I took a 9-day cruise with NCL over the holidays. The ship offers unlimited internet for $30 /day, single-device connection at a time. So I thought the wifi-sharing (unique to S7/S7 edge) would work perfectly. So I did just that, and here is my report.

In a short summary, it worked as intended. I connected to the ship's wifi first, and shared it with as many as 5 devices that my family have at times (a few iPhones, iPads, a MacBook, and a Chromecast). A few remarks to take note:

- the speed is slow in general, don't expect to stream anything, even when only one device is connected (no sharing).
    - airplane mode must NOT be on for Wifi Sharing to work, be careful with your regular carrier's phone/data plan running off roaming.
    - when I setup the hotspot, I made sure "hide my device" option is used for security
    - the ship blocked excess to certain sites, Google store for example. So I couldn't download or update any apps. A workaround is VPN apps. Make sure you have that setup in advance.
    - iCloud backup on iPhones did not work due to very slow connection, Google photos backup did work, although slowly.
    - battery life takes a hit with the signal broadcast, bring an external battery pack.
    - the ship's stayed-sign-in connection is not too stable when I moved around different locations of the ship. It requires logging out and in to fix it. Sometimes I have to do it a few times a day.
    - Chromecast worked to connect to the shared network. In theory I could stream saved movies to it. But the TVs on the ship do not allow you to switch to the HDMI input. No luck.
    01-14-2017 12:02 PM
    Wow. Not only cruises cost an arm and a half but they CHARGE $30/day for their slowpoke, saturated wifi?!
    01-14-2017 01:20 PM
    I don't mind that -- it's a good way to force me to relax even more, and rip my eyeballs away from a device!
    01-14-2017 05:46 PM
    Thanks for the tip!
    01-15-2017 09:14 AM