T-Mobile's Device Unlock App on S7 (SM-G930T) - "Unknown failure. Please try again."

onedollarinmywallet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Anybody here use a T-Mobile S7 (SM-G930T) and have successfully SIM unlocked it via the "Device Unlock App" that's preloaded on the phone? I got an S7 for my wife (it was new sealed box that was un-activated, no contract/liens and clean IMEI) and she's using it on T-Mobile prepaid. It meets all the unlock requirements that T-Mobile listed for prepaid service so I reached out to CS and requested an unlock for it. A few days later, they emailed me back with the following:

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference: xxxxxxx
IMEI: xxxxxxxxx

Unlock Code: Device App

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. There is no unlock code provided by the manufacturer to unlock this device. This specific model can only be unlocked by using the Device Unlock app in the device itself. Please be advised that specific requirements will need to be met in order for your device to qualify for a permanent unlock. The unlock requirements can be found at SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile. If you are not eligible for permanent unlocking you can temporary unlock your device and are eligible for five temporary unlocks per year, each for a 30 day period.
Before completing the steps below to unlock your device you must be connected to the internet via a cellular network in order to complete the steps:
1) Launch the Device Unlock app
2) On the first screen, select continue to connect to the server
3) Wait for the device to connect to the server
4) Select the type of unlock: Temporary or Permanent
5) Please wait until the app connects to your carrier and requests to unlock
6) When an "Unlock Approved" message is received
7) Once received restart the device to apply the new unlock settings
Note: The temporary unlock is available only for 30 days after which the device will lock back to T-Mobile

Thank You,

Customer Service
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

However, it doesn't work. Every time I run the app, it would say, "Unlock failed. Unknown failure. Please try again." Very frustrating indeed.

CS is no help, other than saying to run the app again and at one point, another CS said the IMEI wasn't in the system and they would submit another request for an unlock. I get the same email again (albeit with a different reference number) a few days later which obviously doesn't do anything other than repeating what the email said.

Any ideas?

onedollarinmywallet

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Update to this saga:

I finally decided take a chance and bought an unlock service from eBay which uses the official T-Mobile "Device Unlock app" and guess what? IT WORKS! So it seems that despite what T-Mobile's SIM Unlock Dept. telling me (twice!) that the phone was approved to be unlocked, it wasn't and the app would show "Unknown failure message" each time I ran it. Once I got the notice from the eBay seller saying that my phone was unlocked and to run the app, it worked the first try and the phone was permanently unlocked (verified by testing with an AT&T SIM).

Two SIM unlock requests to T-Mobile, three phone calls to CS with the proverbial runarounds and varying degree of inaccurate answers or solutions to the problem. In fact, it only leaves a bad impression of their inept abilities to handle what should be a simple SIM unlock request.

heap11

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I used the T-Mobile device unlock app successfully on an LG G4. However, one thing that I remember from doing it was that I had to keep running the app over and over again before it worked.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Podrías decirme en que web lo hiciste o el perfil de usuario que te ayudo?

Update to this saga:

I finally decided take a chance and bought an unlock service from eBay which uses the official T-Mobile "Device Unlock app" and guess what? IT WORKS! So it seems that despite what T-Mobile's SIM Unlock Dept. telling me (twice!) that the phone was approved to be unlocked, it wasn't and the app would show "Unknown failure message" each time I ran it. Once I got the notice from the eBay seller saying that my phone was unlocked and to run the app, it worked the first try and the phone was permanently unlocked (verified by testing with an AT&T SIM).

Two SIM unlock requests to T-Mobile, three phone calls to CS with the proverbial runarounds and varying degree of inaccurate answers or solutions to the problem. In fact, it only leaves a bad impression of their inept abilities to handle what should be a simple SIM unlock request.