Closing recent apps - yea or nay (or eh...)?

SpaceyO

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
So I've had my S7 for almost 2 months now, and still don't miss Windows Mobile much at all...but apparently my muscle memory does. I'm still finding myself hitting the recent apps button and closing all each time I'm through with an app.

I've read that Androids tend to run better with apps open and using RAM, but am I really missing a big performance boost? Am I truly saving battery power by not having anything running? Or does it really matter at all and I've just been reading more power-users' opinions than regular folk?

TIA...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As a general rule I don't remove anything from the recent apps unless a particular app is having a problem or stuck running in the background. Removing apps from there, as a routine, will spend more resources than leaving them alone, specially with your most used apps. The recent apps will remember the point where you left the app, so you don't need to start from scratch next time you use it.

Android is quite good managing the memory and background processes, so you don't need to worry.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I swipe away the apps I don't use constantly. The ones I do use (Textra, Hangouts ,ETC.) I keep in the recent apps.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Close them out all the time. Especially the resource hogs like Facebook. Do it with my iPhone as well.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I do close recent apps ,that I don't use often.
The apps I use though out the day,I usually leave open

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I always wondered this, so I spent a week doing both, and the only difference I found was that I maybe had a few % more battery at the end of the day if I closed everything after using it. However, it wasn't exactly scientific, so I concluded it makes very little difference.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If you close an app through the back button instead of the home button, the app will shut down itself. The only time I use the close recent apps button is when an app doesn't use the proper Android procedure and doesn't close with the back button.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I almost always close apps when I am done. When I leave them open, I really haven't noticed any adverse-effects. Its more a preference for not having a pile of stuff behind what I am actively doing.

I don't force stop app background activity however. I let Android manage background sub-routines. Unless its depleting my battery or system resources excessively which happens once in a long while.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
I've read that Androids tend to run better with apps open and using RAM
Apple recommends the same thing. I was once told at the Genius Bar that constant closing of apps confuses the OS into thinking theres an issue with said apps, and will cause a delay in reopening of them due to the OS running a self check on the app, then reloading it into memory. This in turn gives the user the perception of lag, and various other unnecessary issues.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is no value in closing apps. Period.

"But, they are using memory!"

So? The stuff in your attic is consuming space as well. In the event that you run out of space for new stuff you want to add to the attic, you get rid of some of the old. On the other hand, you don't toss out the soup bowls from your kitchen cabinet just because you don't plan to have soup in the next few days.

That's how the Android OS manages memory: keeping things hanging around in memory is harmless and consumes neither power nor CPU cycles. If room is needed for some new app you want to invoke, one or more of the least used apps in memory are tossed out to make space. On the other hand, if you want to invoke the app you were just running an hour ago, well, rather than going out and purchasing a new set of soup bowls to replace the ones you tossed, you just go to the cabinet where the bowls have been hanging out waiting for just such a moment.

Seriously. Unless you have an OCD, there is no value in closing apps.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
There is no value in closing apps. Period.

"But, they are using memory!"

So? The stuff in your attic is consuming space as well. In the event that you run out of space for new stuff you want to add to the attic, you get rid of some of the old. On the other hand, you don't toss out the soup bowls from your kitchen cabinet just because you don't plan to have soup in the next few days.

That's how the Android OS manages memory: keeping things hanging around in memory is harmless and consumes neither power nor CPU cycles. If room is needed for some new app you want to invoke, one or more of the least used apps in memory are tossed out to make space. On the other hand, if you want to invoke the app you were just running an hour ago, well, rather than going out and purchasing a new set of soup bowls to replace the ones you tossed, you just go to the cabinet where the bowls have been hanging out waiting for just such a moment.

Seriously. Unless you have an OCD, there is no value in closing apps.

Is it really that black and white? I ask because the Amazon Prime (app family), iHeart radio, and Facebook apps were constantly using ~15% of my battery. Typical usage numbers would be Phone idle = 35%, Amazon apps 15%, iHeart radio 7%, facebook 10%... constantly at random. I eventually just deleted them outright. Collectively they were using as much battery power as my phone idle processes, sometimes more. This is on an LGV10 by the way... FWIW.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Facebook is a dog, mostly because it is constantly "checking in" - Mark Zuckerburg seems to think that you should never, ever, be off the grid - hence he makes it difficult to even find the log out link on Facebook's web page when viewing on a PC. So, this is not really a question of closing apps, but of configuring Facebook correctly and/or (actually, preferably) not using their crappy app at all.

It turns out uninstalling Facebook for Android is pretty great | Android Central

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes have a problem where an app will drain my battery insanely fast. Sometimes it happens after unplugging the phone from the charger. I have found the only way to fix that is to close all apps before unplugging and rebooting the phone. The app isn't Facebook for me.

This has happened on both of my S7 Edge phones and my Note 5 and closing apps and rebooting has fixed the problem on all phones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not really.

Only reason you would do so is to kill a rogue app that's running or if you're like me and have a case of OCD and need a clean recent apps screen. XD

But really, the OS itself can already intelligently manage resources and will know which app to prioritize the more you use your phone. So it is best to let it do its job and not interfere with its operation with crap like Clean Master and whatnot.

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
when you guys says "I only close apps when X" to exit out of them do you usually hit the (0) /home screen to exit out of them?