Is it worth it?

Reasons I'm thinking about this:
    - Every once in awhile I get the feeling I want something new to play with and phones are usually the thing I want to play with.

- I was vacationing at Disney World over the last few days and I realized it would be nice to have a waterproof phone (it rained, hard) as well as a phone that takes better pictures.

Thinking about getting one and selling my 6P.-img_20160630_171714.jpg

Just look at the noise in this picture... Even the "clear" pictures aren't clear.

- Better battery life. With rooting I can get my 6P to last over a day but I want it to last me through the day without having to charge.

- Better screen. I feel like everything is wayyy too big on this (6p) screen. I am using textra and Sync (for Reddit) so there I have the font smaller but default everything is so big and barely anything fits on the screen.

- Wireless charging. Not necessary but a nice thing to have.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I am worried about with the switch: (arranged by most feared to least feared)

- Back or front glass cracking for no reason. My sister has had her S7 in an Otterbox Symmetry for the entire time she has owned the phone. She went for a run one day (and I guess because of a mixture of the FL heat and her body heat) the back glass cracked. Working at Best Buy I will be sitting on it, running around, sweating, etc. & I don't want the glass on my phone to crack due to heat... that is poor design.

- Sound not being as good as my front facing speakers. I watch videos sometimes and I'd rather not contort my hands to weird positions to accommodate the bottom speaker. Especially if it isn't even that good of a speaker.

- Pictures still having noise like the above one. Even with the back camera. I don't take pictures much so when I do, I want the camera to be better than the one above. :/

- Slower fingerprint sensor. I use this to make sure that if I lose my phone that no one can use it before I have a chance to wipe it. Plus, my sister likes to snoop so that keeps her out of my phone unless I say so.

- Not being able to root at all. Since I am so indecisive I like the option to have root, even if I don't use it. I'm with T-Mobile if that makes any difference....

- Not being able to use SMS for Apple Messages (for my Mac & Android Phone). Currently the app works fantastic but I want to make sure it works on the S7.

- Running out of storage. I only have 32GB as it is with no expandability so it isn't a big concern, but still a concern. I use Google Photos and I stream all my music & videos thanks to T-Mobile. I just don't want to run out due to having too many apps.

I think that is all. I'm wanting to hear from people who have the S7 and switched from the Nexus 6 or 6P. What do you think? Are you worried about slow/lack of updates? Why did you switch?
    Speedygi likes this.
    07-01-2016 09:19 PM
    As for fingerprint reader, maybe not as fast than 6p (for what I read, never owned one) but find if fast enough. Faster than my previous phone, s6, and way faster Than note 4. And being in the front, convenient for me, as just press home button, don't have to turn phone to unlock.

As for storage, it is expendable, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I never had real issues with speaker on bottom, better than back. Would like to try front to compare but decent as it is.

And camera is top notch, didn't notice anything wrong with it.
    07-01-2016 11:48 PM
    I actually traded my Nexus 6p for a Galaxy S7 edge bundle.

The fingerprint sensor on the 6p is way better. 99.9% of the time it worked the first time on the 6p. On the S7, I'd say it's accurate about 70% of the time? I also like having the fingerprint scanner on the front of the phone as well.

Speaker sound is also better on the 6p than the S7. The front facing speaker on the 6p has a little more trebile while the S7 has a overall better sound....even though it's not as loud. The headphone port on the top of the 6p is a deal breaker for me as I prefer the port out of the bottom. Not a big deal to some, for me it is.

Keyboard. I could just never get used to the 6p keyboard. It looked too cluttered and was a disaster for me to use. Having the number row on top of the Samsung keyboard makes me feel right at home. I used a Note 5 before going to a iPhone 6s Plus then to a S7, so the Samsung keyboard just feels perfect for me.

After having the 6p for a while, I've come to learn that I "have" to have a physical home button. I didn't think I'd need it, but I was wrong! Being able to use it has won me over 100%.

Battery on the S7 is a little better than the 6p. Not by much but a little better. On the 6p, I'd unplug around 6:30am, then plug back in around 12:30 with 15-20% on the 6p. All this with moderate use. The same exact charge times on the S7 and I'm around 35-45% . Add to the fact that the Sammy has fast charging and it's a win for the S7.

Screen and camera are also a lot better on the S7. I don't take many pics but the colors are a lot deeper on the S7.
    raziel and aximtreo like this.
    07-02-2016 12:08 AM
    As for fingerprint reader, maybe not as fast than 6p (for what I read, never owned one) but find if fast enough. Faster than my previous phone, s6, and way faster Than note 4. And being in the front, convenient for me, as just press home button, don't have to turn phone to unlock.

As for storage, it is expendable, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I never had real issues with speaker on bottom, better than back. Would like to try front to compare but decent as it is.

And camera is top notch, didn't notice anything wrong with it.
    Thanks!

I actually traded my Nexus 6p for a Galaxy S7 edge bundle.

The fingerprint sensor on the 6p is way better. 99.9% of the time it worked the first time on the 6p. On the S7, I'd say it's accurate about 70% of the time? I also like having the fingerprint scanner on the front of the phone as well.

Speaker sound is also better on the 6p than the S7. The front facing speaker on the 6p has a little more trebile while the S7 has a overall better sound....even though it's not as loud. The headphone port on the top of the 6p is a deal breaker for me as I prefer the port out of the bottom. Not a big deal to some, for me it is.

Keyboard. I could just never get used to the 6p keyboard. It looked too cluttered and was a disaster for me to use. Having the number row on top of the Samsung keyboard makes me feel right at home. I used a Note 5 before going to a iPhone 6s Plus then to a S7, so the Samsung keyboard just feels perfect for me.

