No Verizon WiFi Calling on Unlocked S7 :(

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Bought the new Unlocked S7 from BB yesterday and Verizon WiFi calling is unavailable. Everything else from Verizon works perfectly fine. Inserted the Verizon SIM, the S7 rebooted to activate Verizon features, but no WiFi Calling option. Called Verizon this morning and the rep suggested I visit the Samsung Experience at BB to see what they can say or do. Bummer. Might just get the new Verizon LTE Network Extender instead of fretting about it, since literally the ONLY place I need WiFi Calling is in the dead spot known as my home. (And that's literally for EVERY carrier I've used.) On the plus side, since I'm using the Verizon Messages+ app, texts still work perfectly fine since it uses wifi when no cellular signal is detected.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think any unlocked phone supports Wi-Fi calling on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well there are still many phones that AT&T doesn't allow to use wifi calling, so Verizon is not alone.

They're all "evil". lol

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Not enjoying the experience so far. Between having no WiFi Calling, the incredibly rapid battery drain (which is NOT an issue on my Verizon-branded S7 Edge) and, worst of all, the slight hesitation when selecting a menu item or scrolling in Chrome or Facebook, this puppy will be being returned if nothing changes in the next couple days.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Doing a full reset and restore today. See if that'll help with these issues I've been having. (Well, outside of the WiFi Calling anyway.)

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Lost 13 percent of the battery overnight - midnight to 7 am - with nothing on and no apps running in the background. GSAM Pro tells me that the phone radio accounted for 52 percent of that. (Meanwhile, the Verizon-branded S7 Edge was at 96 percent and the iPhone SE at 100 percent - both with wi-fi calling active - during the same time frame.) The weak cell signal in my home, coupled with no wi-fi calling, is gonna be the deal breaker here I'm afraid. Certainly not worth keeping simply for the elimination of carrier bloat.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Lost 13 percent of the battery overnight - midnight to 7 am - with nothing on and no apps running in the background. GSAM Pro tells me that the phone radio accounted for 52 percent of that. (Meanwhile, the Verizon-branded S7 Edge was at 96 percent and the iPhone SE at 100 percent - both with wi-fi calling active - during the same time frame.) The weak cell signal in my home, coupled with no wi-fi calling, is gonna be the deal breaker here I'm afraid. Certainly not worth keeping simply for the elimination of carrier bloat.

That sucks...sorry to see you went through all that trouble.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Not just Verizon. I'm on T-Mobile and I also have a dead zone which happens to be where I live. WiFi calling worked fine on the LG-G4 I bought from the carrier, but when I bought an unlocked Motorola X Pure Edition, that feature wasn't available. I had to get a Cell Spot to have any reception at home. I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge from T-Mobile and got WiFi calling back. There was a lot of discussion on the forums about how this feature only works when a carrier programs it into the devices they sell.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Not just Verizon. I'm on T-Mobile and I also have a dead zone which happens to be where I live. WiFi calling worked fine on the LG-G4 I bought from the carrier, but when I bought an unlocked Motorola X Pure Edition, that feature wasn't available. I had to get a Cell Spot to have any reception at home. I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge from T-Mobile and got WiFi calling back. There was a lot of discussion on the forums about how this feature only works when a carrier programs it into the devices they sell.

This is weird...I bought the unlocked S7 and activated a T-Mobile SIM (I'm considering switching from Verizon to T-Mobile)...with the T-Mobile SIM in the unlocked S7 I have wifi calling. So I can confirm what's already been stated in this thread...the unlocked Galaxy S7 does support wifi calling with a T-Mobile SIM.

I made one quick call with my Verizon SIM in the unlocked device and that did not appear to use wifi...however I am still in the process of trying to get settings squared away, etc. There is an VLlte setting but I don't know what that really means ultimately. I guess voice and data at the same time.

I have noticed (this is totally unrelated but wanted to mention in case anyone else has an "ah ha" moment) that with advanced calling turned on with my Verizon issued Samsung Galaxy S7, I get HORRIBLE high pitched feedback. It's not all the time but it's ear deafening when it happens. It doesn't happen when advanced is turned off...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wifi calling works fine on T-Mobile using my unlocked S7 edge. As usual it's useless evil Verizon version that you can't, you have to buy the ugly looking phone with Verizon stamp and the Verizon crap.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
While unlocked is nice, that is one of the risks with them, carriers don't have to allow all features to work and then done functionality is lost.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, your battery is draining quickly at night probably because of the poor signal at home. Always trying to search for better signal.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Badass Galaxy S7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995