08-12-2016 06:49 PM
32 12
tools
    Whew, after many years on BB devices, I think I finally made the leap.

Picked up an S7 yesterday and it's sure is nice having a native Android OS to download Android apps to. And the Snapdragon 820 chipset sure is lightening fast!. Never seen an app install so quickly.

While there's some things about BB10 OS that I still like, I did get the BB Hub app which isn't perfect, but is a nice addition for my "transition" to the dark side. . It was amazing on the BB.

Battery life isn't as good as I was hoping for, but I did download some battery save apps to see if they will help since there's quite a few pre-loaded apps using bandwidth and battery life. I'll have to see if these help, but in my first pass, one app found 57 apps to turn off. Geez!

Since I'm a newbe, are there any "must have" apps that you guys recommend? Also, do you recommend the dBrand skins to help provide more grip with this device?

I still am confuse swiping from pane to pane to see/access my apps. I can't always find what I'm looking for, yet I haven't loaded many apps. I get what I describe as erratic views of my apps when going from locked to unlocked states and then navigating around. I'm also trying to get used to open and closed apps and how do this efficiently on the Android/S7 combo. It's quite a bit different and actually less tedious on my BB devices, probably due to my familiarity.

Well, don't hate me for coming over to the dark side! ...If anyone is interested in my comparison analysis let me know.

Cheers!
    theonecid likes this.
    08-04-2016 10:31 PM
    Remove the battery saver apps. None of them work and actually decrease your battery life. How are you not happy with the battery life? What are you getting and what were you expecting?
    08-05-2016 01:17 AM
    Picked up an S7 yesterday ....!
    You can't judge battery life during the first few days you own the device, with all the downloading of apps, upgrades, familiarizing yourself with the software, etc. Wait until you get into a more normal routine of usage
    08-05-2016 04:29 AM
    Yeah. I download the Hub on this phone and it is amazing. Not a big BlackBerry user but found the Unified inbox and keyboard to be too notch. I ordered the Dbrand back leather protector that will help with the grip. Welcome to S7.

Curious on why you didn't go with the Priv?
    08-05-2016 07:53 AM
    Spend some time on YouTube 'Galaxy S7' and google 'tips and tricks.' You'll have a good grasp after doing so.
    08-05-2016 08:15 AM
    I'm a convert from BB as well, I recognize you from CB. Not going back You made a good decision as the S7 rocks!
    08-05-2016 08:54 AM
    Remove the battery saver apps. None of them work and actually decrease your battery life. How are you not happy with the battery life? What are you getting and what were you expecting?
    Ok, I'll look into this. Thx.

Again, coming from a BB Z30...Battery life is quite a bit better and last all day easily so this is my immediate point of comparison. Judging by by all the Samsung battery posts, I'm assuming that I'm not alone. I turned on my s7 this morning and watched it loose 2 % battery life just staring at the screen.
    08-05-2016 12:52 PM
    You can't judge battery life during the first few days you own the device, with all the downloading of apps, upgrades, familiarizing yourself with the software, etc. Wait until you get into a more normal routine of usage
    Makes sense....Will do.
    08-05-2016 12:52 PM
    Yeah. I download the Hub on this phone and it is amazing. Not a big BlackBerry user but found the Unified inbox and keyboard to be too notch. I ordered the Dbrand back leather protector that will help with the grip. Welcome to S7.

BB Hub is really good on BB devices, but glad to have it on Android too. I'm not seeing number of new messages in the hub icon however.

As for the PRIV, I wasn't interested in a 9 inch tall slide phone. ...Seriously.

However, I WAS interested in the new DTEK50...But the new devise is available on Verizon. The specs are good enough for my needs and the devise size is about perfect for me. I don't want to carry around a phablet. 5.0-5.3 inch screens are about perfect for my hands. Any larger and it's just too big for my pocket and to navigate with one hand.
    08-05-2016 12:58 PM
    I'm a convert from BB as well, I recognize you from CB. Not going back You made a good decision as the S7 rocks!
    Cool....I would have stayed if Chen knew how to develop, release and support a good Andriod device that actually works with my carrier...Is that so much to ask?