After having the 6p for a while, I've come to learn that I "have" to have a physical home button. I didn't think I'd need it, but I was wrong! Being able to use it has won me over 100%.

Battery on the S7 is a little better than the 6p. Not by much but a little better. On the 6p, I'd unplug around 6:30am, then plug back in around 12:30 with 15-20% on the 6p. All this with moderate use. The same exact charge times on the S7 and I'm around 35-45% . Add to the fact that the Sammy has fast charging and it's a win for the S7.

Screen and camera are also a lot better on the S7. I don't take many pics but the colors are a lot deeper on the S7.
    Yeah, I love the fingerprint sensor on the 6P. I had the iPhone 6S Plus for a few days and it annoyed me (after having the 6P) that the iPhone wouldn't read my fingerprint unless I had it in just the right spot. Then it worked fine.

Really? Better sound out of one bottom speaker vs 2 front facing? Do you have any issues covering it up when watching YouTube videos/netflix?

I haven't had any issues with the 6P keyboard but then again the only keyboard my fingers love is the iPhone.... I type like a champ on there. All other keyboards I make mistakes unless there is swype but that's why there is Swiftkey.

Yeah, the physical home button is nice. Makes it easy to figure out if you are holding your phone upside down.

That's one thing I would like, too. Plus my whole family uses regular micro USB so having the only USB-C I get stuck sometimes. So it would be nice to borrow my family's charger if I wanted to without having to find mine and plug it in.

Do you have any worries about rooting or anything? I love having my 6P rooted with a custom ROM due to all of the extra features and being able to have the status bar the way I want it. My biggest thing is the status bar feature of ROMs. That's one thing I will miss.
    07-02-2016 07:22 PM
    Yes. I'm also a champ typing on the iPhone 6s Plus. However, I prefer the number row on top of the keyboard and love to use Swype. I've tried to use SK, I just can't do it. The iPhone 6s Plus just plain works great every time.....but that's no fun lol.

The 6p is an awesome phone, I just prefer a physical home button. The fingerprint scanner was in a OK spot, but the phone was a little too big for me.

I also have a Nexus 5x as well. The fingerprint scanner is in the same spot, but since the 5x is a lot smaller it's much more comfortable for my hands.
    07-02-2016 08:20 PM
    If you don't mind big phones I'd wait and get a Note 7.
    07-02-2016 09:30 PM
    Not sure there's a reason to spend a premium price for the S7 if you're not into taking pictures with your phone. The screen and the camera
    are killer! IMO, it's THE prime reason to own this phone. I've had no issues with mine as far as cracks or scratches but I don't carry it "on" me either. Battery life (for me) isn't as good as my S5. I'm disappointed in the sound. I've gotten somewhat used to it but if I played music on my phone, I would be much more disappointed in the speakers. I don't anticipate running out of storage with a 128GB sd card
    07-03-2016 01:19 AM
    Yes. I'm also a champ typing on the iPhone 6s Plus. However, I prefer the number row on top of the keyboard and love to use Swype. I've tried to use SK, I just can't do it. The iPhone 6s Plus just plain works great every time.....but that's no fun lol.

The 6p is an awesome phone, I just prefer a physical home button. The fingerprint scanner was in a OK spot, but the phone was a little too big for me.

I also have a Nexus 5x as well. The fingerprint scanner is in the same spot, but since the 5x is a lot smaller it's much more comfortable for my hands.
    Yeah, I prefer the bigger screened phones so I think I am going to go with \/ said and wait for the Note 7. As long as it has a variant without a curved screen I'll probably get it.

If you don't mind big phones I'd wait and get a Note 7.
    I hope it is water resistant. That is the biggest thing drawing me to the S7. Previous Notes haven't been so we will see.

Not sure there's a reason to spend a premium price for the S7 if you're not into taking pictures with your phone. The screen and the camera
    are killer! IMO, it's THE prime reason to own this phone. I've had no issues with mine as far as cracks or scratches but I don't carry it "on" me either. Battery life (for me) isn't as good as my S5. I'm disappointed in the sound. I've gotten somewhat used to it but if I played music on my phone, I would be much more disappointed in the speakers. I don't anticipate running out of storage with a 128GB sd card
    I do take pictures, just not all of the time. & Ah. Good to know.
    07-03-2016 08:11 AM
    I'm just not a picture/camera person. My wife handles 99% of the pics, so I'm good.

I agree though, the few times I have opened the camera app, the focusing and picture taking was amazing. Just not my thing.
    07-03-2016 10:05 AM
    I have both the 6P and the S7 Edge. Both are amazing phones. Both have great cameras. The Edge is better in some situations but the 6P takes better low light photos in most cases.

The S7 feels better in the hand and is easier to get around with. I threw a 128gb SD card in and it's great to have as much room as I need.

I picked up the S7 EDGE on Swappa.com for a good price. I won't pay full price for a phone like this again. Phones like the 6P are every bit as good and much less expensive. That's me though. Everyone should make their own choice.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    07-05-2016 09:47 PM
    @OP

On the subject of the GS7 fingerprint reader, I'd say mine is dead quick and on par with Apples fingerprint on the S series. A tip I can share with you and other forum members that haven't set up a finger print reader before, is this.

During setup rotate the angle of your finger, or thumb during each step while it's calibrating your prints. Think of the reader as a clock so rotate your finger to comfortable angles anywhere from 7-2 o'clock. That way you ensure better reader results no matter how you're holding the phone when you log in.
    07-06-2016 08:27 AM