S7 battery is trash. Why?

A

AC Question

I've tried so many suggestions from power saving, app deleting, etc, etc, etc. Nothing seems to make a real difference and I've seen many posts from folks suffering from the same crazy situation I have. My 2 year old iPhone 6 battery life was far superior, and I didn't have to do any of these crazy things that don't seem to make the proper dent.

While I could easily go back to my old iPhone, I simply cannot abandon this phone's amazing camera. Is there a bona fide fix for this crazy battery situation?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I apologise for not answering your question, but at the moment my iPhone 5s is giving remarkably poor battery life, for the last month or two. I've no idea why. It used to be excellent. So these things are not limited to Androids.

I'll request that your thread be moved to the S7 forum, where other users may be able to suggest.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've tried so many suggestions from power saving, app deleting, etc, etc, etc. Nothing seems to make a real difference and I've seen many posts from folks suffering from the same crazy situation I have. My 2 year old iPhone 6 battery life was far superior, and I didn't have to do any of these crazy things that don't seem to make the proper dent.

While I could easily go back to my old iPhone, I simply cannot abandon this phone's amazing camera. Is there a bona fide fix for this crazy battery situation?

What's eating your battery?

gobige7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
16% android system.
14% e-mail
13% ibotta (app used earlier for shopping)
12% android os
10% google services
7% screen
7% voice calls
5% cell standby
4% google app
3% life360
2% bluetooth
2% the weather channel

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear, I know some don't have that, but I do, every Android phone, from Note II (battery bulg repeatedly) thru s5 and BB priv and now s7. 10% per hour when in use.
Two iPhones , 5s and 6s plus, same type of use, very lite impact on battery, 5% or less per hiur.

Matt724

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
If you don't need it, try changing your email from instant push to say check every 30 minutes. I've no idea how your screen is 7% mine is always at least 30% and I have the brightness around 30-40%. But my battery lasts me from around 8am-11pm (usually has around 30-40% around then).

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
16% android system.
14% e-mail
13% ibotta (app used earlier for shopping)
12% android os
10% google services
7% screen
7% voice calls
5% cell standby
4% google app
3% life360
2% bluetooth
2% the weather channel

Do you get a good signal on your phone? That'll burn your battery. Also do you have Wi-Fi enabled?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded fro an S6 to the S7 and my battery life has improved immensely. The battery settings predicts a 23 hour life on a single charge for me. I've noticed that I still have plenty of battery life at the end of my work day. Because of the great battery life, I didn't have to resort to your typical battery saving tips other than turn off Google location tracking and my Wi-Fi when I'm out of the home. I've left every thing else (e.g., GPS) turned on all the time.

I also don't have any data polling apps like Facebook installed. For your case, I would guess you have some 3rd party app installed and running amuck, or you're in a weak cell tower area, or maybe your battery is defective.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You really can't compare an iPhone battery to an Android phone battery. Android allows for many things to be running in the background that iPhone just doesn't allow. Tweaking for your use is a necessity.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
You really can't compare an iPhone battery to an Android phone battery. Android allows for many things to be running in the background that iPhone just doesn't allow. Tweaking for your use is a necessity.

I agree but it's hard to get people to understand that. They're used to using the phone right out of the box without any user setup

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
My battery life is pretty bad as well. I'm getting a drain of 7-12% per hour almost regardless of how much I use it. If I do a video call or watch Netflix, it goes as high as 20% drain per hour. It's pretty upsetting considering this thing has a 3000mah battery and it used to be under 5% per hour for the first couple of weeks I had the phone (and no, I haven't added any new apps that are consuming battery). I've been thinking about doing a complete reset, and setting the phone back up again, but that's very time consuming and shouldn't be expected from the user. I think it's just Android and these phones need 4000mah batteries to last all day.

gobige7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
My battery life is pretty bad as well. I'm getting a drain of 7-12% per hour almost regardless of how much I use it. If I do a video call or watch Netflix, it goes as high as 20% drain per hour. It's pretty upsetting considering this thing has a 3000mah battery and it used to be under 5% per hour for the first couple of weeks I had the phone (and no, I haven't added any new apps that are consuming battery). I've been thinking about doing a complete reset, and setting the phone back up again, but that's very time consuming and shouldn't be expected from the user. I think it's just Android and these phones need 4000mah batteries to last all day.

I've removed Facebook and enabled power saving on all apps. I still lose 10% minimum per hour, and it's brutal for me as I travel often and am using my portable battery so much more on my new phone than my 2 year old phone (even though I use it in the same fashion).

WexIan

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I went back to a S7 recently from a HTC M9 and am delighted with it.
At first the battery life was poor but I did a Hard Reset and battery life is much improved.
I am running Nova Launcher, Package Disabler Pro to clean out all the unwanted junk and bloatware also have Power Saving Mode enabled.
I am a reasonable user of Data during the day for emails and web browsing.
I charge my phone in the evening and going to bed around 11.30 pm have 98% battery showing, at 8am 94% and now at 17.00 pm 60% showing.

kelela92

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I try to make sure this isn't a reason, so I post this when I see battery questions.

Are you using the stock charger and are you charging to 100% (at least some of the time)? My phone was draining really fast, 100-0 in about 6 hours. I learned that it was my wireless charging pad that was causing the issue. If I charged it to anything below 100%, it would drain fast. But charged it to 100% and it would last like "normal" (8am - 11pm). This was a good wireless charger too and it worked great with my S5. But something about the S7 battery didn't like it. It makes me wonder how many battery issues are caused by chargers.

Just throwing it out there since I was shocked that was the cause of my fast drainage (and I figured it out when I got a replacement phone and after multiple factory resets on both phones - never fun).

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
USB a/c adapters vary and non of my seemingly good ones from Apple 6S+ and iPad work. To credit if S7 and Sammy I would get battery not charming properly notifications.

With ios and iPhone I found an excellent battery app that would report on health and actual charge, t h at helped isolate cables, adapters even a bad Anker 5 port charger which caused over heating and other issues.

gobige7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Do you get a good signal on your phone? That'll burn your battery. Also do you have Wi-Fi enabled?

Update: good tips for my S7 situation. Enabling WiFi significantly has slowed my battery drain. I really prefer Sprint's signal traditionally, because it's a very strong LTE signal that's more reliable than WiFi. However, that could've been a huge factor (?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781