I'm finding some really cool features/functions with this new Android OS! The Widgets are cool.
    08-05-2016 01:02 PM
    I'm a traitor also. I was going to get the Priv but verizon wouldn't budge on the price. With the higher trade in rate for the s7 and lower initial cost, I didn't hesitate. I came from a Z10 so the battery life is great. I still find myself trying to swipe everywhere on the phone. I'm using Apex Launcher Pro and I have easy access to the hub and creating emails. I love having Knox free to

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-05-2016 08:23 PM
    I have s7 int version. Im also picking up the new dtek50. Still love BlackBerry stuff.

08-05-2016 09:56 PM
    I have s7 int version. Im also picking up the new dtek50. Still love BlackBerry stuff.

Interested in hearing your feedback comparing the dtek with your s7. My assumption is the processing will be a little slower, but I bet the dtek feels better holding. Otherwise the OS is the same.
    08-05-2016 10:34 PM
    I doubt DTEK50 will ever beat s7 in speed performance wise. I'm expecting the DTEK50 atleast won't have any lag. I also wanted to check out DTEK security app. I'm not planning to get anycase w/ dtek also since the back will have a good grip.

As far as OS yes it's the same. But more interested in security features it offers.
    Can't knock what I've never use right.
    08-06-2016 02:25 PM
    I doubt DTEK50 will ever beat s7 in speed performance wise. I'm expecting the DTEK50 atleast won't have any lag. I also wanted to check out DTEK security app. I'm not planning to get anycase w/ dtek also since the back will have a good grip.

As far as OS yes it's the same. But more interested in security features it offers.
    Can't knock what I've never use right.
    More secure in that it uses encryption. Any form of encryption will affect performance. Always!
    08-06-2016 06:35 PM
    More secure in that it uses encryption. Any form of encryption will affect performance. Always!
    Agreed. Still interesting to know how blackberry tweak software/hardware to work as one

08-08-2016 03:33 AM
    Battery saving apps are the biggest battery drain other then GPS

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android
    08-08-2016 10:30 AM
    BTW you can now buy Blackberry hub and password keeper and soon virtual keyboard for any andriod.

99 cent a month subscription

08-08-2016 10:32 AM

How'd you get the Blackberry Keyboard? I installed hub on my S7 but can't find the BB keyboard
    08-08-2016 08:32 PM
    BTW you can now buy Blackberry hub and password keeper and soon virtual keyboard for any andriod.

Blackberry keyboard, passowrd keeper and dtek app are not included. There are no indication they will be part of the suite sooner.

08-09-2016 03:36 AM
    How'd you get the Blackberry Keyboard? I installed hub on my S7 but can't find the BB keyboard
    You have to get BlackBerry Manager https://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/
    and download it in there.
    08-09-2016 08:50 AM
    Keyboard is coming

Soon just wait. I got inside tip

08-09-2016 12:03 PM
    You have to get BlackBerry Manager https://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/
    and download it in there.
    Installed that from Cobalt last night and the keyboard is working great. Be sure to give the keyboard permissions.
    08-09-2016 12:55 PM

I'm not so sure now about BB Hub. I have it installed, but it doesn't update when you open the app and there's no notification apparent (via icon) showing any new emails or text messages. I'm liking MS Outlook and Google calendar, but unfortunately, I can't get text or instagram notifications.

I'm personally not paying BB .99/mth for an app that doesn't meet my needs. Chen sure is obsessed with a recurring revenue model.

I also kinda like the standard email app that came on my device. I think it's a Verizon email app.
    08-09-2016 05:57 PM
    Hub works fine on Blackberry androids weird should be the same

08-10-2016 09:51 AM
32 12