Unlocked S7 SM-G930U updates

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was checking manually if there are any updates on my new unlocked S7 model since is it is still in May security updates. When doing so in the notification tray I saw checking T-Mobile update service which is weird. Does that mean it's checking the T-Mobile servers to see any updates for G930U model? That would be weird. I'm planning to remove my sim later and check for updates while only connected to WiFi to see where it checks for updates and if it makes any difference.

37e555fc78fee59a267a2e8be4a796d7.jpg

Edit:

Even without T-Mobile sim still saying T-Mobile update service. Weird.

8ec6da8abf26b237a40761394e5f1a10.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I told in my post this is the unlocked US model which Samsung is selling SM-G930U. Not the carrier branded device which is sim unlocked.
The TMobile SIM might be thinking it's a TMobile unit. Follow the above advice to try looking at SmartSwitch for PC to update.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The TMobile SIM might be thinking it's a TMobile unit. Follow the above advice to try looking at SmartSwitch for PC to update.

I mentioned I tried without the sim as well but still same. Smart switch no update and probably Samsung hasn't pushed any updates including security updates for the unlocked model yet. But was interesting to see with or without sim it says T-Mobile update service.

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
When you connected it to T-Mobile's network it probably installed some T-Mobile software and this may be intercepting the update request.

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Goto sammobile website and see the latest firmware for your model.

Did you buy that direct from samsung or amazon?

I have the international version and its sitting at july patch.

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Goto sammobile website and see the latest firmware for your model.

Did you buy that direct from samsung or amazon?

I have the international version and its sitting at july patch.

We are talking about US unlocked model which hasn't received any update and sitting on May security patch. Also, SamMobile or any where else doesn't have because Samsung hasn't pushed anything for the G930U/G935U model till date.

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
We are talking about US unlocked model which hasn't received any update and sitting on May security patch. Also, SamMobile or any where else doesn't have because Samsung hasn't pushed anything for the G930U/G935U model till date.

I've read somewhere that the US unlocked version wasn't as fast in updates compare to International version.
What I also saw one time was a G930U model that was t-mobile version. I'm looking for that article.

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
It's all same and yes nothing there as well. It'll be there on smart switch only if Samsung has pushed the update from their servers.

The reason I mentioned sammobile is to reference check what they have listed as the latest firmware for the model the user has.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It's all same and yes nothing there as well. It'll be there on smart switch only if Samsung has pushed the update from their servers.

This is me guessing, but it makes me wonder if Samsung setup the same deal with the Carriers that Google did with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 had a deal setup to where the phone would associate itself with a carrier depending on what sim was inserted during first boot. This association remained even if you removed the sim and rebooted. The only way to get rid of the association was to factory reset the phone without the sim installed.

This association allowed the carriers to approve updates for Nexus 6's on their network regardless of where you even purchased them. This irritates the mess out of me.

This will means I will not get Nougat on my Nexus 6 until at&t approves the OTA from google. I'm not going to wait though. There is a workaround from google. I'll just sideload the OTA myself.

Anyeays, this is me wondering because it shows it checking with t-mobile. I'm also not suggesting a factory reset because I doubt Samsung has pushed an OTA.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is me guessing, but it makes me wonder if Samsung setup the same deal with the Carriers that Google did with the Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 had a deal setup to where the phone would associate itself with a carrier depending on what sim was inserted during first boot. This association remained even if you removed the sim and rebooted. The only way to get rid of the association was to factory reset the phone without the sim installed.

This association allowed the carriers to approve updates for Nexus 6's on their network regardless of where you even purchased them. This irritates the mess out of me.

This will means I will not get Nougat on my Nexus 6 until at&t approves the OTA from google. I'm not going to wait though. There is a workaround from google. I'll just sideload the OTA myself.

Anyeays, this is me wondering because it shows it checking with t-mobile. I'm also not suggesting a factory reset because I doubt Samsung has pushed an OTA.
But T-Mobile model is already on July security updates. If T-Mobile or the corresponding carrier has to approve security or OS updates that's just stupid and no point buying the U model instead of the carrier model. I don't think that is the case, if it is then that's just plain stupid. Carriers aren't going to spend one minute of their time testing/approving unlocked model which they don't sell. It's hard to get them approve the phones they sell and no way in the world they will approve phones they don't sell thru their channel.

My guess is Samsung just being lazy not bothering since the number of people who bought the unlocked model is very low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz