I want GPS only location method, but it keeps reverting back to all methods.

slim6y

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I want just GPS location method on, but each time I restart location all forms of location are back on. How do I get Marshmallow to remember my preference of GPS only?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I also noticed this issue some months ago. By default, the setting was "GPS only", but then I think I kept getting a pop-up which asked if I wanted to make it "GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks". Eventually I just allowed that to stop getting this pop-up reminder. And since then, it defaults to "GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks".

I remember doing some brief research and came to the conclusion that "GPS only" tends to use more battery life compared to the other settings. So I decided to be content with the new default setting.

Any reason why you want to use "GPS only"?

The only way I can think of to revert to "GPS only" as the default setting is a factory reset! Surely there must be another way though.

slim6y

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
It was for the battery life actually. When you're in the wild (outside of WiFi and networks) (as I am frequently) you don't want the phone to waste battery looking for WiFi and networks. GPS only is not as accurate, granted, but accurate enough for when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Around home, I guess it is ok to just use all three methods, but if you want to save battery in the wild, the one GPS method is all you should use.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
It was for the battery life actually. When you're in the wild (outside of WiFi and networks) (as I am frequently) you don't want the phone to waste battery looking for WiFi and networks. GPS only is not as accurate, granted, but accurate enough for when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Around home, I guess it is ok to just use all three methods, but if you want to save battery in the wild, the one GPS method is all you should use.

Interesting point. I guess that makes sense.

I also agree that the behaviour of the Location app is sub-optimal - it should really remember your last setting, and not revert back to "GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks" by default. I suspect a software update will be required to "fix" this issue, but unfortunately I doubt this will be very high priority on Samsung's or Google's list.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, hence the "or Google's list".

In the mean time, unless someone discovers a solution, you've only got two options:
1. Leave Location enabled all the time. This will avoid the setting defaulting to "GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks" if you disabled/enabled Location.
2. Manually select "GPS only" each time you disable/enable Location.

Both options are not very satisfactory, but I guess that's the way it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34