RENAMING A MARSHMALLOWED, 'BAPTISED' ITEM in Galaxy s 7 ?

hene

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Greetings.
These are 'tongue-in-cheek' queries -- once i foresee if i succeeded some of these quest, the consequences would probably be crippling the OS -- but i do not resist to place them all the same:

1 - Marshmallow baptised my sdcard (ext card) to C91A-798D or something akin, i'm quoting by memory. Could i rename it back? How?

2 - After a carefully surveyed cleaning raid (clean master) i came across a cryptic info, such as: "Due to restrictions bla,bla...'Caches and Processes' can only be cleaned manually". What does this mean??

3 - Suddenly i'm not allowed to delete some files of mine in my sdcard, placed inside folders i built in it and which i cannot rename and/or even just delete. Why, for Pete's sake, and why SUDDENLY ??

4 - I'm sick and tired of Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 -- it is highly restrictive; it is perverse; it is erratic; it is bloated; it is audio-crippled... Would any kind soul learn me which Cyanogenmod version is more adaptative to my so highly praised device and displaying so plain, vulgar, battery gulping to just eventual run-of-the-mill (at best) performances?

Thanks for your possible good patience, I know i'm crossing a perilous road.

Regards,
H Ene

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw your other thread. I'm sorry your question was overlooked.

1. Taking a guess here, but perhaps inserting to a PC and renaming the card that way?

2. Are you trying to have Clean Master do a cache clear for you?

3. Try connecting to a PC to delete those files. What app are you using to try and delete them?

4. You are using the stock ROM? Which model S7 do you have?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Haven't tried it, but if the SD card is new with no contents, I'd think the reformat process on the phone can assign it a name.

2. Clean Master shouldn't even be downloaded onto a phone. EVER. It does not help, makes the phone slow, steals your data to sell it to the highest bidder, and slows the phone down. I don't even trust that it does its supposed cleaning job right. Some system caches though cannot be cleaned using apps and you have to use the system recovery menu.

3. Not encountered anything like that.

4. Depends exactly on what you are claiming to have problems, since Cyanogenmod for the S7 will still be Marshmallow, as it's the base OS the phone came out with. AFAIK on ROMs, you can't go lower version than the first one the phone came out with.

hene

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks kindly to responders BUT iḿ sorry to say the provided help was minimum:
1 - Can i rename my sdcard to extcard or sdCard instead of the obnoxious alpha-digit group that S7 ascribed to my said sdcard? IF yes, HOW?

2 - i do not use Clean Master (yes chanchan05 you're correct!), i use SDMAID or CCleaner -- but the first is dangerously harsh and the latter stops facing Cache because: "Due to restrictions bla,bla...'Caches and Processes' can only be cleaned manually". -- how erratic can one OS be?!

3 - Marshmallow, continuing the Lollipop "opus", is restricting and crippling performances (that's my free opinion: now delete, ban, "move"... whatever -- do your worse!) just to satisfy huge enpowered clients at buyers' expense who are, more and more, doomed to the pathetic role of 'puppets under strings'. And the force of those manufacturers, merchandisers, a.s.o. is so heavy that there are less and less sites allowing free protests to be received and published. And Apple is smiling and waiting...
Well that's it: that's my "ranting" (call it what you like) present whim. I sincerely beg your excuses. Regards, hene

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
1. Your sdcard wasn't actually named that numeric combination. That is how the filesystem identifies it. The actually formatted name could be anything.
2. Those cleaning apps are mostly a scam and you can use the existing settings tools as others have stated to clear cache.
3. As for the OS, the earlier reply is correct that any ROM for the S7 is going to be based on Marshmallow. I'm not sure if anything other than stock is available.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. As I said, have you tried reformatting using the phone? The reformat process usually asks you to name the card as well. I don't have a card to try it on the S7 at the moment (using 2 sims on my phone).

2. I fail to see what the problem is. The restrictions are there because you may inadvertently delete something you downloaded. Cache cleaners like those apps often clean out also downloaded data that are manually cached by the user. When you set a file to be available offline on Dropbox, or set a video to be available offline on Youtube for example. These cache cleaner apps also delete these. Hence the restrictions were placed for some apps.

3. That's really vague you know. You're just saying they're crippling the OS without saying how you find the OS crippled. Hence I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

hene

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Oh OK chanchan5 i can see i was generalizing too much. For the benefit of noobees like me (or even more ignoramus...) but aiming to be future "owners" of such praised device as undeservedly is Galaxy S7 i will state hereby why i declare Marshmallow cripples sundry functions:
1st - It does not let you install and/or just run SEVERAL apps. Exempla gratiae: Swapps; Uninstall Master Uninstaller, various different WIFI Booster apps, BatteryRepair, Cache Cleaner, Call History -- to name just half a dozen (but the real list is larger, believe me);
2nd - it cripples the audio performance (under the umbrella of your 'health concerns' lowers down the reproducing levels (i even had a msg. reading that: « "one" app 'asked' Viper4Android to reduce the playing output level» -- just like that!! -- believe it or not. BUT, even if you had previously set the
audio notifications at a very low volume level, i've been astonnished by the tremendous sound level the device produced when announcing a Samsung Gear Update on waiting (even or perhaps because i had uninstalled from system the app "Gear" -- now if this is not 'manipulation', please tell me what do you consider "crippling"; another form of cripplyng audio is to misdirect apps as per where is the local of items (mp3s) to play. Misdirect and/or not accepting to establish and save locals where players may begin to offer availability of storaged items to play. Crippling refers further to CHANGE recorrently the base media volume level you settled.
To generalize: a crippling OS is also to dismiss your choices as default keyboard app, placing instead the mediocre system keyboard as default -- whatever you, as owner, multiplied times attempted to attribute to a different keyboard app.
I hope i've been objective enough to clarify what i mean by a "crippling OS" and by the role of «puppets under strings» to which buyers of this device are convicted to.
And i rest my case.
Thanks for the eventual attention: on this issue i will bother you no more. Kind regards, hene

