Camera on the S7 vs S5

charlesxy

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Greetings,

I am bit confused about the camera specs on the S7 vs S5.

I see that the specs for the S7 is 12MP while for the S5 is 16MP.

How can this be? Apologies if I am missing something, but does this not mean that the older version has better camera than the newer version?

I currently have an S3 with an 8MP camera, so either the S5 or S7 would be a significant upgrade.

But, I am puzzled by the differences between the S5 and S7.

Can someone please clarify?

Thank you.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Higher megapixels is a marketing ploy. More megapixels doesn't equal a better picture. The glass, and the sensor size are among the specs that make for a better camera. I came from a S5 also. Trust me, there is no comparison in all scenarios but most especially in low-light. You won't be disappointed.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned above, higher megapixels does not mean anything in terms of camera quality. For example I have an old 14 megapixel Sony digital camera, and the S7 takes way better pictures. The S5 may take more of the view into the photo due to the increased of pixels available, but it doesn't mean it has better quality. The reason behind it is the same as why a Canon or Nikon DSLR camera with 13-16mp is still way better than that Sony camera with 23mp.

Here's a nice article about 12mp vs 16mp using the S7 and S6. The S6 camera is similar to the the S5 in terms of design (both have 16:9 aspect ratio), so it could suffice as stand in.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here...of-the-Galaxy-S7-and-S6-doesnt-matter_id79251
http://www.androidbeat.com/2016/02/why-samsung-galaxy-s7-camera-better-than-galaxy-s6/

charlesxy

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for the information.

I know that this is off topic, but for you all that are recommending the 7 over the 5 for the camera, can you say the same for the battery life? This is really key for me. Thanks.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have not seen anyone say the S5 battery was better than the S7 aside from being able to physically swap batteries (in the S5).
From a spec standpoint, the S7 should be slightly better both in regard to mAh & updated op system.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a S7edge so cant directly answer re the S7 but..

I'm a heavy user of the battery, I have everything on all the time, an android wear watch paired and use my phone as a tether for my ipad.
My S5 would just about get me through a day but the S7e gets me a day and half if need it.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I had an S5 and the battery in the S7 lasts longer in the real world. I could just about get a days medium useage from my s5 but the S7 result lasts out a day and into the night.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

charlesxy

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Great..thanks all for the feedback. My S3 has been good to me for the most part, but I've been getting frustrated with it lately. I was thinking of switching to the 5, but I may just save up enough money to go for the 7 instead.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Great..thanks all for the feedback. My S3 has been good to me for the most part, but I've been getting frustrated with it lately. I was thinking of switching to the 5, but I may just save up enough money to go for the 7 instead.

Its worth it if you can stretch the budget.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't find the battery life to be much if any better than on my S5. I don't have any real complaints about it, it's just not better like I thought it would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech