Why A Glass Back?

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've never understood why some manufacturers design phones with glass back panels. I owned a Sony a couple years ago and it made me nervous to use the thing because there were no protective cases available for it at the time. Now I have this S7 which I like a lot, it's a very capable device, but Is there some functional reason for constructing it with a glass back panel? I keep my phone in a two tough, two piece case only taking it out to pop it into my Gear VR once in a while. Reading some posts on this forum describing how easily cracks form cause me concern. My OCD wouldn't tolerate living with a cracked phone even if it's on the back.:eek:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mainly because people kept complaining about the "cheap plastic feel" of older models so they decided to change it up.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Mainly because people kept complaining about the "cheap plastic feel" of older models so they decided to change it up.

I'll admit that, in the past, I rejected Samsung phones mainly because of their choice of materials even though I preferred a removable battery and SD card support. Then they started using better materials but took away those other things. I relented with the S7 since batteries have gotten better and they put the SD cards back in. I just think something like an aluminum back would have made the phone less susceptible to damage. Would that have impaired reception?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit that, in the past, I rejected Samsung phones mainly because of their choice of materials even though I preferred a removable battery and SD card support. Then they started using better materials but took away those other things. I relented with the S7 since batteries have gotten better and they put the SD cards back in. I just think something like an aluminum back would have made the phone less susceptible to damage. Would that have impaired reception?

They probably wanted to have their own design. They couldn't do plastic due to complaints, they didn't want to go all metal or something like the HTC phones, and probably didn't want to mimic iPhone or that is all they would hear ... so they decided to use glass.

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Also a glass back will not get as hot during heavy phone use or wireless charging and will allow better communication with NFC

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
The glass back does make it look more premium and feel like quality than a plastic back however OMG the fingerprints drive me insaaane !!!

I'm also OCD and I end up cleaning it constantly with whoosh and a fine cloth. It's an endless battle that I've simply accepted !?!?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, you can't do wireless charging with metal. So glass was the only other premium option.

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As been said, it's because of wireless charging. They didn't do plastic because of complaints. If they did aluminum they can't have wireless charging. Do you know what happens if you put a tin foil in a microwave? Thats what the inside of your phone will look like if you put an aluminum phone on a wireless charger.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Because it's pretty...until you touch it and get finger prints all over it or until you drop it and the screen cracks or the body chips or dents. I would have loved to have seen this phone with the patterned shimmery back like the S5. That would have been tough AND pretty in a shimmery gold color :)

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It looks great in press photos? I put a slim case on it immediately. Also I'd like to add to the title of the thread, "and Why the slightly curved screen making screen protectors useless?"

Make it so.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Before buying my S7, I read a post where a guy said he walked out of the store with his shiny new Galaxy S7, it slipped out of his hand and he dropped it on the parking lot and shattered the back of the phone. I purchased a rubbery case at the same time I bought my S7 and it's been on the phone ever since. I can't imagine anyone would feel comfortable using this phone naked. Never had any phone that didn't wear a case; HTC One, LG G3, others. So quoting some politician, "What difference does it make?" Glass, aluminum, plastic; the phone needs a case.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They wanted to build a phone with materials that are perceived to be more "premium". Arguments about soft-touch plastic being a "premium" material can be made later (although I do agree with that).

They could go with metal, but they wanted wireless charging, which doesn't work on metal backs (unless someone finally adopts that Qualcomm tech), so they went with glass.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech has a great article about phone material choices. Going by what was listed there, I can guess that Samsung chose glass because it is more "premium" than plastic and dissipates heat faster than plastic as well. Glass doesn't mess with the radio signal like metal does, and it allows them to have wireless charging and NFC under the back cover, without a separate panel like the Nexus 6P does. Disadvantages include glass's fragility, but maybe Samsung figured people would buy a case if they were worried about that.

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I've got an s6 edge, and I do love the feel of the glass. I don't know own if they used a special coating, but it feels smooth as silk in hand.

But the problem I have with it is the fact it is too slippery. I've broken 5 chargers the last few months, including one yesterday because of setting it down on table tops, and on my bed, only for it to fall due to slippage and the weight yanked the wiring out of its encasing and bent the metal end big time. I should probably be more careful with how I lay it down, but it still irks me. I really need to get a case or a skin for it to mitigate this issue to some degree, but at the same time I hate having to do that because I love the way it looks, especially when light catches it just right. But alas, I suppose it's better to hide the looks for safety reasons.

Such is the tradeoff of a glass back I suppose. I have seen some skins that look quite attractive, but they don't look as good as the original color, which in my case is black sapphire .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc