Not receiving gmail notifications

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello Everyone!!!! I need your help. I'm not receiving gmail notifications on my phone. I've tried some troubleshooting steps. I've gone to Settings > Device > Notifications and turned gmail notifications on. I've gone into the gmail app itself and went to settings and have turned notifications on. It seems as though if I go into my inbox and take my thumb and swipe down to refresh my inbox e-mails show up. I don't know what else to do or what else to try. Can anyone help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any power-saving modes or apps turned on or installed? Also, is Restrict Background Data turned on in Settings>Data Usage?

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Any power-saving modes or apps turned on or installed? Also, is Restrict Background Data turned on in Settings>Data Usage?

Power saving mode is off. Ultra power saving mode is off. The only apps that I have installed on the phone that didn't come pre-installed on the phone are Gmail, YouTube, The Weather Channel for Samsung, BR Team Stream, Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook Messenger, and iTranslate. As far as I know Restrict background data is not on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To make sure Restrict Background Data is off, go to Settings>Data Usage, select Gmail, and make sure the Restrict option isn't checked there. I mention this because it's possible to restrict data for specific apps (rather than doing it universally).

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
To make sure Restrict Background Data is off, go to Settings>Data Usage, select Gmail, and make sure the Restrict option isn't checked there. I mention this because it's possible to restrict data for specific apps (rather than doing it universally).

So I go to Settings > Connections > Data usage and when I scroll through the list of applications Gmail is no where to be found.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you swipe down the Quick Settings, is the Auto Sync toggle turned on? I'm assuming it is, since you said "as far as as I know" to the question about syncing. But let's just double check.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
If you swipe down the Quick Settings, is the Auto Sync toggle turned on? I'm assuming it is, since you said "as far as as I know" to the question about syncing. But let's just double check.

When I click on Settings and then go to Quick Settings there is no Auto Sync toggle. There's just Sounds and vibrations, Display, Themes, Lock screen and security, Battery, and Help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't actually laid eyes on the main auto-sync setting, it's still a good idea to confirm it's on. Where it's located can depend on the phone. On the Nexus 6P, it's at Settings>Accounts, then Menu. In other phones, I've seen it in Settings>Data Usage. If your settings menu has a search function, just search for auto-sync.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
If you haven't actually laid eyes on the main auto-sync setting, it's still a good idea to confirm it's on. Where it's located can depend on the phone. On the Nexus 6P, it's at Settings>Accounts, then Menu. In other phones, I've seen it in Settings>Data Usage. If your settings menu has a search function, just search for auto-sync.

So I went to Settings and tapped search at the top and typed in auto-sync and it says no results found.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you look in those menu locations, then? It's tucked away somewhere -- you just need to find it.

I just checked my wife's Note5, which is most likely the same as your S7 -- I found the option in the Settings>Accounts menu, after tapping More.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let's back up a little bit -- are any apps serving up notifications normally? That is, is it just Gmail that seems to be the problem?

Mondi back-up

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Solution - you should turn on the notifications. To do so, the following:

*Open your Gmail app and go to Settings.
*Tap on one of the accounts which is listed below (your email accounts) and check Notifications

*Enjoy!

PS: in my case the notifications were not received since the moment I removed Inbox app (a gmail app)

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Can I open this back up?
I'm having a lot of trouble with gmail notifications on my S7. I checked all the steps as listed by B. Diddy and they're all a go.
I have 12 gmail accounts on my phone, and only get occasional alerts to new emails. If I log in to my account on a PC then I immediately get a notification on my phone for any new messages I have (thanks for nothing), or if I open gmail and view all my accounts and pull down to refresh, I will usually get notifications within a couple minutes. But I don't like that I have to try to remember to constantly do that (because I almost never remember). I have a couple business emails in there and it's going to start impacting my business any minute now!!
I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling, because since I have 12 accounts it will be such a big pain in my butt, but if that's a likely solution then I guess I can give it a go...

Please offer any other suggestions you may have!

Thanks in advance!

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Notifications and synching turned on, no restrictions to background data for the app. It is clearly a problem with the app and not anything we've done, as all my other apps including outlook work just fine and I get emails on outlook instantly. I just missed an important deadline because this app didn't notify me that I received an email. Where is the support for this app? Who do I contact?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance