I just received the Nougat update for t-mobile (finally) and everything went well. The font and color schemes are nice and the new icons seems pleasant. However the device is stuttering quite a bit. I'm not sure if its because cache is all deleted and needs to be rebuilt or what but I am curious, in this day and age do we still need to reset the phone and reformat everything after a OS update? will this smooth things out?
    02-17-2017 11:55 AM
    I hope for the sake of all of us with S7's and S7Edges that stuttering is not going to be a fact of life following the OS update. Personally, I HATE, DESPISE, DREAD, major OS updates. Not one phone I've owned has been made "better" by a major OS update.
    Jimmy Bernstein likes this.
    02-17-2017 12:50 PM
    I just received the Nougat update for t-mobile (finally) and everything went well. The font and color schemes are nice and the new icons seems pleasant. However the device is stuttering quite a bit. I'm not sure if its because cache is all deleted and needs to be rebuilt or what but I am curious, in this day and age do we still need to reset the phone and reformat everything after a OS update? will this smooth things out?
    I always do a factory reset after all major updates and have never had an issue.
    02-17-2017 12:54 PM
    I hope for the sake of all of us with S7's and S7Edges that stuttering is not going to be a fact of life following the OS update. Personally, I HATE, DESPISE, DREAD, major OS updates. Not one phone I've owned has been made "better" by a major OS update.
    the stuttering seems to be going away the more I use it. Must be a cache thing.
    monsieurms likes this.
    02-17-2017 01:21 PM
    I got the update...it's getting faster. Love the notifications on the lock screen! And I finally can use multi-cultural emojis. I had some luck with apps that supported it, but had spotty results since T-Mobile isn't so keen on 3rd party texting apps. The camera app is nice too.

Overall I'm pleased...but it's been like 20 minutes.
    02-17-2017 03:43 PM
    Nice update. Glad I'm finally able to set the phone from automatically connecting to certain wifi networks without needing to remove them. Kind of bummed that the update removed that widget that shows your chosen apps based on your location, but I'm pretty sure something like that exists on the Google Play store.
    02-17-2017 05:58 PM
    BTW are we suppose to keep this phone in FHD? does this increase performance and save battery? What did you guys do?
    02-18-2017 12:50 AM
    We are supposed to use the device as we please, but from what I've heard the FHD will increase battery life and it actually makes sense aswell.
    02-18-2017 06:35 AM
    Nice update. Glad I'm finally able to set the phone from automatically connecting to certain wifi networks without needing to remove them. Kind of bummed that the update removed that widget that shows your chosen apps based on your location, but I'm pretty sure something like that exists on the Google Play store.
    That widget is actually a Samsung one and may be available from the Samsung Galaxy Apps store.
    02-18-2017 05:14 PM
    I've actually had the exact opposite experience with the update.

Ever since getting my S7 in the fall, the lag and frame dropping was getting worse and worse, to the point I was thinking about just getting rid of the phone all together.

Since updating to Nougat earlier today, my phone's actually been awesome. After the update, it got SUPER hot and lagged up a lot as all of the apps updated and whatnot, but since then my phone has been performing better than it ever has.

It seems like the animations in general are better - allowing for more fluid - albeit slightly slower - transitions rather than transitions that were super fast in theory, but always seemed to drop frames due to moving too fast for the phone to handle.

My phone has also been running much cooler than it was before. The other problem I consistently had with it before was that it would get quite hot after extended use, which seemed to exacerbate the lag even more. I've been using the phone nonstop for over and hour now and it feels cooler than it ever did before.

The overall redesign is pretty nice too. I like the new font, notification and settings menus, and being able to customize the power saving mode is great too. It really lets you get the most out of the phone.
    02-18-2017 10:55 PM
    I'm checking for updates and have a huge one so this is probably it. Oh well hopefully 7.0 goes well on the S7 Edge and can work well enough until mid April when the s8 Plus comes out or I might go back to my v20.
    02-18-2017 11:48 PM
    Mine lagged right after update but smoothed out and is running perfect.
    02-19-2017 12:06 AM
    Mine lagged right after update but smoothed out and is running perfect.
    Yeah first it will lag but give it a few hours and it gets faster and smoother
    02-20-2017 08:33 PM
    I just applied the update and had none of the issues mentioned. If anything, the phone is faster and smoother than before. More in depth observations to follow.
    02-20-2017 10:06 PM
    I had quite a bit of lag after the update, most of which has now disappeared.

The only issue I'm having is with Google Inbox. Still quite slow to load, quite a bit of lag. Anyone else use Inbox and having the same issue?

No problem at all using the Gmail app. I prefer inbox, and would rather not go back to using Gmail.
    02-21-2017 07:32 AM
    I've had no major problems with the update, except that split-screen now seems more cumbersome than it was in past.
    Also, I find it annoying that they make you revisit basic settings like whether you want an analog or digital clock on your "Always On" display--Samsung encourages frequent updating of phones and OS's, but makes it a pain to do so.
    02-21-2017 10:20 AM
    The only thing the update disturbed on my device was two Pixel Icons I chose to apply to the phone and text messaging apps on my home screen. The Facebook and camera icons remained but the other two just disappeared. Not a big deal and I simply put the two back on the home screen where I like them. Other than that, no issues at all and the phone is buttery smooth and fast. I love that I can now have a photo I took on the lock screen.
    1812dave likes this.
    02-21-2017 01:40 PM
    No major issues here, but the keyboard is acting up. On marshmallow it was great, but now word predictions are way off and its almost unusable. I really like the keyboard better than any out there because it was the only one that would let me use two languages at the same time and I could type words in both languages in the same sentence. Now its just garbage.
    02-21-2017 11:12 PM
    Biggest issue I'm now having is Facebook stops responding, and I get an option to restart the app, or send feedback. Anyone else?
    02-23-2017 07:13 PM
    I just realized I can't run HBO Go with this update. it won't even find it in the play Store because it says it's incompatible?? man this sucks
    02-24-2017 01:25 PM
    I just realized I can't run HBO Go with this update. it won't even find it in the play Store because it says it's incompatible?? man this sucks
    I am sure HBO will update the app soon to support Android N on the S7.
    02-24-2017 01:39 PM
    I am sure HBO will update the app soon to support Android N on the S7.
    Weird. It works fine on other phones with Nougat.
    02-24-2017 01:57 PM
    Weird. It works fine on other phones with Nougat.
    It can be a specific bug with the S7 software though. Remember Samsung phones are running a modified Nougat.. aka Samsung's version.
    02-24-2017 02:01 PM
    I'm still waiting for the update. I have an unlocked S7 Edge with T-mobile sim.
    02-24-2017 02:10 PM
    gosh I would think hbo would see if they're app would work with androids biggest vendor. idiots
    02-28-2017 03:08 PM