I could. I mean the steering wheel isn't concrete but it's hard enough. Should be fine thought...right

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I may be a typical male, but Ill risk it.
Ive been around friends kids who wanted my phone - I'd let them have my car keys first :)
It's just a fact of life it seems
Kids want to play with expensive devices (while you cringe in horror) :(

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere that the drop tests done were on a two layer plywood surface over a concrete base. That's the most usual floor people will be on (home). However, drop it on an angular surface hitting the glass directly, it's going to break.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are worried get something like an otterbox defender or life proof or ballistic case. These would provide decent protection.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Apparently there's some metal bracket that holds all the components in place. Supposed to protect the components from shocks and other impacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781