WYSIWYG SMS characters question. Is it chomp SMS or Contacts in S7 doing this?

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I sent the following message to chomp SMS help but trying here too.

This isn't really a bug or problem but it is a flaw for me. The thing is, I don't even know if it is controlled by chomp SMS. It may be something in Contacts in my Galaxy S7.

It drives me crazy when I try to send a phone number in DIGITS to someone in a text but it is automatically translated to a clickable contact link. I try putting dots between each character and even that doesn't always work.

Is there any way to make it type only what I enter into the keyboard? In case this isn't clear…when I type '615.400.XXXX' I want to see '615.400.XXXX' NOT 'Dave Staats' as a hyperlink. It is maddening and I have looked everywhere I can find for the answer.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does the recipient of the SMS see the same thing? In other words, does the recipient get 615.400.XXXX, or does he get the hyperlink?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When you send the text, what does the other party receive? I don't have Chomp, but I just tested this on Textra and I'm not seeing phone numbers get automatically replaced by contacts.

What I'm wondering is if Chomp is just showing that the number IS a contact on your phone, but will actually just send the number once the text is sent.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's chompSMS. I have it, and it only happens in their app, and it happened on my previous phones I used it on. But no, I don't know how to stop it.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Good point from you and N4... I will need to try it again and ask someone. I assumed they saw what I did but if they see what I typed regardless of what I see then there's no problem. I'll report back when I find out. TY.

When you send the text, what does the other party receive? I don't have Chomp, but I just tested this on Textra and I'm not seeing phone numbers get automatically replaced by contacts.

What I'm wondering is if Chomp is just showing that the number IS a contact on your phone, but will actually just send the number once the text is sent.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. My first test the other guy got the digits I typed but it still changed to contact name on my end. I wish I could turn that off but at least I know they get what I typed. I almost wonder if it may be SwiftKey and not chomp doing it...

Good point from you and N4... I will need to try it again and ask someone. I assumed they saw what I did but if they see what I typed regardless of what I see then there's no problem. I'll report back when I find out. TY.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using SwiftKey as my keyboard and it doesn't do it. Must be a 'feature' of Chomp to automatically recognize contacts in texts.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Jason from chompSMS said this after my prior post. I guess it is a non-issue since the other end sees the numbers. I just wish I could turn it off.

I'm using SwiftKey as my keyboard and it doesn't do it. Must be a 'feature' of Chomp to automatically recognize contacts in texts.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you've contacted Chomp's dev, but it wouldn't hurt to 'remind' them through social media, perhaps? Or if they have a suggestions/bug report forum, just chime in there, I'm sure there are other users who'd love to have that feature removed or having a way to disable it.