Is the S7 the best phone you've ever used?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For all the S7 owners out there (full disclosure, I've used one quite a bit, but don't currently own one!)... is the S7 the best phone you've ever used? If yes, why? If not, how come?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my wife has had the S7 and the S7 Edge and I'd still take my 6P over either. Damn fine phones though. But there are still a few things that get in the way of the experience, at least in my opinion... Odd UI quirks, like how they had broke the app chooser function for a while, some apps (like Google Fit) never updating properly for inexplicable reasons, the FPS is junk, etc.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
From a specifications standpoint, it's the best phone I've owned. But ergonomically, I still prefer my Z5 compact. Not just because it's smaller, though that is a big part of it, but I dislike the physical home button, and really loved having the fingerprint sensor in the side mounted power button (I have the international version). I also don't like that the back and menu soft keys are also backwards from vanilla android. I press the wrong one all the time if I switch from my nexus tablet to the sg7 and vice versa all the time. I do prefer the screen over my Sony though. Backlit lcds bleed so much light when used as a clock at night.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes...I have no desire to upgrade this year, it's done all I can ask of it. It could be the one phone that eclipses my usual 2 year cycle.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, yes. My S7 is snappy and I don't have any issues since buying it 10 months ago. I may upgrade to the S8 when it comes out via the ATT NEXT program if the S8 seems to be a substantial improvement.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
It is my first android phone, and while I like both the OS generally (especially with Nova Launcher) and really enjoy Samsung Pay, the biggest thing that keeps it from being the best is the atrocious battery life I have experienced in the first couple months.

It seems to be related largely to a weak signal--despite my area supposedly having great LTE coverage. I'm lucky to get through an entire day with light to moderate usage. On my 2 year-old iPhone 6, I made it through 2-3 days with more usage and a comparable signal (being in the same places with the same carrier).

I will say I do not plan on going back to the iPhone any time soon, but the battery life has be wondering if I'll stick with Samsung. Although it would be hard to abandon Samsung Pay now that I've gotten so used to it.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The best is oddly subjective. Mechanically and gimmicks it is the best, but the software is subpar after the last update, battery life and performance took a giant hit. My Moto Z Play smokes it in smoothness and opening apps. Battery life and charging speed are beyond better as is the fingerprint sensor. But the S7 is still better in every other way and I wouldn't switch, but that battery life needs to be in the S7.
On the other end of the spectrum is my LG L90. It cost me $50 new. It's tiny compared to the S7... But, if you don't want/need Samsung pay, NFC, wireless charging, a good camera, gaming, fast charge it's a great phone. It fits the hand nicely, will run any social app, gets 3 day battery, charges faster than the S7. For someone who wants a basic smartphone they do not care about and is reliable it's a far better phone than the S7.

But the S7 is still my favorite phone to date.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my wife has had the S7 and the S7 Edge and I'd still take my 6P over either. Damn fine phones though. But there are still a few things that get in the way of the experience, at least in my opinion... Odd UI quirks, like how they had broke the app chooser function for a while, some apps (like Google Fit) never updating properly for inexplicable reasons, the FPS is junk, etc.
My experience is exactly opposite of yours. While the 6P was a great device, if the battery wasn't that abysmal (3-3.5 hours SOT), I would've stuck with and not the Exynos S7E. 6P was an awesome device, I would still prefer it's FFC and rear camera picture quality over the S7E and the front facing speakers and one of the best out there. Only if Google paid more attention on optimizing battery life on Nougat 7.1.x.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a Pixel XL and just bought an S7 because of compatibility issues between my new Gear S3 and the Pixel. The Pixel has much superior battery life and the speed and fluidity of the Pixel just can't be beat. I have used Samsung phones since the S2 and have had all of them, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, Note 5 and now the S7. When I switched over to Fi I swore that I would never buy another carrier branded and locked phone, but I love the Gear S3 enough to make me break that vow.

The S7 has its own merits such as the great screen and working with the Gear S3 instead of fighting it. So, for me, its a trade off. I'm not liking the Samsung lag (if you haven't tried a Pixel you may not see it), but I am loving the Gear-S7 duo. My wife is taking over my Pixel XL and her Nexus 6P will be joining my two 6P's and I will probably be putting them up for sale soon.

For me, I would say that both are great phones, each has its strengths and having either one will provide a great user experience. It really depends on your needs and perceptions. If not for the Gear issues I would never have moved on from my Pixel, but now that I'm on the S7 I'm still a happy camper and the smartwatch/S7 deal makes the S7 an ideal phone for MY uses. As always, YMMV!

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Seeing as I had iPhone before this I freaking love it haha.

Though that new crackberry looks amazing to me mostly cause I do enjoy a physical keyboard