Android Pay vs. Samsung Pay

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how many people use their phone at the check out counter when purchasing things? Do you use Android Pay? Samsung Pay? Which one works best, easiest?
Thanks so much for any input

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay by far. But your bank has to take it for it to work. It literally works anywhere you slide a card. No need for finding the special wifi/tap pay terminals.

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung pay by far. But your bank has to take it for it to work. It literally works anywhere you slide a card. No need for finding the special wifi/tap pay terminals.
I've never used either one yet. What do you mean by "special wifi/tap pay terminal"?

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I've never used either one yet. What do you mean by "special wifi/tap pay terminal"?

Android Pay & Apple Pay use NFC, requiring a compatible POS terminal. Samsung Pay uses MST which will work with any terminal that accepts cards (except gas pumps where the reader is inside the panel). It can also use NFC on newer terminals as well.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've only used Samsung Pay. It worked GREAT for the first 2-3 months with Citi Double Cash card. Then it stopped working at Walmart and Lowes. Capitol One was added to the list of accepted cards so I loaded that one. It's been even more trouble by appearing to have gone thru but the register said it didn't. I've had to call Capitol One twice. Once the transaction went thru but the cashier said it didn't so I swiped my debit card. It actually had worked and the debit didn't...too much trouble! On a recent shopping trip, it failed all 5 times. I'm going back to the "old fashioned" way of paying...swiping my debit card. Maybe some of the bugs (be it with Samsung Pay or Capitol One) will be worked out in a few months.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Similar to this: for android and apple pay you need to find registers that show this symbol or state that they take apple or Android pay. With Samsung pay you don't need to worry about looking for these it should work wherever you slide down a card..I've used it with square readers, card slides built into registers, old card sliders like Walmart, etc. Not sure why some people have a lot of issues with it - may be area related or their specific card they're using related, unsure.
b155f7912942a65412e1d17a9c062de2.jpg

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried it one more time at WM today and it (Samsung Pay) worked. The terminal/phone didn't chirp to let me know it went thru. I wasn't sure till it said approving and asked for my signature.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Tried it one more time at WM today and it (Samsung Pay) worked. The terminal/phone didn't chirp to let me know it went thru. I wasn't sure till it said approving and asked for my signature.
Some don't chirp or beep at all. I have the habit of asking (when at a cashier terminal) if it's ready for the transaction, then I pay with my phone. The Walmart one was tricky those older pay terminals. Sometimes having your case off may help too if it's one of those terminals and not a newer one. Usually though mine works with the otterbox Symmetry on.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
As merchants are slowly transitioning to newer terminals, Samsung Pay and Tap and Pay have become hit or miss. I've given up trying. I still use Walmart Pay at Walmart, use the Exxon SpeedPass dongle (not the app) at an Exxon station, and my chipped credit card everywhere else. It seems to me that it will be a long time before using my smartphone will be easier than -- open wallet -- pull out credit card -- slide or insert credit card -- put credit card back in wallet.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Take phone out of holster - swipe up for Samsung Pay - move phone to card slide slot and put thumb on home button - wait for terminal to beep - put phone back in holster. Can't remember the last time it didn't work that quickly. I'm in Tucson, AZ.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, Samsung Pay is much faster than using your chipped cards.
This.
I had to call the card company to get it set up. Your phone vibrates when it's ready to put it on the card reader.
I've used it at the gun range. No need to sign a paper slip.

coldfilter

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I use Samsung pay all the time. when I upgrade phones I usually change manufacturers. I think in my next upgrade cycle I will be sticking with Samsung solely because of this feature, it's quick convenient and hassle free

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I used it at Bob Evans today for lunch. The cashier got a big kick out of it lol. I want to try it on my Gear S2 Classic watch. If I understand right, the watch needs to be used on the specific tap n pay terminals so it's a little limited.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2