Why are my selfie pictures are all in negative exposure mode?

A

AC Question

I have a samsung s7 and have not had problems taking selfies in selfie mode until yesterday night at a wedding. When I capture the selfie image, it was clear and bright and even the little icon of the pictures looked like what I wanted. However, when I touched to view it it looked like I had taken that pictures in a negative exposure mode. The nonselfie mode pictures are normal at night and day and the selfie mode for video recording is still normal.

I've been testing settings and looking for responses and checked the accessibility, then vision, and negative effect and it is still Off. My screen protector is not covering the lenses as well. I have no clue as to as to what could have happen.

Please help! Thank you for any input!!!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
1.Go to Apps through Home screen.
2.Scroll to Settings, then tap on it.
3.Scroll to Accessibility, then tap on it.
4.Scroll down to the Vision section. Depending on your current settings tap Negative colours option to enable or disable this option. When the checkbox next to this option is ticked means the phone will reverse the colours of the screen.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No..... this is a straight up bug in the camera software. My wife took the kids to a splash park yesterday and my daughter took a bunch of selfies that came out dark and all negative looking. I checked it out and verified:

1) it ISN'T the camera since looking at the FFC before taking the picture is 100% fine
2) It occurs on the post-processing
3) clearing the camera data/cached don't do squat.

I then used the good ol' fashioned trick of "turning it off and back on" and it cleared it up.

Only thing I can think of is the recent update from Sammy (June) caused a bug in the camera processing software that causes this. I suspect that it has to do with the softening they do on FFC shots to make things look a bit more pleasant.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My Android build number ends in 2APE1
Security patch level says June 1 2016
I just took a selfie and it's normal in color.

jannam3000

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your simple fix... My phone is working fine after restarting. Any ideas on how to save those pics? I never preview my pics and now I've a bunch of negative looking pics from my vacation.

glennsphillips

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Same issue. Galaxy S7 Edge. A restart of phone stopped the problem.

However I have several vacation photos that are all messed up. These are not real negative images.

I moved them to my PC, used different software to go negative, and then the image comes out too bright and with colors way way off. Granted my teeth went from pitch black to white, but it seems there are colors missing.

Anyone have any idea how to recover these images?

stephanieparsons

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
my phone has done the same thing. i didn't realize it until i was looking back at vacation photos and noticed they were all dark. It was fixed once i reset my phone, but am devastated the pics did not turn out.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not that they are negatives they just appear similar, whatever bug is in the processing is destroying the image... Looks like it's cancelling most of the color pallet.

The pictures are a lost cause.

LeafysgirlxD

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Mines doing the same thing. I got this phone (galaxy s 7 edge) for my graduation and i was horrified when i saw the selfies i had taken. I thought my phone wss broken. Will samsung fix it?

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the S7 and mine just started this very same thing yesterday. I looked in my Settings and nothing is marked as negative. I took the suggestions of another person on this forum (thank you LeoRex) and just shut my phone down and turned it back on. This has solved the problem, but unfortunately didn't fix the pictures that had already been taken (in selfie mode). Hopefully it stays fixed.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Still no fix that I've heard of. Though, I can't day as though I'm shocked. Samsung does have a reputation of moving on once the new-phone smell wears off... If you don't get a fix in the first month or so, you might never.

They have a million phone models and what might amount to a lower priority defect just doesn't warrant the time and effort to fix...

Vanessa_momm

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
LeoRex,

Thank you for your simple turn the phone off and turn it back on again! I spent half an hour trying to figure out if I had pushed a button. The accessibility feature someone mentioned is NOT the problem we have been talking about. That would mean the whole phone is negative exposure.... I have had the issue stated here where selfie photos only were affected. How annoying! Even in the little preview corner on camera mode it looks like they are normal. It is only in the gallery they show up messed up. Samsung better fix this. This is unacceptable.

Wish my pics were able to be rescued... :-(

But glad now it works fine ...for now.. Because of your easy advice,

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When it first happened, I thought it was some sort of whacky negative .... but I took one of the pics into a photo editing suite and started looking around. My not-so-educated guess is that what we see in those blackened photographs is some soft of processing information, i.e. the bits that Samsung's photo processing software was planning on adding to the original photograph to improve things.

Keep in mind that the front facing camera does all sorts of smoothing and sculpting... that 'beauty mode' stuff that people are always complaining about. I think what is happening is that when it comes time to stitch the image back together, the software is flushing the original image and leaving behind only the 'smoothing' bits. That's why you can sort of make out the picture, but a ton of the info is lost.