With my S4, it was VERY easy to transfer files off of my phone. I just connected my phone to the USB port on my laptop via the charging cord and, voila! The window opened up where I could view everything on my phone.

With my S7, my computer just gives me the message, "this folder is empty".

How do I get my laptop to recognize the files on my phone and/or get my phone to share them when I connect it to my computer?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    08-05-2016 01:49 PM
    When you connect your phone, there should be a notification on the phone about the connection type. Change it to either file transfer, or MTP... by default, newer phones do not automatically connect and give full access to the file system for security reasons. They require you to unlock the phone and authorize it.
    08-05-2016 02:47 PM
    I saw that someone posted a response that you need to ensure the right transfer protocol and that the phone is unlocked in order to transfer photos to your computer. But I can't figure out how to do that. I've gone through all the Settings options and nothing seems obvious. can someone explain this? It seems like an obvious thing to have in the phone's user manual but I haven't found it there either. Thanks!
    08-06-2016 10:25 AM
    Pull down your notification menu by tapping and holding the screen at the top and then dragging it down. You can do this from almost any open program. You'll see USB Charging. Tap on that and it will open options. Tap on File Transfer or Photo Transfer (Verizon). That's it
    08-06-2016 03:02 PM
    Thanks! That works! I'm just surprised still that there wouldn't be something to alert people as to how to do this, since it's such an obvious thing to need.
    08-07-2016 12:05 PM
    Thanks! That works! I'm just surprised still that there wouldn't be something to alert people as to how to do this, since it's such an obvious thing to need.
    It should be obvious for most people using Android before since that feature of changing USB connection via the notification drawer has been in existence for the past 7 years. You also get an icon on the upper left indicating a USB connection. The manual also states the notification drawer by pulling down on the screen, but then who reads manuals?
    08-08-2016 01:44 AM
    Also here is another way to transfer photos from Samsung Galaxy to a laptop, works fine with Galaxy S7.

youtu.be/9FJzWr4sU9U
    01-20-2019 09:15 PM