quick answer about fast charger please

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Ok so my car has decided to destroy my last fast charger cable. I don't think its going to be a problem. But the guy at best buy (before anyone says he just wants a bigger sale. He has been my go to guy for the past 3 years and has pointed me to many cheaper products that will do what I'm looking for jusy fine.)

Said I should avoid using a NON-suplied cable with fast charging.

Is he full of **** on this one or is he right.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
He's sort of right. If the cable comes from a reputable source, it shouldn't be a problem, but if it's a cheaper brand, you need to look closely at the cable rating to make sure it can stand the faster throughput and additional heat dissipation. Also, very long cables will most likely NOT work with fast charging, so keep that in mind (it would charge, but your charger wouldn't 'detect' the fast-charging-enabled device and go ahead and switch to 'standard' mode).

When it comes to USB-C, unfortunately, it's more true (what your BB rep said) because of how manufacturers are still coping with a new standard and coming with compatible cables for all.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
He's sort of right. If the cable comes from a reputable source, it shouldn't be a problem, but if it's a cheaper brand, you need to look closely at the cable rating to make sure it can stand the faster throughput and additional heat dissipation. Also, very long cables will most likely NOT work with fast charging, so keep that in mind (it would charge, but your charger wouldn't 'detect' the fast-charging-enabled device and go ahead and switch to 'standard' mode).

When it comes to USB-C, unfortunately, it's more true (what your BB rep said) because of how manufacturers are still coping with a new standard and coming with compatible cables for all.

Ok cool thanks. I was thinking the insignia brand cause it's never let me down before. (Hell I had an insignia chsrger outlast my iPhone cable before. ) I do have one that's working but it's got a thick end so it won't work with my new case sadly so need to find a slimmer plug.

Thanks mate

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used Insignia cables with fast charging on an S7 Edge, so I can confirm those work (at least the standard length ones). I haven't tried using those with the USB-C adapter, though, but for the S7 that shouldn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret