Can someone tell me how a Samsung S7 user got my full legal name w/o me telling them?

SackHarry

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, just a quick concern I have. this is sort of confusing so pls try to understand. I was speaking with someone I met on a site, and during texting back and forth she told me that there is some type of pop up that keeps popping up in the text message window on her s7 with my full legal name at the bottom. I did not send her my first name nor last name, and she sent me a screenshot of it and voila, there my full legal name is letter for letter...wtf?, I gave her my nickname only, and my caller ID is my phone number and does not contain my name. i dont have any social media either.. so how did the s7 pull this?

i dont even use a samsung. i use a blackberry so its even weirder.

I am now sort of concerned at how a samsung s7 was able to grab or pick up my full legal name? and how can i prevent this from happening again...?
i read online that s7 pulls info from whitepages, so not sure if this has something to do with it. even when i check white pages it just lists "<carrier name> subscriber"for my number.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There is a setting in there somewhere about sharing contact data on your S7 to people you are communicating with. Forgot where it is. Forgot it after I turned it off.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well you are in the S7 users' forum, so I assumed you had one. In any case, an S7 cannot get your data unless you have it somewhere for thr S7 to pull it from.

Lee Pitts

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Your mobile number must be registered on an online directory. My S7 is always telling me who is calling or texting even before I know them!

Posted via the Android Central App

SackHarry

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
i have checked though online directories i cant find it.
when i check it just says _____ wireless subscriber

it doesnt say my name. and this is not a black berry setting, it is only on the new S7 this has happened. i am pretty angry and pissed off that the samsung s7 was somehow able to pull my full legal name letter for letter and show it to someone without my permission, and i want to know how to prevent this from ever happening

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well point still stands that the S7 needed to pull it off from somewhere. Facebook can sync contacts. If your phone number is public on Facebook, there's a possibility it could have been pulled from there if the receiver has Sync.Me on her phone. Google also is integrated on the phone and if you have a public Google profile (G+), data can come from there. Basically, it's up there somewhere accessible on the web.

SackHarry

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Well point still stands that the S7 needed to pull it off from somewhere. Facebook can sync contacts. If your phone number is public on Facebook, there's a possibility it could have been pulled from there if the receiver has Sync.Me on her phone. Google also is integrated on the phone and if you have a public Google profile (G+), data can come from there. Basically, it's up there somewhere accessible on the web.

i don't have a facebook, or any social media, and the ones i do i dont use my real name. thats what im trying to figure out is where it pulled it from... you gu;ys think i should sue samsung over this?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
i don't have a facebook, or any social media, and the ones i do i dont use my real name. thats what im trying to figure out is where it pulled it from... you gu;ys think i should sue samsung over this?
Nope. You've got nothing to sue them over. They'll just respond with the same message I gave you. The details would have had to come from somewhere, and it would have been you who put it there. Samsung gets details about people from openly available sources like Google or Whitepages. If anything I'd sue Blackberry since that's what you use and would have been the source of the leak if there was any that made it openly available to Samsung. The S7 here is simply a recipient of the info made available. There is no way for the phone to delve into your own device or details over the air by just sending messages to it.

I'd be more concerned of what did you use to message this recipient of yours. Did you use an app? For example, a chat app may be delving into your phone and getting your details and sending it along with your messages to the receiving S7. If that was so, then it's an issue with the app, and would happen whatever model or brand the receiver would be using. He could be using a Lumia and it would still happen if it was the fault of the chat app/service.

felyke

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T users have premium Caller ID. If you call me and I'm paying for the service I can see your name. At least this is my experience with a friend that has an AT&T Galaxy S7.

Posted via the Android Central App

SackHarry

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Nope. You've got nothing to sue them over. They'll just respond with the same message I gave you. The details would have had to come from somewhere, and it would have been you who put it there. Samsung gets details about people from openly available sources like Google or Whitepages. If anything I'd sue Blackberry since that's what you use and would have been the source of the leak if there was any that made it openly available to Samsung. The S7 here is simply a recipient of the info made available. There is no way for the phone to delve into your own device or details over the air by just sending messages to it.

I'd be more concerned of what did you use to message this recipient of yours. Did you use an app? For example, a chat app may be delving into your phone and getting your details and sending it along with your messages to the receiving S7. If that was so, then it's an issue with the app, and would happen whatever model or brand the receiver would be using. He could be using a Lumia and it would still happen if it was the fault of the chat app/service.

wasn't using an app. was using regular text msgs on a blackberry classic.