galaxy s7 battery drain.. and no i do not have oculus or gear vr

mena139

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed significant drain on my battery as well as the performance of the SOT since the update on 9/23. to the best of my knowledge i do not have the oculus app. i found the gear vr app today and cleared the cache but could not disable it.

looking at the breakdown of the battery usage I see:
Android System 31%
Screen 19%
Android OS 14%
My SOT is now at 1H 43M and i have 16% battery left.
I cannot imagine that it is normal for 31% of my battery to be consumed by the Android System. if anyone has any tips please list em below. I'm desperate to fix this issue.... not desperate enough to switch to an iphone though

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
System, screen and OS using 64% of battery usage usually means that the phone has been downloading updates and doing other housecleaning. ("Android System" is most of the firmware in the phone - anmd this is normal for a while after the update. But over a month is a bit much - has the phone been off most of the time?)

mena139

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Ya while at work I am not on my phone too much so most of the time it has been sitting idle on my desk.

any tips on how to combat this issue?

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed very similar behavior too. Ever since the September security update and also the new AOD update. My battery goes down so fast...

wgs84

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I find that the only thing that really chews up the battery is the screen. All those AMOLED pixels being on at full blast, man my battery consumption can be as high as 50% per hour. Ever since I started manually adjusting the brightness (as opposed to leaving it on Auto), my GS7's battery can last about 1.5 days with two hours of SOT. I leave everything on (wifi, bt, nfc, location, everything). I don't disable apps, but I do let them go into auto power-saving mode after three days. Otherwise, if I just leave my phone sitting around, the battery consumption is less than 0.5% per hour.

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Are you using AT&T S7?

I have ATT S7 G930A - same here - about 2.5 hr SOT @ 15%, not the 5-6 hrs that some claims to get on their S7.

phone mostly idle sitting in office. mostly web browsing, emails & a few whatsapp chats. mostly on WiFi.

andriod system & OS are high % like yours.

My wife's alcatel idol 3 android 6.01 show android system in the 5-8%, with much less running processes listed under android system.

I will try a factory reset and greenify later.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you using AT&T S7?

I have ATT S7 G930A - same here - about 2.5 hr SOT @ 15%, not the 5-6 hrs that some claims to get on their S7.

phone mostly idle sitting in office. mostly web browsing, emails & a few whatsapp chats. mostly on WiFi.

andriod system & OS are high % like yours.

My wife's alcatel idol 3 android 6.01 show android system in the 5-8%, with much less running processes listed under android system.

I will try a factory reset and greenify later.
Try a cache wipe first. Plus if you want the same battery saving power as your wife's phone you'd need to turn of features. The more powerful processor and additional features increase battery drain.

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.
I tried greenify (for about a week now) and gotten somewhat better results - closer to 4 hrs of SOT.

Greenify apps clearly shows some useless apps running in the background which I then uninstall, or hibernate. Hibernating apps seem to help.

Some apps apparently are preventing the phone from going into "doze" mode...

BTW, The app also has a lock screen feature that also supports unlocking with fingerprint (some other lock app doesn't support that).

I will try cache wipe like you suggested, and maybe a factory reset for the sake of scientific experiment... :)

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Update:

I did a cache wipe, SOT about 3.5~4 hrs, not much difference.

AT&T Nov SW update happened, SOT dropped to 2.5~3 hrs!

Did a cache wipe, no diff - still 2.5-3 hrs

Finally did a factory reset, also turned off/disabled any crap app (I also disabled most bloatware previously b4 the recent Nov update so not sure if it made the difference here). SOT now up to 4.5 hrs. :)

My usage pattern on the S7: WiFi on, Display brightness auto, location on, AOD on morning to evening, mostly web surf, email. Using greenify to hibernate apps.

H2oflyer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
No problem with battery drain after updates. My S7 is the Canadian version with the Exynos 8890 SoC which has always had better battery mileage than the SD820.

I use AccuBattery app to monitor background current draw and identify rogue apps. I don't use any so called hibernating apps and have everything running including email synch and GPS.

I'm never lower than about 4.5 SOT with average 5.5 to 6 SOT with about 25% battery left. My usage pattern is similar to previous poster.

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
That's awesome. I have the AT&T SD820 version. From what I read, somehow the AT&T version has poorer battery life than T-Mobile version (also SD820)... go figure.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
No problem with battery drain after updates. My S7 is the Canadian version with the Exynos 8890 SoC which has always had better battery mileage than the SD820.

I use AccuBattery app to monitor background current draw and identify rogue apps. I don't use any so called hibernating apps and have everything running including email synch and GPS.

I'm never lower than about 4.5 SOT with average 5.5 to 6 SOT with about 25% battery left. My usage pattern is similar to previous poster.

I'm in the same boat. I have the 930F with the Exynos and I get noticeably better battery life than others at my work with the US version.

I honestly never give the battery life on my S7 a second thought. I unplug it at about 5:30 am and plug it back in around 11pm and usually have well over 4 hours of SOT. And I stream music all day.

One thing I did notice though is that when I use bluetooth it sucks the battery quick. I don't use it unless I'm in my car (which isn't much) Other than that, I have not disabled anything.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I turn auto brightness on, but set it for a low level first. Then I turn on power saving. Just the basic setting.
The phone runs a little slower, but the speed of the CPU is fast enough I don't really notice it.
The only time I need to turn power saving off is when I run Oculus VR. I plug the headset into the charger during those times.