How do the foreign-language keyboards function?

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded keyboards in a few languages I'd like to use when texting and emailing.

On the "English" keyboard, there are arrows pointing to the left and right but the keyboard always remains in "English" mode. Above the row of numbers, I see words appear and if I tap on a word, it replaces what I typed. Is this how the keyboards function? It seems like a lot of work to have to tap on so many words.

I'm comparing to the iPhone where I was able to access keyboards that included accents and spell checking in different languages when texting or emailing. When typing in another language, I’d simply tap to switch to that keyboard/language. Is this possible on the s7?

Thanks.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what you're asking here Laurie, are you using the stock Samsung keyboard or other like SwiftKey.? From memory, you go to settings on keyboard and enable the functions like spell check, predict etc. Mine is set up for two languages and it seamlessly flows whichever language i happen to be typing in. It's Android, not ios, be patient and learn how it works and you'll be typing at speed on no time! Try the flow function it's super fast...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Laurie, I agree with Tim, the right steps will depend on which keyboard you're using. With SwiftKey you don't need switch between languages, just type, or swipe, and it will detect it automatically. With others you need to switch languages with the space bar or with the 'world' icon next to it. Tell us which one you're using and we'll try to help you out. I use three different languages and SwiftKey or Google keyboard are great at that.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what you're asking here Laurie, are you using the stock Samsung keyboard or other like SwiftKey.? From memory, you go to settings on keyboard and enable the functions like spell check, predict etc. Mine is set up for two languages and it seamlessly flows whichever language i happen to be typing in. It's Android, not ios, be patient and learn how it works and you'll be typing at speed on no time! Try the flow function it's super fast...

I'm using the stock Samsung keyboard; didn't know there are other options. In the meantime, I read something about this topic in the user manual: "To switch between languages, slide the space bar sideways." I had tried to switch by tapping, which didn't work. Sliding it sideways works.

Do you use the Samsung keyboard or are you using SwiftKey? I just tried with the Samsung keyboard and it was able to detect and switch languages. Fabulous!

Thanks.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello Laurie, I agree with Tim, the right steps will depend on which keyboard you're using. With SwiftKey you don't need switch between languages, just type, or swipe, and it will detect it automatically. With others you need to switch languages with the space bar or with the 'world' icon next to it. Tell us which one you're using and we'll try to help you out. I use three different languages and SwiftKey or Google keyboard are great at that.

Greetings, Javier.

I'm using the keyboard that came with the phone so assume it's the stock Samsung keyboard. After finding out how to activate the keyboard by sliding it to one side and then after reading your message and Tim's, I tried typing in 3 languages and the keyboard functioned fine, without my having to do anything except type :)

I'm curious to hear more about SwiftKey. What are some of the features you like the most, and is it an app I can download from the Play Store?

Thanks.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I used SwiftKey for a long time and it's great when you use different languages, but I switched to Google keyboard after they released the new version. They included new features and the prediction machine got much better. I swipe instead of type and I find GK more accurate. This thread can be helpful.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=661530

This is the link for SwiftKey.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&token=aZFo6c-U

And this one for Google keyboard.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ogle.android.inputmethod.latin&token=E-vZFN4M

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
SwiftKey just plain works better. I'm more used to the layout, and all the more commonly used symbols and accented characters are accessible via long press. The prediction accuracy of Swiftkey is also higher. I could type one word and Swiftkey and it can predict the rest of the sentence. Of course this depends on how long you have been using it. It learns your sentence patterns the more you use it.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Javier:

This is getting more interesting all the time. Thanks for the links. I read the thread. I might gradually try the other two keyboards (SwiftKey and Google) in order to compare.

What do you mean when you say you swipe instead of type? I'm trying to envision that. Maybe there's something on YouTube?

Also, reading through the thread, this question arose: How does a keyboard display in a larger size? Seems like the width of the phone would restrict the size to the width of the phone.

And lastly, I suppose that if one wants to type in a language with a different script that it would not be possible for the keyboard to automatically change to that language and that the user would need to manually switch over. Since you are using the GK, can you let me know if Punjabi (also called Gurmukhi) is one of the languages available with that keyboard?

Thanks.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
SwiftKey just plain works better. I'm more used to the layout, and all the more commonly used symbols and accented characters are accessible via long press. The prediction accuracy of Swiftkey is also higher. I could type one word and Swiftkey and it can predict the rest of the sentence. Of course this depends on how long you have been using it. It learns your sentence patterns the more you use it.

Impressive. I will try SwiftKey. When you say that symbols and accented characters are accessible via long press, does this mean you hold down a key and that you can watch it display some different options, then release the key when it displays the one you want?

Thank you.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Javier:

This is getting more interesting all the time. Thanks for the links. I read the thread. I might gradually try the other two keyboards (SwiftKey and Google) in order to compare.

What do you mean when you say you swipe instead of type? I'm trying to envision that. Maybe there's something on YouTube?

Also, reading through the thread, this question arose: How does a keyboard display in a larger size? Seems like the width of the phone would restrict the size to the width of the phone.

And lastly, I suppose that if one wants to type in a language with a different script that it would not be possible for the keyboard to automatically change to that language and that the user would need to manually switch over. Since you are using the GK, can you let me know if Punjabi (also called Gurmukhi) is one of the languages available with that keyboard?

Thanks.

Swipe/Flow/Gesture typing is when you slide your finger (usually your thumb) from letter to letter to form the word. This is great specially if you use your phone with one hand and prediction works better. After a little while the keyboard 'learns' how you swipe and accuracy is not so important.

With both keyboards you can change the size and layout and with Google keyboard you can change the height using a slider in the settings.

I didn't find Punjabi in the GK but it is in SwiftKey. Add it as language and as layout and you can switch between different layouts using the space bar.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Impressive. I will try SwiftKey. When you say that symbols and accented characters are accessible via long press, does this mean you hold down a key and that you can watch it display some different options, then release the key when it displays the one you want?

Thank you.
Yes. Just drag your finger to highlight the symbol you want.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I meant to also ask, after downloading a different keyboard such as SwiftKey or GK, how do I get a new keyboard to be the active keyboard?

Thanks.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Excellent work Laurie! Explore your many options. Having used the flow/swipe functions, I can barely type just by pecking at the keys. You have many options for keyboard themes, so you can personalise to your hearts content! I'll often change the theme when I use the phone at night.. You can highlight keys, have them transparent, move the keyboard around, endless options to play with. Happy days!

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Excellent work Laurie! Explore your many options. Having used the flow/swipe functions, I can barely type just by pecking at the keys. You have many options for keyboard themes, so you can personalise to your hearts content! I'll often change the theme when I use the phone at night.. You can highlight keys, have them transparent, move the keyboard around, endless options to play with. Happy days!

Tim:

Those sound like great features. I'll see if I can figure out how to get them to work. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX