Samsung Galaxy s7 screen cracked, by itself?!!!

assaweee

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded my galaxy s6 this past Saturday to the galaxy s7. Yesterday, Monday, I wake up and check my phone as usual, and there is a crack across the bottom of the screen!!!! It goes from the bottom left side of the phone to the bottom of the phone under the home button, and up to the home button. I have had this phone for 72 hours now. About 32 hours when it cracked. I have not dropped it or done anything else that could have caused it to crack like this. I've had cell phones for ten years now and have NEVER broken a phone or cracked a screen, and in the past I have most DEFINITELY dropped phones. I've had the galaxy line phones for probably 5 or so years now and have never had a problem like this. I slept in my living room the night before it cracked and had the phone next to the wall under the futon so I could hear my alarms in the morning, but it was not anywhere where i could even reach it without pulling it out from under the futon. T-mobile says they are unable to do anything for me, since I didn't notice anything physically wrong with the phone when i took it home from the store, and my only option is to pay $175 for insurance, at which point I would receive a refurbished phone instead of a new one. I've been looking online and came across another forum with between 10-15 post from different people who have had the same issue. The screen somehow cracks without anything having been done to it. My phone was charging all night and several of the other posts I saw said they either had theirs charging as well or it was outside in the heat/sunlight. I guess I'm trying to see if anyone here has had this issue, or has any suggestions on what steps I could take to have this fixed. If I would've have dropped the phone, left it on my car and sped off, and threw it at someones head out of anger, then yes, a cracked screen would be expected. But seriously?! Am about to call Samsung now, but going off of the other posts I've read, they haven't been helpful in this particular situation.

neighborette8

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I just got a new s7 sm-G930uzkaxaa this saturday too, and today it wouldn't take video, so I restarted the phone and it got really hot on the restart for some reason, and then it cooled down, but it got hot again when I had it charging. I am wondering if this phone is gonna hold up now that it got so hot for no apparent reason. Hope my screen doesn't crack from the heat.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you used American express or another card with purchase protection for accidental damage , then they would fully cover the amount that you paid on the card (so if you bought full retail then you would be fully covered).

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
No. Though I have had some small bugs. But my phone does have a small hairline crack in the bottom left screen from me dropping it. It doesn't effect use of the phone though. I've since put a tempered glass protector on mines. Really sorry to hear about your luck

Posted via the Android Central App running on my Galaxy S7

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my galaxy s6 this past Saturday to the galaxy s7. Yesterday, Monday, I wake up and check my phone as usual, and there is a crack across the bottom of the screen!!!! It goes from the bottom left side of the phone to the bottom of the phone under the home button, and up to the home button. I have had this phone for 72 hours now. About 32 hours when it cracked. I have not dropped it or done anything else that could have caused it to crack like this. I've had cell phones for ten years now and have NEVER broken a phone or cracked a screen, and in the past I have most DEFINITELY dropped phones. I've had the galaxy line phones for probably 5 or so years now and have never had a problem like this. I slept in my living room the night before it cracked and had the phone next to the wall under the futon so I could hear my alarms in the morning, but it was not anywhere where i could even reach it without pulling it out from under the futon. T-mobile says they are unable to do anything for me, since I didn't notice anything physically wrong with the phone when i took it home from the store, and my only option is to pay $175 for insurance, at which point I would receive a refurbished phone instead of a new one. I've been looking online and came across another forum with between 10-15 post from different people who have had the same issue. The screen somehow cracks without anything having been done to it. My phone was charging all night and several of the other posts I saw said they either had theirs charging as well or it was outside in the heat/sunlight. I guess I'm trying to see if anyone here has had this issue, or has any suggestions on what steps I could take to have this fixed. If I would've have dropped the phone, left it on my car and sped off, and threw it at someones head out of anger, then yes, a cracked screen would be expected. But seriously?! Am about to call Samsung now, but going off of the other posts I've read, they haven't been helpful in this particular situation.

That sucks. Not fully related but I have a Gear s2 I bought last Oct and the rubber wristband broke on it. This is a known issue and Samsung was said to be replacing the bands. Anyways I talked to a samsung rep they made a case number and all and said they would verify the serial number and get back with me. Anyways never contacted me and it's been almost two weeks. I didn't even bother calling them for another one and ordered one for 9 bucks off Amazon. It likely will tear again I can tell but hopefully it holds me for a couple more months since the major makers should be releasing their new models then.

Is poor customer service like this normal with Samsung?

mas90guru

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Recent owner of SM-G930U purchased from Best Buy. Just looking at my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 and notice the back of the phone in the lower left has a crack.

Same story. Never dropped, Barely even used. I'm going to have a conversation with Best Buy however I'm expecting they will tell me tough luck. My next conversation will be Samsung.

Have never had an issue with damaging any of my prior phones either.

Here's what mine looks like.

S7_shatter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if the internal parts are so tightly packed that with any amount of heat expansion the glass might crack. Kind of like how polycarbonate lenses crack from stress when left in the car and mounted in metal frames

Posted via the Android Central App

Echo381

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Recent owner of SM-G930U purchased from Best Buy. Just looking at my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 and notice the back of the phone in the lower left has a crack.

Same story. Never dropped, Barely even used. I'm going to have a conversation with Best Buy however I'm expecting they will tell me tough luck. My next conversation will be Samsung.

