Samsung Keyboard 1.2.48 vs. 1.3.22 (no alternate symbol chars)

adjacentengels

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I got an S7 a few months ago for work and just recently got a new one for personal use. The older phone has Samsung Keyboard 1.2.48 installed but the new one has 1.3.22. Even though both are the default Samsung Keyboard, the two versions are very different.

The main issue I have with the newer version is that it does not have alternate symbol overlays on the keys but the older one does. Meaning the older one shows a small "+" on the q key, a small "," on the n key, and so on. So if you need one of those symbols, you just hold the key for a second and it uses the symbol. The new keyboard doesn't have this, and holding the key will only show other language options for that letter (umlaut, accents, etc). The new keyboard doesn't even have a comma anywhere. To get any symbol you have to click the Sym key then switch back to go back to letters.

I looked at Google Keyboard and I've modified the Samsung Keyboard to use the PC layout so I get some symbols and a dedicated number row, but the older Samsung Keyboard is what I would really prefer, if possible. Is there any way to revert to the older keyboard revision on my new phone? I'll also be looking at Swiftkey as another option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463