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Cache cleaner issues I've already explained.
2. Battery Repair is a fraud. And this has been proven. The simple fact that it says your battery has 100 cells when in real life the batteries only have 1-3 cells and that these cannot be repaired by software proves this.
3. What exactly do you mean by does not let you install? Did you get an error on Play Store?
4. This was a proposal long before in EU, in 2010 I think, where in some countries it has been made law as I remember correctly. They imposed set limits on personal music player volumes. Some manufacturers may have ignored this. And Samsung was a bit enthusiastic and applied it everywhere. And medically speaking, a single burst of loud noise is not as detrimental to health as long term listening of music. Personally I don't really see how the volume is crippled. Even with this supposedly crippled volume I keep my headset music volume at about 25% because going higher is already too loud. Although I have been medically tested with pure tone audiometry to have higher than normal hearing acuity (normal hearing can hear as quiet as 15hz for the general populace. I go as low as 10hz). So this 'too loud' may be specifically for me alone and a few others.
5. I am a bit confused as to how you say the apps are misdirected as where the mp3s are. It can find the mp3s in whatever folder you put them it.
6. Been using Swiftkey as my default keyboard. Never saw another keyboard since I installed it. So again, I do not understand the last issue if you are implying that it does not keep defaults.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to add a couple of things to what Chanchan05 said. This is what I found about some of the apps you mentioned. Some require root access to work properly, did you root your previous phone? Maybe that's the difference you're noticing. Other hasn't received an update for more than a year and maybe the devs just abandoned it.

And, as chanchan said, most boosters, cleaners or battery repairers apps are nothing more than snake oil, better stay away from them.

hene

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
«Lao Tse or Confucius hard followers blind and deaf themselves to any other ghostspreadings. Our attempts to shed light over their minds and souls has been useless untill now. On the contrary, if one continues to try and show them their foolish blindness, one is liable to risk is own patience drive, his honor and good name, and even his life, may God forbid it.» -- G. Garcia written testimony to his Order Superior, days before of his own crucifixion, ordered by the Nipon Governor of Nagasaki in the Japanese Province where the Jesuit mission was planted by the portuguese in the end of the XVI century.
Look, hene: Live and learn!
Will do.
Regards,
h

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
About the inability to install specific apps, let's consider something....if the app developer has not updated a particular app to accommodate a new Android API level (the technical phrase for the ROM), the device and the Play Store go through a compatibility check. This is where apps are filtered for your device. I am guessing that this may be why you can't find some apps in Play?

On your last point in post #7, I'm still not clear on the crippling of the OS. You made an example of the keyboard. You should be able to change it via Settings>language and input.

As for the puppet remark....even taking time to read through a forum puts most people far above the average user. I'm sure if you ask a group of people who makes Android devices, almost all will say Samsung and not be able to mention another OEM. A lot of people don't know any other one. How Samsung modifies the ROM doesn't mean that MM is a crippled OS. In this case, it's Samsung's version. I upgraded to the Note 5 last November. If I could go back and make a different decision, I probably would have. There is some things that Samsung does that I want to have a very harsh conversation with the developer of TouchWiz. The big reason I am not really upset about it is the Note is not my daily driver. My Nexus 5X is.

hene

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Greetings Gentlemen and High Ambassadors alike,

I' ve managed to ROOT (through flashing a carefully selected custom ROM) and have to declare that Mar****mallow, even thus continues to: a) uninstall and delete Batteryrepair.apk from its folder source -- and the fact that the said app might be just a scham has nothing to do with my point: -- MY POINT WAS the "mammy knows best" authorative-imposed on me -- the legal owner of the device;
b) disable Swapps application to run;
c) block the installation of some WI-FI 'boosting'.apks -- just stating «Application NOT installed».
And the above serves to stress and highlight that my posted infos were exact -- although not "softly-politically-correct statements"...

BUT, my Gurus, let me hereby confess: i never had a better Audio Quality before ROM flashing!
Better even than the output of Xiaomi redmi note; better than with LG 5!. Believe it or not.

And now, for something different (according Monty Python legacy) :

1. As i reported the sdcard, which i had renamed 'extsdcard' was Marshmallowed, baptised as «CD7AD8764»;

2. Powered off, extracted the said sdcard and on my rig i labelled it 'CD7A-D8764' -- just like that.

3. Re-inserted the said "officialy" renamed sdcard and when i called it through the File Manager, i
realized it had been re-baptised again, this time to "DEA4268482";

4. Repeated steps 1 and 2 changing the nickname to 'DEA4-6848'; after its re-inserting my sdcard
now displays the designative: "DC786-4E44".

Can one call «crippling» to this programmed behaviour?? No -- i do not claim that!
Or can one tag it as a perverse display of «WE COMMAND THE SHOW ! - Get used, man !» ??
Kind Regards,
hene

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci