S7 New User Questions (coming from iPhone)

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up a Sammy S7 (Verizon) and ditching my IP7.

A few questions:

1) will the Smart Switch transfer ALL of my purchased music currently on my iPhone to the S7?

2) is Android N (7.0) available for Verizon S7?

3) what tweaks are recommended to fully optimize the S7 for a better user experience and for a better battery life.

4) better browser: stock S-Browser or Chrome?

5) is a screen protector a must? I've read that tempered glass screen protectors are somewhat of a pain with the S7. I prefer not having a SP but will the S7 screen scratch and scuff easily?

6) anything else I need to know switching over from an iPhone?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! Welcome to Android!

1) Depends on where you bought it. If it's from the Apple store, it will only transfer the files that have been downloaded to your phone. For the rest, you'd have to download the MP3 files to a computer or SD Card and transfer to your phone manually or using a 3rd party app to sync with your desktop music (Smart Switch can also do this on your PC, assuming all tracks have been downloaded).

2) Not yet. Nougat update for carriers is expected in Q1, however, so it shouldn't be long.

3)I'm gonna be a bit 'broad' on this one: Turn off anything you don't need (NFC, WiFi Direct, BT, etc.) and use auto-brightness. You can always use the Battery Saver features if you're in a pinch, but that will limit a lot on your phone. If you can stomach it, you can set your screen to a lower resolution to save battery, but you do lose crispness and detail on screen.

4)I prefer Chrome just because it lets me sync with other devices and I can switch from computer to mobile and to tablet and not lose my browsing.

5) I've been using my Edge without a screen protector for a month now since the one I had (thin film) just started to peel off after a few days at the beach and the screen is scratch-free so far. BUT you do have to be careful. Sand, especially, will scratch the glass easily with the right grain and the right spot and the right rub. Glass protectors are worse on the Edge, but they do protect the S7 better, but most will have a 'halo' around them because of the slightly curved edges on the S7's, well, edges.

6) Anything Apple will be hard to 'port' to Android, and of course, you'll miss iMessage. But other than the latter, you can eventually port and substitute Apple's services. These might help.
How to get your iTunes music onto Android | Android Central
How to transfer contacts from iPhone to Android | Android Central

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey man for #1

There is a Google play add on for your computer it will put any songs you've got on your computer (including iTunes purchases) and let them hang around the cloud so you can stream them. Or down load directly to your device to play via the play music app. Hope this helps

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

ALL of the music on my iPhone has been purchased through the iTunes store - so Smart Switch should not have a problem transferring them over to the S7 I hope.

My main concern is the transferring of the contacts, calendar, photos as well as the purchased music via the Smart Switch.

Everything else I can set up manually.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't have a problem with those either, I believe. But for future reference, even if you decide to go back to iPhones, keep your contacts in Google (and Calendar and Photos, too, if it were me). They're always safe in the cloud should anything happen and are a lot easier to sync with new devices cross-platform than with Apple's closed ecosystem. But that's just me.

Oh, and you can go back to any state within the past 30 days, so even if you accidentally change or delete something, it's still 'fixable' within a month.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks SpookDroid. One last thing, what's the best Android equivalent to "Find My Friends" that is cross platform (iOS and Android)?

Previously I've tried Family Locator but that app murders my battery and it's always on in the iPhone even when you are not using the app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Since that's a feature I don't like, I haven't really dabbled in it a lot, but I do know that Google+, Maps, or Hangouts allow you to do this. Even Facebook, I believe, if you give it the right permissions.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
#1. It will not.
I use isyncer to transfer files, works on wifi and USB. Made specifically for iTunes.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Alright. I got EVERYTHING transferred over from my IP7 to the S7. Went smoothly w/o a hitch.

I've got a couple of more questions please:

1) is there an Ad Blocker that works with mobile Chrome? Everything in the Play Store is for the Samsung browser.

2) I'm using the stock email app and I've noticed that there is NO mail icon on the 'Always On Display" screen. Missed calls and new texts show up there but not new emails. Is this how it is with the stock email app or might it be a settings issue? I've looked everywhere buy couldn't find a fix.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Google Chrome adblocker, adblock + I think. Although I mostly prefer the Samsung browser as it allows fingerprint sign in for websites.

As for the email app. No idea. However we will be getting N soon and it will support third party. Gmail seems to work better

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I switched to the Samsung browser. Way better and faster than Chrome and is also supported by ad blocking apps.

Any idea when N 7.0 is coming to the Verizon variant of the S7? Has Samsung or Verizon announced a date yet?

Google Chrome adblocker, adblock + I think. Although I mostly prefer the Samsung browser as it allows fingerprint sign in for websites.

As for the email app. No idea. However we will be getting N soon and it will support third party. Gmail seems to work better

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Alright. I got EVERYTHING transferred over from my IP7 to the S7. Went smoothly w/o a hitch.

I've got a couple of more questions please:

1) is there an Ad Blocker that works with mobile Chrome? Everything in the Play Store is for the Samsung browser.

2) I'm using the stock email app and I've noticed that there is NO mail icon on the 'Always On Display" screen. Missed calls and new texts show up there but not new emails. Is this how it is with the stock email app or might it be a settings issue? I've looked everywhere buy couldn't find a fix.

1) Only the Samsung one (and I think Opera?) support AdBlockers (or have APIs for that), unfortunately. If that's a feature you want, you'll need to switch browsers. Chrome mobile still doesn't support it.

2) I don't have it active and don't use the stock app, BUT I read something about that in another thread. Apparently the new update to AOD 'breaks' e-mail notifications. Also, for the S7, 3rd party app support is still not in the AOD, but it will be once you get the Nougat update, so it's coming. Hopefully they'll fix the e-mail one soon, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci