Price drop on S7 in October?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Could we see a price drop in October on the S7/S7 Edge to boost sales?

Perhaps Samsung could drop the price after the Google Pixel is announced to sway consumers. Also, a pickup of sales would only help lessen the sting of the Note 7 recall.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Would think they may would drop the base S7 to the $649 to match the iphone 7. Other than that, if I were in Samsungs position of needing to sell both new inventory & refurbs? I would do a major black friday/cyber Mon sale though every viable outlet. People are expecting deals at that time anyway & that would not drop the overall value of the brand long term. If they start selling new S7's for say $550, it will be a large price increase perception wise to the S8 if it sticks close to the current $700 range.

From my point of view however, they should start selling them at $400. ;)

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Could we see a price drop in October on the S7/S7 Edge to boost sales?

Perhaps Samsung could drop the price after the Google Pixel is announced to sway consumers. Also, a pickup of sales would only help lessen the sting of the Note 7 recall.

Try looking at Swappa.com. Reputable site with great prices. Phones can go fast. Sign up for mobile notifications of 'new' offers.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Try looking at Swappa.com. Reputable site with great prices. Phones can go fast. Sign up for mobile notifications of 'new' offers.

I concur. I watch Swappa a lot, and I've bought and sold there. There are usually good deals to be had on Swappa. Devices move quickly, especially if the prices are reasonable. Awhile ago I sold a phone a couple hours after listing it. Kinda made me think I had priced it too low! ;) But I was pleased, and I'm guessing the buyer was pleased too!

Buying from eBay is more of a crapshoot. Craigslist can be iffy as well. With Swappa, the seller is regulated. The IMEI of the device is verified. I haven't had to use Swappa's customer service, but you might get some help if necessary.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Would think they may would drop the base S7 to the $649 to match the iphone 7. Other than that, if I were in Samsungs position of needing to sell both new inventory & refurbs? I would do a major black friday/cyber Mon sale though every viable outlet. People are expecting deals at that time anyway & that would not drop the overall value of the brand long term. If they start selling new S7's for say $550, it will be a large price increase perception wise to the S8 if it sticks close to the current $700 range.

From my point of view however, they should start selling them at $400. ;)

There's such a huge difference between a new retail S7 ($694) and a very good condition S7 ($440) on Swappa. It's a depreciation of $254 for minor surface wear. It's amazing that the S6 hasn't hit the 2 year old mark, but is selling for $220. New tech commands a premium, but it depreciates faster than ever. Will the S7 be $200 this time next year?

Slap on some type of protection plan to a premium device and people can end up paying $900+ for a device that is supported for 2 years. With preowned prices coming down, what's the point of someone even entertaining a J3 or midrange device at $269?

Its the year of $400 midrange phones. Samsung could definitely do something about that by selling the S7 between $400-$500.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
There's such a huge difference between a new retail S7 ($694) and a very good condition S7 ($440) on Swappa. It's a depreciation of $254 for minor surface wear. It's amazing that the S6 hasn't hit the 2 year old mark, but is selling for $220. New tech commands a premium, but it depreciates faster than ever. Will the S7 be $200 this time next year?

Slap on some type of protection plan to a premium device and people can end up paying $900+ for a device that is supported for 2 years. With preowned prices coming down, what's the point of someone even entertaining a J3 or midrange device at $269?

Its the year of $400 midrange phones. Samsung could definitely do something about that by selling the S7 between $400-$500.

I think at this point it's all about profit margins for flagship phone from companies. But I agree, anything beyond 500 dollars definitely demands something really worth the price tag and serious consumer thought if its worth it.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Most of us(myself included) are not that tech oriented that if we threw out $400 on a used device that maybe the previous owner beat the blank out of & had every app in the play store down loaded. Did they transfer all of their data to the device when they purchased it or did the do a clean set up? Did their screen have some lines that were maybe sorta fixed at a local shop & they are now offing it? Just thinking worst case scenario.

Am sure most devices are clean & good to go as people frequently upgrade or swap devices. Just know I would be the one to get something that had to be dealt with for weeks on end to get replaced or refunded if I was lucky.

Have read on here that Ebay gets more involved with problem cases more so than Swappa. Have only sold one device & that was a S6 Active. Should not have sold it. But did meet the buyer at the local ATT store so she could take it in store & have any inspections done, run imei numbers, what ever. She just handed me the cash & drove on. Apparently just showing up their with that sort of offer was peace of mind enough for her.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

Most of us(myself included) are not that tech oriented that if we threw out $400 on a used device that maybe the previous owner beat the blank out of & had every app in the play store down loaded. Did they transfer all of their data to the device when they purchased it or did the do a clean set up? Did their screen have some lines that were maybe sorta fixed at a local shop & they are now offing it? Just thinking worst case scenario.

Am sure most devices are clean & good to go as people frequently upgrade or swap devices. Just know I would be the one to get something that had to be dealt with for weeks on end to get replaced or refunded if I was lucky.

Have read on here that Ebay gets more involved with problem cases more so than Swappa. Have only sold one device & that was a S6 Active. Should not have sold it. But did meet the buyer at the local ATT store so she could take it in store & have any inspections done, run imei numbers, what ever. She just handed me the cash & drove on. Apparently just showing up their with that sort of offer was peace of mind enough for her.

You don't have to buy used. Some of the listings are "new resale" devices which are really worth looking into. I do understand your concern though.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you using it on att and if so does it still have video calling and wifi calling?

I have the international s7 on AT&T (originally panama based, but flashed DBT Germany firmware). This gives access to Samsung pay and whitepages except WiFi calling. AMO (spain) firmware includes WiFi calling ability as well (I haven't tried though).

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In the US, I don't think that Samsung will drop the price of the S7 until after the current "Free Gear VR or 256GB memory card" offer expires.
The promotion ends October 9th.

I picked up a new Galaxy S7 on Saturday and applied for the free SD card.
Getting a huge card with the phone is almost as good as a discount.
Looking forward to loading up the card with music.
So far I like the S7.
My previous phones were LG (G2) and HTC (Thunderbolt).

Main reason I got a new phone was that my wife wanted to get a Note 7 this week.
Our previous carrier is currently only giving them to customers that had the recalled one, with no ETA on when they'll sell them again.
Other carriers have been selling Note 7 on a first come first serve basis for several days, so we switched carriers.

Happy wife, happy life.
(She loves the Note 7.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000