Phone is asking to do a system update repeatedly... how do I fix it?

smmarquis

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy s7 on Verizon last weekend. Yesterday, it requested a system update, I complied. Now every time it does a system update, it then immediately says I need to do another one. So I've been in an endless loop of system updates since yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this, too? Any advice?

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy s7 on Verizon last weekend. Yesterday, it requested a system update, I complied. Now every time it does a system update, it then immediately says I need to do another one. So I've been in an endless loop of system updates since yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this, too? Any advice?
I picked up my Verizon s7 about a month ago and did 2 updates at the start. Since then, there has been another update (or 2), so I would expect you would need to do 3 or 4 updates. I don't believe that multiple updates are bundled.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the poster above me. These could be the latest updates that your phone "missed" and needs. Do a couple and see what happens!

pastork

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My S7 did the same thing to me today--three times it told me I needed to do a system update; as soon as one completed, the same screen popped up again upon startup. Finally, after the third time, it told me it was updated, and so far, has not asked me again. Will see if next reboot causes it to repeat. Or maybe it does it in three stages. But it was weird while it lasted. The look of my icons changed with the update, however.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems everyone who picked up an S7 from Verizon lately has had updates available. I recieved mine appropriately 2 weeks ago, not a single update and when I run check for updates, it's tells me that my phone is up to date and no updates available. This is the first phone I recieved that was totally up to date with not a single update missing. Makes me wonder if this wasn't a returned or "refurbished" phone. It's a company phone we have a contract with Verizon, Verizon rep says all our phones are new unless stated otherwise. Mine said new on the order form I recieved, but we have had problem in the past with Verizon sending us actual used phones scratches and all as new.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
old thread, but I'll chime in. My S7 updated to 7.0...wouldn't stop showing a message that it needed to be updated. Only solution for me was a factory reset.

Warmfeet

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Old thread but I just got my S7 and I've had 6 back to back system updates so far, with a 7th currently queued up. None of the responses here dealt with this many. Please GOD help me.

Oggy755

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site

I got a Samsung s6 and I've updated It about 4 times already it just keep going

JackRussell

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I went through this with an S7 the other day - here is a useful tip. If you go into Settings->About Phone->Baseband version, you will see an identifier. My phone is Verizon - the current version for the 04/01 security update should be something like G930VVRS4BRC3.

I had installed several updates yesterday, and thought I was in this endless loop. The updates would succeed, but there always seemed to be another. I finally looked up to see what the current baseband version was, and did a google search. Found this:

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-update/

I found I was on something like the Oct 2017 security patch. So I install one more, and lo and behold, I was now on the Nov security patch. So what is clear is that it is doing the patches one at a time, and they are not cumulative. I kept going, and eventually got to the end, and there were no more updates offered. If I used Settings to check for updates, all I got was a message that "Oreo is coming soon - check back later".

All in all, I think there must have been about a dozen updates.

Poser_party

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
This is super duper helpful, I thought all hope was lost but I did another after looking and seeing October and now it says November. So i got about 6 updates left.