S7 Battery at 54% in less than four hours

Yardstick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I need some help with my S7. There have been some good days but far too many bad days. The battery just doesn't last. I have WiFi and Sync on, all other location services and mobile data off, screen brightness reduced and today has been fairly light use, but in less than four hours the phone is down to 53% (now, 54% when I started this post). When I check the battery page, Android system is eating 41%, Google Services is at 21%, Android OS is at 9% and Screen is at 9%. This has been a recurring issue with this phone. Since I can't pinpoint an app that is draining the battery, what can I do? Now at 52% in a matter of minutes with the phone mostly idle (typing this on a regular PC). Any ideas?

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I need some help with my S7. There have been some good days but far too many bad days. The battery just doesn't last. I have WiFi and Sync on, all other location services and mobile data off, screen brightness reduced and today has been fairly light use, but in less than four hours the phone is down to 53% (now, 54% when I started this post). When I check the battery page, Android system is eating 41%, Google Services is at 21%, Android OS is at 9% and Screen is at 9%. This has been a recurring issue with this phone. Since I can't pinpoint an app that is draining the battery, what can I do? Now at 52% in a matter of minutes with the phone mostly idle (typing this on a regular PC). Any ideas?

There must be issues with this phone, I have just posted a similar thread. I have 45 mins screen on time and am at 50%, of the charger for almost 5 hours.

malekp

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm also having sudden poor battery life today and seeing these posts am now wondering if there's a software update that's the root cause. My battery life is generally very good but as I was walking around today I noticed my phone was warmer than usual in my pocket. It's taking longer to charge and is draining quickly. I have a similar distribution on the battery page (android system at 40% or so). I had a few app updates recently, but nothing since 9/26 and this definitely seems to have started today. Last system update was 9/23. Turning off WiFi and cellular data didn't seem to help. A few restarts didn't do anything either.

My SD card is also suddenly corrupted too but that may not be related.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having sudden poor battery life today and seeing these posts am now wondering if there's a software update that's the root cause. My battery life is generally very good but as I was walking around today I noticed my phone was warmer than usual in my pocket. It's taking longer to charge and is draining quickly. I have a similar distribution on the battery page (android system at 40% or so). I had a few app updates recently, but nothing since 9/26 and this definitely seems to have started today. Last system update was 9/23. Turning off WiFi and cellular data didn't seem to help. A few restarts didn't do anything either.

My SD card is also suddenly corrupted too but that may not be related.

It's the stupid "Oculus Rooms" app. That crap installed automatically last night, and now it keeps endlessly installing itself. I can't delete it because it always keeps coming back. Look at Lookout:

Attachments

• 2995.jpg
    2995.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 230

cobeachbum

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Same problem started this morning. After reading above, I un-installed Oculus Home first, then the rest of the Oculus suite including Rooms. Seems to have stopped the constant scan of Oculus Rooms. Phone is charging now, so we'll see what happens. Another interesting thing that started this morning. About every 15 minutes, my phone would sound some kind of alarm. Still haven't figured out what it was, but it stopped after I took it off the charger.

John aka cobeachbum

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Same problem started this morning. After reading above, I un-installed Oculus Home first, then the rest of the Oculus suite including Rooms. Seems to have stopped the constant scan of Oculus Rooms. Phone is charging now, so we'll see what happens. Another interesting thing that started this morning. About every 15 minutes, my phone would sound some kind of alarm. Still haven't figured out what it was, but it stopped after I took it off the charger.

John aka cobeachbum

Same. The only way to fix the problem was to uninstall everything Oculus related. At least my phone is no longer overheating and losing charge.

Tylr_r

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I've been having the same issue. Here is the graph of my battery drain: Screenshot_20160929-095230.png
The only difference I noticed was the Oculus Rooms as well. If I uninstalled everything Oculus how can I get it back after everything is fixed?

cobeachbum

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Bartholomew (Oculus Support)

Sep 29, 1:43 PM PDT

Hey John,

I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

We are aware of the issue and we are currently looking into it.

Please let me know if there is any other way that we can assist you in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Bartholomew
Oculus Support

Tony Surma

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am sooooo thankful this isn't just me, i was losing my mind on what was causing it until i saw these posts. Thanks all for the community help. I have had zero battery issues until today.

cobeachbum

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Finn (Oculus Support)

Sep 29, 2:30 PM PDT

Hello John,

We have released a new update that addresses this issue.

It is currently being rolled out.

You should see a message that states "Your Oculus Application has been updated."

If the update has not yet occurred, please try restarting your phone and then open the Oculus software.

Please let us know if that has not resolved the issue for you.

Thank you,

Finn
Oculus Support

cobeachbum

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
To re-install Oculus, unlock your phone, put it in the headset. When prompted, remove phone from headset and install apps.

John aka cobeachbum

k_rind24

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7 with T-Mobile, and my phone just received an OTA updated on Tuesday night. I installed it right away. I noticed my battery draining incredibly quick on Wednesday and today. For example, I just let my phone die, charged it to 100%, took it off the charger, and pretty much let it sit there. After 1 hr and 15 min, my phone was at 77%... Android system and Google Play services were at 40% and 29%, and Screen (15 min on time) and OS both at 9%. I deleted everything related to Oculus since I haven't used my VR headset in a few months.

Edit: I forgot to add that I received a Samsung notification saying "Battery is draining faster than it is charging." I had nothing open on the phone and it was just sitting there on the charger.

Last edited:

Yardstick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I wiped mine with a full factory reset and started over. Tempting to root the thing and really get rid of as much bloatware as possible, but for now I'll try this. I didn't reinstall Oculus and skipped a few other apps I haven't used in a while. I'll see how this does for a day or so. Really disappointed with this phone. I should have known something was fishy when they were giving away auxiliary batteries with the phone.

bilihor

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I did AT&T system upgrade day or 2 ago.
Before that upgrade everything was good. After upgrade my phone died in 4 hours with screen turned off.

Kontos

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled the gear vr apps and oculus apps but I still see oculus rooms is constantly installing/being scanned. Anyone successfully get it to stop? I tried installing oculus again in hopes the update mentioned would stop it but oculus room kept doing it's thing so i uninstalled it again.

Smoje

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the help about Oculus Rooms! I had exactly the same issue with my S6 Edge and now I'm unistalling everything related about Oculus apps and Gear VR, because my smartphone was draining battery SO FAST (started at 100% 2 hours ago, now it's 76%)

ChazTyldsley

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the heads up on Oculus. I was pulling my hair out last night trying to sort this. My phone was in an absolute mess - lagging and stuttering constantly, permanently hot, and draining battery rapidly. Woke up this morning with the phone on the wireless charger sat at 22%. Read this thread and uninstalled everything Oculus/GearVR that I could.

Drove to work and it lost 1% in the 15-20 min journey and was actually cool to the touch for once. So it's looking like things are definitely improved but I'll get it charged back up and test today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis