Facebook Causing Rapid Battery Drain

iadrumbum

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this out there. I have an S7 and have been on chat with Verizon support for the last hour and a half. My started draining faster than it would charge this morning...exactly like what happened with the Oculus update back in September. This time it appears that Facebook and it's related apps might be the culprit. My wife called and told me her and a coworker are experiencing the same issue. Since uninstalling Facebook, Messenger, and Pages Manager, my phone started charging again. Hope this helps someone else who might be frustrated and looking for the source of the same issue.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this out there. I have an S7 and have been on chat with Verizon support for the last hour and a half. My started draining faster than it would charge this morning...exactly like what happened with the Oculus update back in September. This time it appears that Facebook and it's related apps might be the culprit. My wife called and told me her and a coworker are experiencing the same issue. Since uninstalling Facebook, Messenger, and Pages Manager, my phone started charging again. Hope this helps someone else who might be frustrated and looking for the source of the same issue.

Facebook is definitely the culprit in most situations. Russell's article on this subject is a good read: It turns out uninstalling Facebook for Android is pretty great | Android Central

agrafixman

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I can confirm with a similar issue. Woke up this morning, grabbed my phone and drove 20 minutes to work. By the time I got to work, my phone was BLAZING hot and battery had drained to 75%. Advanced Task Manager indicated that Facebook and Messenger were causing the "CPU to Lag". I rebooted, several times and cleared the system cache trying to fix the situation to no avail.

I could barely charge the phone... in fact, plugged in, it only kept pace with the battery loss; never really charging. Uninstalling Messenger and disabling Facebook (apparently you can't actually uninstall it on an S7) definitely fixed the problem and my phone charged from 70% to about 85% in 10 minutes once I made the move.

Hopefully, Facebook fixes their issue soon.

Jeremy
Cleveland(ish), Ohio

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a Pixel and what a relieve to see this post. I got it recently and thought what the hell is wrong with the battery. Examining the settings made realize its the Facebook app which is taking all the battery. And I haven't even been using it.

It's the Facebook app across all devices I guess. I have a Facebook page as well with the Facebook page manager app. Checked just now and it was this app plus the Facebook app together eating up all the battery. Can't uninstall Facebook but did uninstall page manager.

GilmourD

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here. Weird thing, though, is that it started today but on both devices exhibiting the issue Facebook last updated December 13th and I will Messenger December 12th.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I Re-installed the app and the problem has been fixed.

Before doing this the app was consuming battery without even being used. Now it's not.

See if it helps.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Also got the drain starting from this morning. My phone started giving me warnings that Facebook and Messenger were guzzling power.

Uninstalling Messenger and disabling Facebook (apparently you can't actually uninstall it on an S7)

You can completely uninstall Facebook on the Exynos S7. Instead of Facebook we have Microsoft Office preinstalled as system level apps.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It has been happening on a lot of phones today. Not sure what FB is doing but def. not cool.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife always asks me to take a look at her phone and figure out the battery drain. I keep telling her to uninstall Facebook .... but she refuses. So, she has horrible battery life. Simply thinks the app is better than the website, which it probably is.

I'm more of a "feed me with twitter" person myself. Facebook is too much for me. To each their own.

Lmendes91

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site

I've been experiencing a fast battery drain in the last couple of days, and yesterday I did notice that right in the morning Messenger had 15% of my battery and I hadn't opened it or at least not enough to drain my battery like that... I normally use Facebook a lot during the day... I'll keep and eye on it..
Thanks

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Happened to me yesterday, too. I think the issues were, Android, Facebook and Facebook Messenger. Day before, phone was at 60+% when I got home. Yesterday, 39%. Put FB Messenger on Auto Power Save, will see what difference that and a day make.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Chrome can be set up to send notifications from FB without having the app. Sure you are using the mobile site, but it's a lot less of battery killer than the app can be.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Facebook is at the top of my list of battery draining culprits, as well. I think it may be time to use a browser Facebook alternative...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol