Good Unless you use it

scottwalton

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
The S7 is a good phone I think. I am trying my best to like it. But there are still what ever I do battery issues the second I use the Internet over wifi. The second I do the battery just drops like a stone. I enjoy using the Internet on a phone it's surely one of its main purposes. I don't want to keep getting a laptop out. It's ridiculous. It also sometimes gets crazy hot, then the battery falls down a cliff whilst in my pocket. All I am told is close all you apps turn off location turn off wifi....etc....why? Why should I have to turn everything off all the time. I never had to with my fruit branded phone to get decent battery life. Just so so frustrating the reviews were brilliant. And to be fair when everything works it really does do a good job. But using so much battery on Internet a fundamental part of a smartphone is truly annoying. And no I don't want to go back to the fruit branded phone.
Any tips tricks that don't mean it turns into slim brick would be truly appreciated.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound like a good unit. Battery life on the S7 is not stellar, but it shouldn't be that bad, either. I used the S7 Edge for 6 months and battery life was enough to last me through a full day of moderate/heavy use.

If you can stomach it, I'd try to do a factory reset (a lot easier to do when you can back up the entire phone using SmartSwitch) and see if it improves. If it doesn't, get it exchanged.

Also, you can try booting in Safe Mode and seeing if the unusual battery drop while on WiFi still occurs. If it doesn't, then it's an app you've installed that's acting naughty.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The S7 is a good phone I think. I am trying my best to like it. But there are still what ever I do battery issues the second I use the Internet over wifi. The second I do the battery just drops like a stone. I enjoy using the Internet on a phone it's surely one of its main purposes. I don't want to keep getting a laptop out. It's ridiculous. It also sometimes gets crazy hot, then the battery falls down a cliff whilst in my pocket. All I am told is close all you apps turn off location turn off wifi....etc....why? Why should I have to turn everything off all the time. I never had to with my fruit branded phone to get decent battery life. Just so so frustrating the reviews were brilliant. And to be fair when everything works it really does do a good job. But using so much battery on Internet a fundamental part of a smartphone is truly annoying. And no I don't want to go back to the fruit branded phone.
Any tips tricks that don't mean it turns into slim brick would be truly appreciated.

See if a factory reset resolves the battery issue. Maybe it's a random app that is draining the battery (that you're unaware of).

Maybe it fixes the WiFi issue as well.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

It's probably an app, I doubt its the unit itself. Or maybe bad signal strength, corrupt file, or a sync error.

scottwalton

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have done 2 factory resets already. As for rogue apps, I don't have many just a few from reputable brands. But as mentioned before it only seems to drop once I go searching through the Internet app. Maybe it's the stock Web app?

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have done 2 factory resets already. As for rogue apps, I don't have many just a few from reputable brands. But as mentioned before it only seems to drop once I go searching through the Internet app. Maybe it's the stock Web app?

Are you referring to Samsung's web browser?

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
If you can stomach it, I'd try to do a factory reset (a lot easier to do when you can back up the entire phone using SmartSwitch) and see if it improves. If it doesn't, get it exchanged.

How can you use smart switch in this case? I thought smart switch was only for going from one phone to a different phone

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this was already done... Is your GPS location set on HIGH? Where the phone is constantly pulling GPS data, hence draining your battery life? My friend was complaining about poor battery life... Until I told him to set his GPS location to Battery Saving mode... I'm sure you did that already?

Also did you disable/uninstall any factory Bloatware? Where the apps are also pulling data and draining battery life?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How can you use smart switch in this case? I thought smart switch was only for going from one phone to a different phone

Nope, you can back up with Smart Switch to an SD card/external drive or if you install it in your computer, create a full phone back up that you can then restore to the replacement unit (or to transfer whatever you select to a different Samsung phone if needed).

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that the type of router you connect to can also effect the phone itself. Does it only happen at home or is it also other wireless networks? Is it also only wifi or does it also drain fast on regular data usage. What I like to do is install GSAM battery and Wakelock Detector to see what is causing the battery to die. Make sure you install any updates that could be pending as well. This may have been fixed in an update that you havent installed yet.

scottwalton

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok just checked GSAM and for 11m 9 sec. Bytes sent 10.54mb received 41.35mb The Samsung internet app has used 7.1% of my battery. Surely that is extremely excessive.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I have an S7 Active with an even bigger battery and am in the same boat. This is the second time I've switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy and the thing that I hate most about these phones is the battery life. I never have to tinker with things on my iPhones to make the battery work better and the battery life never varies that much AND is usually longer than that of my Samsungs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000