View attachment 231684

I also have a hairline cracking across my back glass and I've had my phone less than a week no drops or abuse I however was at a BBQ and it was sitting in the sun for a bit facedown so it makes me wonder

rsrocha

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I thought about this today that the phone could heat up from using it or charging (the fast charge heats up the phone a lot) and the thermal expansion could crack the screen or rear glass and it is a possibility. The build is so tight that when the metal around the phone heats up it can distort the glass mounting points and crack the glass.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 231684

Odd because that looks like it took a pointy hit

Posted via the Android Central App

ITSMEALIA

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
OMG, I am so happy to have found this forum!! I bought the edge and have gone to T-Mobile about over heating and they pretty much said , we have the same phone and haven't had that problem. this morning I woke up to a hot phone so I took off the cover and the back of my phone is shattered!!!!! What the heck!!!???

Jacob Obarski

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
That exact thing happen to me but I had a case on?? I was sitting in class and when I took my phone out the front had a small crack on it but I didn't make a big deal about it because it was so small but then when I looked at my camera I saw there was a small crack so I took the case off and the whole back was shattered , I have had heating issues before but I have never dropped or abused my phone it is only 3 months old. Help??

AmyBug5

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I had my Samsung Galaxy S7 in an Otterbox case and didn't drop it and the bottom screen cracked after playing music for an hour or so. It's frustrating!!

Reignwolf

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
That's scary... came here trying to find a solution around my cracked front screen that I gave myself by dropping the phone to read this. With the amount of users claiming that the screen broke in similar situations it really seems that the heat present in some occasions will crack the screen, zomg!

And the problem is: Having the screen cracked in a S7 Edge is dooming the phone to a utterly expensive repair (some company charged $370 to fix my screen) for it's unfriendly way of built. It's a complete pain to disassemble the phone and reglue it back ensuring that's water resistance feature would not be affected.

I was about to get another S7 Edge after selling my broke one but I think I am going to dodge it from now on...

Chrissy Beaty

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I heard a lot about Samsung lately and it has several issues especially with their new released phones due to a defective battery maybe a very serious issue, and has not stopped the internet. Nevertheless, they are open to complains and replacements especially to those phones still under warranties.

Xsamcustomer

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
EXACTLY the same has happened to me. phone charging overnight. Crack from left hand side home button extending to volume key. No dropping or abusing. Phone was in fine fettle and been in a hard backed leather flip from day one.
Samsung are nothing short of scam merchants. Stated and I quote " phone tested and all fine. Dust in charger port, phone in worn condition ( WTF ) and I must have used a non standard charger. "
That's your lot and goodbye. No challenge decision made.
If I'd damaged it myself hey no problem I wouldn't be even pursuing it. THIS IS A PHONE FAULT WHICH HAS CAUSED THE CRACK.
It's led me to believe the Samsung "warranty" is not worth the paper it's printed on.However I will now pursue this to the end. I am in the UK. Anyone else needs to start documenting this on line.

One deeply dissatisfied Ex Samsung user

mako1978

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I was charging my 6edge plus in the car while I went into walmart. I came back out 15 min later it said phone was too hot. Turn on the ac ,turn phone on , Crack on the left side of the home key. I called Samsung they said I need to pay for shipping and have a card on file b/c there will be a $200 fee charge if they think the phone was drop. I left iPhone because they where to small. as soon as I'm done with this payment plan I will be going back.

wordfool

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 231684

Looks very much like an impact did that. I have a hard time believing glass would spontaneously crack like that otherwise. You may not have remembered the impact, but I bet there was one.

cmcone01

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
I would tend to believe him. I have had my s7 edge since dec. 1st. I put a case on it right away and a screen protector. I was flying home on the 20th for the holidays. On the plane I was paying some stupid game and all of a sudden it got pretty warm and there was a loud pop and crackle sound. The flight attendant came over and started to yell at me for having a note on the plane and ordered to turn it off. I said it wasn't a note and showed her and she calmed down a bit but made me turn it off anyway. From that point forward the phone had a few problems. The sound kept going off and the screen wasn't as responsive. So tonight, Jan. 5th I took it to Sprint to look at it. For the first time since I bought it, he took off the case and there are a ton of cracks on the back. Mostly at the top but some long ones trailing down to the bottom. It sure looks like dropped it or hit it really hard but I absolutely did not. He told me I had to pay 200 to have it replaced. I opted to call Samsung and she said I could take it to Best Buy where I bought it and have them assess it and if they determined I dropped it, Samsung would not make the repair. I am taking it but I know I didn't drop it or hurt it in anyway. I know it cracked right in my hand and I didn't not know the back was also glass so I didn't think to look at the back. The front is fine. If this phone is not replaced I will certainly never buy a Samsung phone again. I haven't had one for like 6 years. I drop phones from time to time, always have a case on them. I have never damaged any phone I ever had for the last 15 years. As a matter of fact my last phone was an HTC and it was 3 years old when I bought this phone and I gave it to my daughter in law to use because she broke her phone. I dropped that phone plenty, never hard or far but from the couch to the carpet or in my car when I set it on the seat. The only problem with it is the battery doesn't stay charged very long anymore. It was a HTC and should have stayed with them. I am definitively sending Samsung this thread and looking for others. You would think after their note troubles they would start handling their customers better.

furiousgeordie

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Exactly the same thing has happened to me in November phone still not fixed and exactly the same response from Samsung now trying citizens advice consumer helpline.

I placed my S7 Edge on Samsung wireless fast charge dock the phone was fine went and made a coffee no one else in the house cam back 5 mins later picked phone up and had what appear to be to centres of impact at the edge of the phone and cracks across the screen. went to Samsung shop was told i was lying and trying to pull a fast one and that i had dropped it or hit it.

i then sent the phone off to samsung and got told the same thing.

i have now had legal advice and after seeing how many people this has happened to i am going to use every channel available to help start a total recall of all Samsung s7 phones. i read one woman cut her hand on the cracked screen they are dangerous to.