Is there something wrong with my camera?

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I know there has been some criticism of the S7's oversharpening of pictures. I've seen some examples of this. But the sharpening artifacts on the pictures I've taken look worse than any others that I've seen. When viewed at 100%, they look like Monet oil paintings. These are just a couple I took as examples using the Auto settings and processing; I don't really know my way around cameras that well. I took the same views with an HTC 10 camera, they lost detail at 100% but looked more natural. Is my S7 camera worse than others, or am I just a lousy photographer?

Attachments

• Pics-crop.jpg
    Pics-crop.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Pics2-crop.jpg
    Pics2-crop.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 81

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Both pictures have very "busy" content. The weeds and flower buds would tend to look out of focus to the naked eye, IMO.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Got to echo what the others are saying. What's the issue with these shots? They don't look anything like oil paintings.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
You're not going to view these pictures at 100% anyway. The composition is not the best. There is nothing to rest your eye on. And I certainly am not trying to hurt your feelings! Just trying to help. Google and read up on photo composition or how to compose a picture. A photo doesn't HAVE to be text book perfect but if it's pleasing to the eye, has a focal point and interesting, that counts for a lot. Practice, practice, practice! It doesn't cost anymore to take 10,000 pictures than it does to take one :)

I took a picture today with my Canon SX50. When I saw the shot, I thought, "oh, this is going to be awesome!" Opened it up on the computer and it did nothing for me :( It looked good in my head. I thought the idea was a good one but this time it just didn't click. I've tried all day, leaving it, coming back, post processing...it's just a dud. Can't win 'em all :-\

Canon SX50 at 50X optical zoom. Maybe the problem is two roses. Maybe I should have cropped it to just include one rose. Yes, I think the two roses are vying for attention.
Roses-Cloud.jpg

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
You're not going to view these pictures at 100% anyway. The composition is not the best. There is nothing to rest your eye on. And I certainly am not trying to hurt your feelings! Just trying to help. Google and read up on photo composition or how to compose a picture. A photo doesn't HAVE to be text book perfect but if it's pleasing to the eye, has a focal point and interesting, that counts for a lot. Practice, practice, practice! It doesn't cost anymore to take 10,000 pictures than it does to take one :)

I took a picture today with my Canon SX50. When I saw the shot, I thought, "oh, this is going to be awesome!" Opened it up on the computer and it did nothing for me :( It looked good in my head. I thought the idea was a good one but this time it just didn't click. I've tried all day, leaving it, coming back, post processing...it's just a dud. Can't win 'em all :-\

Canon SX50 at 50X optical zoom. Maybe the problem is two roses. Maybe I should have cropped it to just include one rose. Yes, I think the two roses are vying for attention.
View attachment 229760

For me a tight crop on the right roses and replace the cloud with blue sky works best. Just a pity the buds are in the foreground and not behind the roses.

To the OP Monicakm is right, most of what makes a good shot is composition. Read up on the rule of 3rds. It's very hard to even decide what's your focus, so I can't even say how good or how bad the camera was in deciding what to focus and meter.

If you don't want any sharpening on your photos shoot raw and then you can decide how much you want to sharpen, remember you sharpen different amounts for your output medium. Print v screen need different amount of sharpening.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Issues about composition aside, I see exactly what the OP is talking about. Both in his pictures and every picture I've taken or seen taken with the S7.

It's normal, and the way the image is processed. You can shoot in raw and process it yourself if it bothers you too much. It's also one of those things that some people will notice and others won't notice — all of our eyes are different.

Chances are when you edit a raw picture to your liking, others will say it's too soft and milky.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hence, I said they are "normal". sigh.

Normal meaning if you had 10 more S7's, and took photos with them, the results would be the same. hence, "normal". Can't we move on now? This is not a professional-grade Nikon! Jeez. it's a CELL PHONE.

Even my Nikon D5100 leaves something to be desired but I don't use my DSL enough, nor do I want to pack a heavier camera, nor do I have deep enough pockets to justify a more expensive Nikon.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hence, I said they are "normal". sigh.

Normal meaning if you had 10 more S7's, and took photos with them, the results would be the same. hence, "normal". Can't we move on now? This is not a professional-grade Nikon! Jeez. it's a CELL PHONE.

Even my Nikon D5100 leaves something to be desired but I don't use my DSL enough, nor do I want to pack a heavier camera, nor do I have deep enough pockets to justify a more expensive Nikon.

If you have an issue with me or anyone else posting, please talk to the moderators.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What?? What "issue"? I thought we are discussing S7 camera expectations? I don't need to talk with the mods.

furthermore, much of my comment wasn't even directed to you.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
OK, thanks for the advice. The pictures were just a couple I took specifically to post here as examples of what I was seeing. I was actually on a construction site, so my composition was just trying to find views without huge piles of dirt. I wanted to know if I needed to return the phone, because they looked a little weird to me.
Here's one I took at work today. (This is also part of a construction site, believe it or not.) The water still looks a little paint-like to me. I guess it's just different than what I'm used to. The S7's water resistance gave me some peace of mind when I took the shot though. :)

Attachments

• river.jpg
    river.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21