Marshmallow 6.0.1. I use Hangouts for work I missed 11 text messages because my phone is not giving me a notification sound. From within Hangouts the Sound is set to Default hangouts message. What am I missing, is there a setting somewhere else I need to look at so I get Hangout notification sounds?
    08-02-2016 10:41 AM
    Are other notification tones working on other apps? If you go into the Hangouts settings and select a different tone, does it play a sample for you?
    08-02-2016 11:28 AM
    Are other notification tones working on other apps? If you go into the Hangouts settings and select a different tone, does it play a sample for you?
    I get a Facebook sound and LED notification, I can select any sound within Hangouts and hear the sample sound, but no sound when sent a hangout message.
    08-02-2016 11:44 AM
    Ok, and notifications aren't turned off for that particular Hangouts conversation, correct?

Also, is this only when you have Hangouts open to that conversation, or even when you're on the homescreen?
    08-02-2016 11:47 AM
    OY, it's intermittent, I hate intermittent problems. I just got the correct default Hangouts sound and blue LED, but I did not get any notification from the same person for the prevoius three messages spread out over the last 1/2 hour.
    08-02-2016 11:59 AM
    Ok, and notifications aren't turned off for that particular Hangouts conversation, correct?

Also, is this only when you have Hangouts open to that conversation, or even when you're on the homescreen?
    Notifications for this conversation are turned on, does not matter if I have the conversation open or when I'm on my home screen, no notification.
    08-02-2016 12:04 PM
    Does it seem to get better temporarily after a reboot? I've had this happen before on my Nexus 6P.
    08-02-2016 12:57 PM
    No it did not help. We use Google for everything, if I do a hard reset and setup the phone again using my Google account will I be reinstalling the same problem or will a hard reset using my goggle account be a clean Google install?
    08-02-2016 01:26 PM
    I don't think you have to go as far as a factory reset yet. Have you already tried uninstalling Hangouts, then reinstalling? (Or, if it was preinstalled, uninstall updates, then re-update.)

Also, are you using the preinstalled notifcation tones, or custom tones?
    08-02-2016 01:41 PM
    It's a Sprint phone, I don't remember if it was preinstalled or not. My options were Uninstall and Update which I just did, there was no reinstall option. I am using the preinstalled Hangouts default notification. I did download the Samsung Whistle sound but I am not using it.
    08-02-2016 04:07 PM
    Sorry, not sure what to suggest next. Send Google feedback about this within the Hangouts app settings, and then see if the problem persists after the next app update.
    08-02-2016 04:55 PM
    OK, thank you for your help, may just do a hard reset and see what happens.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    08-03-2016 11:42 AM
    Well it's been weeks. How did it go?
    08-24-2016 12:17 PM
    First I tried seeing what Samsung support would suggest but they kept suggesting things I had already told them I had done. I did a hard reset last weekend I'm getting all my noitifications via sound, LED and notfiication now.
    08-25-2016 01:15 PM
    ... Or, if it was preinstalled, uninstall updates, then re-update....
    Had the same problem: no notifications on Hangouts, except when the app was open and the specific contact thread active. Uninstall updates did the job for me. Then I re-updated Hangouts and all still works fine. Thanx for your solution!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-08-2016 01:11 PM
    I've had notification sounds fail when receiving texts. Turning them off and on again fixes it temporarily, but I can't rely on the phone letting me know when I get a message....irritating.
    10-09-2016 10:21 AM