Does Samsung update the unlocked Galaxy phones often?

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Samsung phone, but am wondering if they update the US unlocked Galaxy series more often than mobile provider versions?

Enverdaz

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
As much as I wish I could say yes, they are really slacking MAJOR LEAGUE BIG TIME.. Samsung has not released a security update since the September 1st patch level that was pushed at the tail end of September..
Samsung has really screwed the US Unlocked consumers by breaking their promise to regular security updates to it FLAGSHIP devices and not providing them at all in a timely manner.
I have the G930U. I paid top dollar, cash, out of pocket for it. Every other S7 has seen regular updates including the Carrier branded models with solid regularity. The international Unlocked (G930F / G935F) editions get them monthly. The ONLY version being failed, is the US Unlocked G930U and G935U..
I will flat out tell you to get a Carrier branded edition and suffer with the bloatware because Samsung has FAILED so badly.
They are looking at the potential for CC Companies to revoke their Samsung Pay features if they continue to fall short too, I would imagine. It puts them at risk if Samsung's FLAGSHIP device cannot be maintained across the entire model series. Security Updates for it come at system level too, even though the SPay app itself is able to be updated thru the Galaxy App Store and add features.
Samsung is really putting themselves in a bad position by FAILING to provide the updates.
At this point, I am worried about how long we'll have to wait for Nougat. I fear that the Carrier branded devices will see it months before the US Unlocked editions.
What's needed is for all the people who have an Unlocked edition to get banging on Samsung's eMail boxes and all the blogs and forums and make noise.
Voices in numbers..

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I've got the unlocked model and get them almost on a monthly basis. They did skip one or two of the summer months from what I remember but have recently got back on track. Currently on the December patch.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The difference between an unlocked phone and a SIM-locked phone, as far as updates go, is ... nothing. If the normal update route for that particular phone is through the carrier, and you're on a different carrier, it won't get an update.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
The difference between an unlocked phone and a SIM-locked phone, as far as updates go, is ... nothing. If the normal update route for that particular phone is through the carrier, and you're on a different carrier, it won't get an update.

Never buy a AT&T unlocked phone to use on another carrier. I had an unlocked note 4 I had on metro pcs. I had to learn the hard way that AT&T does some crap to their phone so they can't get updates on other carriers.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Never buy a AT&T unlocked phone to use on another carrier. I had an unlocked note 4 I had on metro pcs. I had to learn the hard way that AT&T does some crap to their phone so they can't get updates on other carriers.

Just to make sure for all when we say Unlocked ,we are Not saying carrier un locked. The models with the problem are SM-G930U. And SM-G935U. These models are supposed to get updates from Samsung. Not carriers...this is the problem...
Thanks, Dave

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes the 930F is not USA version....we owners of the 930U Should get updates like you do...BUT WE DONT, AND SAMSUNG WONT TELL ANYONE WHY??
Thanks, Dave

jadkai

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
What's needed is for all the people who have an Unlocked edition to get banging on Samsung's eMail boxes and all the blogs and forums and make noise.
Voices in numbers..

If anyone knows a physical mailing address, sending an actual letter may be a better option (or do both). Maintain a reasonable tone, but state that you are not seeing any reason to continue purchasing or recommending Samsung products if they fail to support the one you have bought.

davebwi

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Well, I hope you dont want to use Samsung Pay?..cause it 930F wont work in the USA with that model phone...must be carrier or 930U for that to operate..Samsung confirmed that much..thanks Dave

Last edited:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If anyone knows a physical mailing address, sending an actual letter may be a better option (or do both).
Someplace in S. Korea.
Sending letters to Samsung will get you nowhere. They get it from Google, and do what they will with it. They then give it to the carriers for them to do what they will with it.
When everyone is done doing what they will with it, THEN you will get it.
Perhaps find something else to occupy your worry time.

jadkai

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Someplace in S. Korea.
Sending letters to Samsung will get you nowhere. They get it from Google, and do what they will with it. They then give it to the carriers for them to do what they will with it.
When everyone is done doing what they will with it, THEN you will get it.
Perhaps find something else to occupy your worry time.

The SM-G930U does NOT get updates through the carriers. It is Samsung's responsibility to update the U phones, and they are failing in it. Unless they are utter fools, they will care if a customer is expressing dissatisfaction with their products, especially if they take the time to actually send a real letter about it. Obviously, contact should be through Samsung USA.

Samsung's supposed new commitment to providing timely updates for their phones is literally THE reason I am giving them another chance after switching to iPhone for my last phone. I'm not worrying that I don't have the latest bells and whistles. I'm worried that my phone is still not patched for Dirty COW and other serious vulnerabilities that literally every other Galaxy S7 has already been patched for. Samsung is behaving irresponsibly here, and they deserve to hear about it.

jadkai

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Also, in case you are right, and Samsung doesn't care, well then that makes my future purchasing decisions a little easier, since they won't involve Samsung.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Impatience and worry does nothing but give you grey hair at an early age.
Chill, and enjoy the phone. It'll get updated in due time.

The_Newtype

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Rocking a G930U, I'm in the same boat as many of you.

I'm really hoping this and the Edge variant get some type of support from Samsung -- this is getting ridiculous. Lesser devices have received newer security patches, not to mention my Gear Fit 2 has received more updates than the phone!